IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Will this cause an issue?

DAVEinMB

Ok long story short, this tree (Phoenix Sylvestris) was supposed to be moved this past Friday but the wrong skid steer was brought. Now the planter is no longer around the roots and the new move date isn't solid yet. I got burlap against the roots for the time being along with a tarp to block the sun. Is this going to piss the tree off or will it be ok for a bit? I can try to reconstruct the planter if need be

Thanks, Dave

20220422_085618.jpg

20220416_195009.jpg

I would say you are ok if you can keep the direct sun off of it.   Maybe a nursery person can chime in since I don't want to be wrong on such a nice palm.

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Phoenix species are very hardy,and you are on the right track with trying to protect the roots. A simple addition would be to secure the burlap to the rootball,by going around it a few times with a roll of shrink wrap/Saran wrap plastic. That will insure any visible roots do not dry out and get 'air pruned'.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Out west they dig up dacty's  from date groves by the dozens with only a small rootball and stack them up on a flatbed truck and drive them hundreds of miles in 100+ degree heat to their ultimate destination as landscape plants.  I'm sure it isn't good for them, especially with roots exposed, but they still make it somehow, at least most of them do.  I'd echo what's been said, keep the roots protected and don't let them dry out as best you can. 

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

6 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@DAVEinMB that’s wild! Basically a huge potted palm. I’m super curious to see if the roots drilled down very deep in your yard?

Yea man I had no idea what I was going to uncover when I started removing the 4x4s. I certainly wasn't expecting that haha. The landscapers are thinking the same thing that the roots continue down to ground level, ultimately 5+ feet of vertical travel. Dude took one look at it, looked back at me and said my shit's not gonna move that...

And here we are haha

• Upvote 2

What's under the rootball – deck or open space? A burlap wrap (if you can get it around) would be similar to a grow bag. Can also use shade cloth. 

If I'm those roots I'd like that better than a 4x4 wall.

51 minutes ago, HiwaKika said:

What's under the rootball – deck or open space? A burlap wrap (if you can get it around) would be similar to a grow bag. Can also use shade cloth. 

If I'm those roots I'd like that better than a 4x4 wall.

That planter was basically a soil tower so who knows how far down the roots go. 

I might try to wedge the 4x4s back in against the burlap for the time being

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Cover and water the rootball: yes!  Use clear saran wrap: NO!  The clear wrap will act as a green house and trap the heat inside, possibly cooking the roots.  Use several layers of burlap or straw or mulch.

• Like 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds