Sign in to follow this  
Gottagrowemall

What is a bamboo palm? What’s the Latin? It’s not Areca?

Gottagrowemall

Occasionally I see this palm labeled bamboo palm and it’s intriguing but I have never been able to figure out what it is or what it looks like once it’s mature. 

64831E62-46BA-4D75-B917-0EC86ADA8149.jpeg

99F5F5F7-80AA-433D-B09D-A2787E251779.jpeg

677ADFE6-BC17-4F5E-9944-4635DEC806F2.jpeg

GottmitAlex

Looks like Chamaedorea seifrizii.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr

In our locale, this is typically one of three species: Chamaedorea seifriziiChamaedorea microspadix, or Chamaedorea costaricana

When it sets fruit, you'll have a better idea.  If the fruit is red it is probably Chamaedorea microspadix.  If the fruit is black, it is probably Chamaedorea seifriziiChamaedorea costaricana is often called the the Costa Rican Bamboo Palm and is sometimes a crap shoot to ID because of its variability.

• Like 4

JohnAndSancho

If I had a dollar for every online listing that said "bamboo palm," umm I'd buy lots of palms listed as bamboo palms. And pay off my car. 

Regardless, buy it and keep it as a houseplant.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

WaianaeCrider

Everyone (not a palm person) that looks at my 3 clumps of Chamaedorea seifrizii says "Oh you have bamboo).  LOL  Picture from 20 19

Chamaedorea seifrizii-20191028_135858.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

PalmatierMeg

The term "bamboo palm" can be applied to a number of species of clumping Chamaedoreas. That's why Latin binomials, not cutesy nicknames should be used.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Gottagrowemall
13 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Everyone (not a palm person) that looks at my 3 clumps of Chamaedorea seifrizii says "Oh you have bamboo).  LOL  Picture from 20 19

So it gets to be a good size 20 feet plus in Florida? And grows as a clump? I appreciate this picture for context 

Gottagrowemall
57 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The term "bamboo palm" can be applied to a number of species of clumping Chamaedoreas. That's why Latin binomials, not cutesy nicknames should be used.

Do you like them as an outdoor palm? 

Darold Petty

Chamaedorea costa-ricana has an appendage, called a ligule or auricle, at the top of the leafbase.  This is diagnostic for the species within the genus.  The mature fruits are black.

Here are two images, the first from a mature stem, and the second from a small seedling plant.  

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave
7 hours ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Do you like them as an outdoor palm? 

They rock as an outdoor palm!

WaianaeCrider
7 hours ago, Gottagrowemall said:

So it gets to be a good size 20 feet plus in Florida? And grows as a clump? I appreciate this picture for context 

I'm not in Fla.  O`ahu, Hawai`i.   I have no idea how big in Fla.  Mine have been in the ground for about 20 years.

PalmsandLiszt
On 4/20/2022 at 8:04 AM, WaianaeCrider said:

I look at your picture, note there is obviously a Chamaedorea of some sort in it, and say 'but why is it a mirror image?' The text on your hat is almost meaningless Cyrillic, but not quite. I can only conclude that Hawai'i is really looking-glass land, where you can take any difficult and fussy plant, throw it outside and ignore it, and it thrives and grows extremely quickly. Impressive stand of C. seifrizii, anyway. I guess they'll all be the size of redwoods by next year, given how things seem to grow in looking glass land. :greenthumb:

Edited by PalmsandLiszt

WaianaeCrider
6 hours ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

I look at your picture, note there is obviously a Chamaedorea of some sort in it, and say 'but why is it a mirror image?' The text on your hat is almost meaningless Cyrillic, but not quite. I can only conclude that Hawai'i is really looking-glass land, where you can take any difficult and fussy plant, throw it outside and ignore it, and it thrives and grows extremely quickly. Impressive stand of C. seifrizii, anyway. I guess they'll all be the size of redwoods by next year, given how things seem to grow in looking glass land. :greenthumb:

Selfie pictures w/a cell phone reverse everything.