IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New seed day

Fallen Munk

Trachy seeds arrived from the UK.  Courtesy of @Vic  I got the permit for seed importation just to make sure they didn't get confiscated in customs.  Going to use my "jumpstart method" to geminate them.

seeds5.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

Jumpstart method.  T. princeps seeds in a jar.

noodles.jpg

Wow you germinated them fast how long did it take?  You are going to have some good variety in the PNW

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Wow you germinated them fast how long did it take?  You are going to have some good variety in the PNW

The ones in the jar are T. princeps that I got from Coldplant in China a few months ago.  I put them in the fridge for a month and then into the jar inside an incubator.  They started germinating in a few days.  I'm going to have to start potting them up.  I checked on them today and it looks like ramen noodles.  Hopefully they are not too tangled.  I also have a whole bunch of Bulgaria hybrids that I ordered from Plovdiv a few months ago.  I figured that since the PNW is so good for growing these I'm going to farm about a thousand of them, but all different than just fortunei.

Edited by Fallen Munk

6 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

The ones in the jar are T. princeps that I got from Coldplant in China a few months ago.  I put them in the fridge for a month and then into the jar inside an incubator.  They started germinating in a few days.  I'm going to have to start potting them up.  I checked on them today and it looks like ramen noodles.  Hopefully they are not too tangled.  I also have a whole bunch of Bulgaria hybrids that I ordered from Plovdiv a few months ago.  I figured that since the PNW is so good for growing these I'm going to farm about a thousand of them, but all different than just fortunei.

Yea you have the ideal climate for them.  The hybrids will sell better because most palm nuts are looking for something different.  And up there you can do the less hardy T. hybrids

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 minute ago, Allen said:

Yea you have the ideal climate for them.  The hybrids will sell better because most palm nuts are looking for something different.  And up there you can do the less hardy T. hybrids

I have a small princeps X fortunei hybrid that is really cranking.  It has stiffer fronds with the white undersides.  Growth has been pretty phenomenal.  It was just two strap leaves last spring.

princeps hybrid.jpg

• Like 3