IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this Royal going to make it?

Breaktheory

7 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

It won’t fall over even if it dies. At least, not before your HOA would demand it’s removal. You would know if it’s gone if there’s no top growth and everything’s brown. Keep the water on it and hope for the best. If you can mist the leaves, it might help too. 

Nothing to lose by trying.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Nothing to lose by trying.

It’s true - I’ll see if misting the leaves can help stave off any burn

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:21 PM, Breaktheory said:

It’s true - I’ll see if misting the leaves can help stave off any burn

How are your Bluebell acquisitions doing?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:23 AM, Johnny Palmseed said:

It won’t fall over even if it dies. At least, not before your HOA would demand it’s removal. You would know if it’s gone if there’s no top growth and everything’s brown. Keep the water on it and hope for the best. If you can mist the leaves, it might help too. 

Welp…the Royal that I had was still erect and green from the middle but hadn’t moved an inch in a month or so.  Ended up trying to dig it out and broke it at the base…..rotted from the inside out and smelled horrific.  At the time, the tree had an approx 12” base so it wasn’t super small. 8ft tall or so. 

To me…..if it ain’t moving at all, there’s cause for concern. Regardless if the center is green. 

-dale

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

How are your Bluebell acquisitions doing?

Doing well! Thanks for pointing me their way…i haven’t planted anything yet but I have the triple King and 15G Royal parked out front to get them acclimated to my surface of the sun lawn. Despite a serious suntan, the Royal has put out about a foot of spear in the past month. Can’t wait to get back there to pick up some more stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billeb said:

Welp…the Royal that I had was still erect and green from the middle but hadn’t moved an inch in a month or so.  Ended up trying to dig it out and broke it at the base…..rotted from the inside out and smelled horrific.  At the time, the tree had an approx 12” base so it wasn’t super small. 8ft tall or so. 

To me…..if it ain’t moving at all, there’s cause for concern. Regardless if the center is green. 

-dale

12” base as a 15G sounds huge - mine is about 11’ ft of trunk with a 14-15” base - may have gotten stretched from sitting in the shade reaching for sun.

I’m up a total of 3” ish spear growth in the past month but the new and only green frond is starting to get pretty crispy. 

17 hours ago, Billeb said:

-dale

Mmmmm - rotten palm smell. Yeah isn’t that wonderful? It’s somewhat unusual to lose a royal to rot. Did it happen in a wet winter?

And yes I agree with you that no movement is a bad sign. Especially in this case where everything is brown. The trunk only contains so much energy. If it can’t photosynthesize, it can’t survive.

16 hours ago, Breaktheory said:

Doing well! Thanks for pointing me their way…i haven’t planted anything yet but I have the triple King and 15G Royal parked out front to get them acclimated to my surface of the sun lawn. Despite a serious suntan, the Royal has put out about a foot of spear in the past month. Can’t wait to get back there to pick up some more stuff.

Those are thirsty devils, like Schools of Irish Fish . . .

If in doubt, give 'em another drink.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Mmmmm - rotten palm smell. Yeah isn’t that wonderful? It’s somewhat unusual to lose a royal to rot. Did it happen in a wet winter?

And yes I agree with you that no movement is a bad sign. Especially in this case where everything is brown. The trunk only contains so much energy. If it can’t photosynthesize, it can’t survive.

The smell was not to be forgotten. 

It did happen in the winter actually but not a wet winter. If anything, it was the opposite. Last winter for us here in SoCal saw little to no rain at all and barely cold in comparison to other years. 

Palm lasted a couple months before I started to dig it out. No rhyme or reason, just croaked. 

-dale

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Billeb said:

No rhyme or reason, just croaked. 

Hard to understand sometimes. One day I walked outside to find my Veitchia on the ground. It rotted out about halfway up and snapped. The previous day it looked fantastic. Even as it lay on the ground, all the leaves were green.

1 hour ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Hard to understand sometimes. One day I walked outside to find my Veitchia on the ground. It rotted out about halfway up and snapped. The previous day it looked fantastic. Even as it lay on the ground, all the leaves were green.

My indoor Kentias would look great one day and the next day they were crispy and spear pulled. 

The palm gods giveth and taketh away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

…….The palm gods giveth and taketh away. 

As long as he doesn’t taketh away my Hedycepe, Oliviformis or Houailou I’ll be marginally ok. 

…….marginally. 

-dale

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Billeb said:

As long as he doesn’t taketh away my Hedycepe, Oliviformis or Houailou I’ll be marginally ok. 

…….marginally. 

-dale

I've had a lot given and taken over the years, but still all good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

My indoor Kentias would look great one day and the next day they were crispy and spear pulled. 

The palm gods giveth and taketh away. 

Ouch!

• Upvote 1

Weekly update:

The tree is still growing at about 1/4/-1/2” a day and I’m up to just over 4” of spear growth since planting 4-5 weeks Ago. The entire tree except the top is brown but maybe this is the result of the sun.

The trunk continues to shed like a smaller palm which I didn’t think would continue to happen at this height….I don’t know if this is normal.

It’s been in the 90s and sunny and I’ve increased watering to 30 gallons every other day - still adding more mulch every week.

Continuing to watch and hope for those palm gods to look down kindly upon me.

4F591535-C1B6-4AF1-B806-0D97C953F344.jpeg

0199A7A6-3C47-4629-B950-EA208BF3FB76.jpeg

C482FAA8-191B-4E1D-B8A6-3FD3DB9DB3D3.jpeg

7EBCBED2-1DF0-4D6A-B57D-A0CF82DF7374.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Captains Log - 7 and a half weeks since planting:

This tree has really picked up speed and now seems to be growing at the speed of my Kings, it’s up a bit over a foot at this point.

The newest frond is still about half green but quite ugly and sun burned - I’ve decided to leave the dead fronds on for now in favor of symmetry.

My questions for you fine folks would be - 

1. Approximately how long until the next frond emerges and when it does will it be acclimated and actually stay green?

2. Given the trauma this tree has now been through will it ever live up to the potential it had before the shock and acclimation stress?

Thanks everyone!

ED3CC668-F31B-45AC-905F-0D662C0E1C86.jpeg

AE089035-69E5-4E3E-A441-B6D666E78574.jpeg

Great to learn this palm is growing.  I think this palm probably will look great in one year, and perhaps considerably less time than that.  I think this palm needs to grow more roots.  I think new fronds may look ratty until the roots have grown enough to support them.  Just keep watering it PLENTY.  Don't be discouraged.

To answer your questions: I am not sure about (1), but regarding (2), I think this palm probably will live up to its potential, and become a very royal looking royal.

Edited by awkonradi

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

15 minutes ago, awkonradi said:

Great to learn this palm is growing.  I think this palm probably will look great in one year, and perhaps considerably less time than that.  I think this palm needs to grow more roots.  I think new fronds may look ratty until the roots have grown enough to support them.  Just keep watering it PLENTY.  Don't be discouraged.

To answer your questions: I am not sure about (1), but regarding (2), I think this palm probably will live up to its potential, and become a very royal looking royal.

Certainly great news…I thought it was a goner when it hadn’t moved an inch in the first 2-3 weeks.

I’m continuing watering every other day and maintaining a thick layer of mulch and compost.

Would a root stimulating product do me good? I’ve heard good things about Superthrive and have used it on Bonsai but not sure about Palms.

Edited by Breaktheory

1 minute ago, Breaktheory said:

Would a root stimulating product do me good? - I’m not sure of the names but I know there are products made specifically to stimulate root growth

I wouldn't mess around with any root stimulating product(s).  That palm knows what it needs to do: grow.  Just give it time and water.  Wiser PalmTalkers can comment about fertilizer, but I don't think that palm needs any right now.  The grass is growing great.

• Like 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

At 1 month after planting it's probably safe to give it a small dose of a timed release like PalmGain or Osmocote.  It's sort of a guessing game as to whether you'd burn the new roots that are trying to grow, or provide the existing roots some extra nutrition to help it recover from sunburn.  I'm not sure that anyone could tell you with 100% certainty what to do.  But I'd think that a small amount would be beneficial without burning new roots.

I haven't used root stimulators on any of my plantings, I really don't know if they help or not.  There's conflicting evidence in studies, depending on the type of plant and application.  I've used it on cuttings, but not on palms that already have a full set of roots.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

At 1 month after planting it's probably safe to give it a small dose of a timed release like PalmGain or Osmocote.  It's sort of a guessing game as to whether you'd burn the new roots that are trying to grow, or provide the existing roots some extra nutrition to help it recover from sunburn.  I'm not sure that anyone could tell you with 100% certainty what to do.  But I'd think that a small amount would be beneficial without burning new roots.

I haven't used root stimulators on any of my plantings, I really don't know if they help or not.  There's conflicting evidence in studies, depending on the type of plant and application.  I've used it on cuttings, but not on palms that already have a full set of roots.

I gave it some Palm Gain at the 4 week mark which actually seemed to help the speed it was pushing out the spear…

I also just heard from a friend w Royal experience that he thinks the biggest problem came from the roots being allowed to grow into the ground then being ripped out when they forklifted the box into the truck…

1 hour ago, Breaktheory said:

I gave it some Palm Gain at the 4 week mark which actually seemed to help the speed it was pushing out the spear…

I also just heard from a friend w Royal experience that he thinks the biggest problem came from the roots being allowed to grow into the ground then being ripped out when they forklifted the box into the truck…

Yeah, that seems reasonable on the fertilizer.  I'd definitely agree on the roots, sometimes they just dig around it with a backhoe, put straps on it, and yank.  If it suddenly loses 50% of its roots, it is gonna be mad!  :D  Field grown palms usually grow quicker, but have more trauma on transplant.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Breaktheory said:

My questions for you fine folks would be - 

1. Approximately how long until the next frond emerges and when it does will it be acclimated and actually stay green?

2. Given the trauma this tree has now been through will it ever live up to the potential it had before the shock and acclimation stress?

If it was mine…..I wouldn’t change anything. I’d just keep doing whatever it is your doing for awhile. 

1) Don’t worry about how long it will take for another spear…..it’ll come. As long as it’s growing, your good.

2)I think your in the clear. It will very likely grow into the tree you covet. Patience…..

Congrats by the way! :shaka-2:

-dale

• Like 1

Fish emulsions is a great option if your concerned with burn. It will get very big. Water…water…water.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I would use fish emulsion and humic acid to stimulate root growth.  Humic acid is the natural root growth stimulator, the decomposition product of leaves, it stimulates growth of beneficial microbes that in turn stimulate root growth, no funky hormones needed, let the plant make its own.  Sounds like root damage was pretty bad for ripping it out and possibly from dropping it.  I would not go back there after knowing those things.  My royals were boxed up in 36" polymer boxes when delivered and those were root bound.  These will need to reproduce the roots, be patient.  Sunburn on a royal with a trunk like that(big) can only be due to lack of roots to feed water to those leaves.  Severed roots die back to the trunk and have to re establish.  And the chlorophyll production is slowed dramatically by loss of those leaves so be patient.   Palms cool themselves by transpiration(evaporation) through stomata, its like AC, a phase change and its quite effective.  When the rate of water uptake is not enough to cool the leaves, peroxides are created and the cell membranes will oxidize and brown.  This is a full sun palm and at that size it should be fine except the roots were damaged.  Dropping a heavy palm can sever roots at the base of the trunk, its a momentum thing.  Big heavy trunk, heavy rootball are a recipe for root damage when dropped.  Ripping out a root tapped palm right before sale is not what they do here.  Typically they box them up and allow for roots to re establish.  And this is in florida where we have rain.  If your soil drains poorly or if there is lots of slope tha leads to runoff, water slower.  I would double the time period if its sloped and/or slow draining.  Under these conditions(sloped ground or slow drainage), moisture penetration depth of soil depends more on watering time than flowrate.  Too high a flowrate and it runs off.  My royals took about 2 years to kick in after planting and they had 4=5 green leaves at planting.  They have grown about 15-18' of clear trunk in the last 9 years.  They are beasts and love water but you do want to ensure a dry cycle in winter especially when evaporation from soil is slow.  

• Like 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Just curious - what about the impact of a low humidity environment on these palms?  Their native habitats in Central/South Florida and the Caribbean are much different than Arizona.  Spraying the entire palm down every night or early morning?

39 minutes ago, EPaul said:

Just curious - what about the impact of a low humidity environment on these palms?  Their native habitats in Central/South Florida and the Caribbean are much different than Arizona.  Spraying the entire palm down every night or early morning?

THe low humidity of arizona is VERY low compared to most "low humidity" places.  Spring RH of 6-15% with 100F+ can be devastating on many palms.    I had a small roystonea borinquena in gilbert AZ.  It did pretty well but it has lots of other trees around it.  It probably saw 2hrs of direct mid day sun and I wet it down in the heat.  You can grow a royal there but the palm will do better if you have canopy, no late day sun, keep it off the trunk too, and keep it wet in the heat.

• Like 2

Tom Blank

@sonoranfans - Makes sense.  Just like the dry air sucks moisture from our skin, I'm assuming plants will go through a similar process - making it very difficult to keep sub-tropical/tropical palms that are accustomed to high humidity, a lot of rain, and wet soil parts of the year.

Edited by EPaul

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

THe low humidity of arizona is VERY low compared to most "low humidity" places.  Spring RH of 6-15% with 100F+ can be devastating on many palms.    I had a small roystonea borinquena in gilbert AZ.  It did pretty well but it has lots of other trees around it.  It probably saw 2hrs of direct mid day sun and I wet it down in the heat.  You can grow a royal there but the palm will do better if you have canopy, no late day sun, keep it off the trunk too, and keep it wet in the heat.

We aren’t as low humidity as you obviously but I do get the dry Santa Ana winds and the direct sun during a 100 degree day is intense - would it be wise to hose down my Royal since it’s probably not getting enough water from the damaged roots?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breaktheory said:

We aren’t as low humidity as you obviously but I do get the dry Santa Ana winds and the direct sun during a 100 degree day is intense - would it be wise to hose down my Royal since it’s probably not getting enough water from the damaged roots?

I have no palm experience with santa anas, they did kill my potted plants when I lived in Laguna beach.  The wind and low humidity is notably worse than low humidity alone.  Plenty of people on here that have dealt with santa anas with in ground palms, but sorry Im not one of them.  Ask DoomsDave that question.

• Like 2

Tom Blank

36 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

I have no palm experience with santa anas, they did kill my potted plants when I lived in Laguna beach.  The wind and low humidity is notably worse than low humidity alone.  Plenty of people on here that have dealt with santa anas with in ground palms, but sorry Im not one of them.  Ask DoomsDave that question.

@DoomsDave I’m invoking you sir…what are your thoughts on misting the leaves of my slowly recovering Royal to keep it wet while the roots try to recover?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

As someone who's lived in The Dirty South his entire life, 15% humidity is unheard of - let alone 6%. Good lord. 

• Like 2

@DoomsDave I’m invoking you sir…what are your thoughts on misting the leaves of my slowly recovering Royal to keep it wet while the roots try to recover?

I'm flattered you're asking!

On the one hand, you have nothing to lose, so do it. 

BUT! Royals grow in the serious desert, so give it mucho aqua. You won't drown it. Can't drown a fish.

Coming to the PSSC meeting later this month?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely mine grow great in serious desert!!! Never do anything but give them looooots of water!!!

430BE364-9EC0-4BE6-B0E8-F6C1DAE4865F.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I'm flattered you're asking!

On the one hand, you have nothing to lose, so do it. 

BUT! Royals grow in the serious desert, so give it mucho aqua. You won't drown it. Can't drown a fish.

Coming to the PSSC meeting later this month?

Then I will continue the flood that seems to be giving this palm momentum!

Unfortunately not able to make it down there on the 18th but hopefully I’ll make it back down to the OC again sometime soon - I had my eye on some stuff at Blue Bell that I just couldn't fit in the truck on my last visit.

7 hours ago, Breaktheory said:

…..I had my eye on some stuff at Blue Bell that I just couldn't fit in the truck on my last visit.

I’ve learned with BlueBell, you gotta grab it when your there or it’ll likely be gone your next visit. They have been completely decimated in the last couple years. 

-dale

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Almost 10 weeks since planting and this Royal has grown about 26” of  the first spear and started pushing a second 2 weeks ago.

A nursery owner I showed pictures told me if the tree survives it will have multiple large splits and cracks on the bottom 4-5 feet of the trunk. The reasoning he gave is because the tree is so stretched out but I don’t follow the logic - can anyone comment on that?

FBC626F0-13B2-4C49-B475-16A05E4892FE.jpeg

55AEB2D2-A17D-47F6-8FE9-CBD1641EC3DC.jpeg

Royals in 9B/10A Florida look like that after a frost, and bounce back.  Water is crucial, you can't overwater royals, especially in a dry climate.  When I do basins, they're a bowl, lower than the surrounding soil and hold gallons of water.  

Almost 10 weeks since planting and this Royal has grown about 26” of  the first spear and started pushing a second 2 weeks ago.

A nursery owner I showed pictures told me if the tree survives it will have multiple large splits and cracks on the bottom 4-5 feet of the trunk. The reasoning he gave is because the tree is so stretched out but I don’t follow the logic - can anyone comment on that?

FBC626F0-13B2-4C49-B475-16A05E4892FE.jpeg

55AEB2D2-A17D-47F6-8FE9-CBD1641EC3DC.jpeg

I’m not following his logic on the cracks. But I’m not an expert. What I can say is it is in transplant shock due to the nature of the palm’s size and time spent in a box. My first attempt at Royal Palms was a bust, I removed it after 5 months of it looking like yours.

In 2019 I planted 2 that were large but not trunking and they have done great.

With Roystonea they have one of the highest watering needs of any palm that is growable in California so they just aren’t happy in a box for an extended period of time.

I hope the best for your palm, it could get acclimated and power through. If it does, Royals are such robust growers in summer that you’ll know by August.

Id say if it hasn’t produced at least 4 green new leaves by October, it will have a low chance of survival in winter as our cool, wet winters combined with cold Santa Anna’s turn Roystonea leaves crispy ever winter.  My largest still has 4 burnt to a crisp fronds for this past winter. But it’s produced 3 new leaves this growing season and will produce 4-5 more before it shuts down for the cold season.

• Like 1