IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is a bamboo palm? What’s the Latin? It’s not Areca?

Gottagrowemall

Occasionally I see this palm labeled bamboo palm and it’s intriguing but I have never been able to figure out what it is or what it looks like once it’s mature. 

64831E62-46BA-4D75-B917-0EC86ADA8149.jpeg

99F5F5F7-80AA-433D-B09D-A2787E251779.jpeg

677ADFE6-BC17-4F5E-9944-4635DEC806F2.jpeg

Looks like Chamaedorea seifrizii.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

In our locale, this is typically one of three species: Chamaedorea seifriziiChamaedorea microspadix, or Chamaedorea costaricana

When it sets fruit, you'll have a better idea.  If the fruit is red it is probably Chamaedorea microspadix.  If the fruit is black, it is probably Chamaedorea seifriziiChamaedorea costaricana is often called the the Costa Rican Bamboo Palm and is sometimes a crap shoot to ID because of its variability.

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

If I had a dollar for every online listing that said "bamboo palm," umm I'd buy lots of palms listed as bamboo palms. And pay off my car. 

Regardless, buy it and keep it as a houseplant.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Everyone (not a palm person) that looks at my 3 clumps of Chamaedorea seifrizii says "Oh you have bamboo).  LOL  Picture from 20 19

Chamaedorea seifrizii-20191028_135858.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

The term "bamboo palm" can be applied to a number of species of clumping Chamaedoreas. That's why Latin binomials, not cutesy nicknames should be used.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

13 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Everyone (not a palm person) that looks at my 3 clumps of Chamaedorea seifrizii says "Oh you have bamboo).  LOL  Picture from 20 19

So it gets to be a good size 20 feet plus in Florida? And grows as a clump? I appreciate this picture for context 

57 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The term "bamboo palm" can be applied to a number of species of clumping Chamaedoreas. That's why Latin binomials, not cutesy nicknames should be used.

Do you like them as an outdoor palm? 

Chamaedorea costa-ricana has an appendage, called a ligule or auricle, at the top of the leafbase.  This is diagnostic for the species within the genus.  The mature fruits are black.

Here are two images, the first from a mature stem, and the second from a small seedling plant.  

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

7 hours ago, Gottagrowemall said:

Do you like them as an outdoor palm? 

They rock as an outdoor palm!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7 hours ago, Gottagrowemall said:

So it gets to be a good size 20 feet plus in Florida? And grows as a clump? I appreciate this picture for context 

I'm not in Fla.  O`ahu, Hawai`i.   I have no idea how big in Fla.  Mine have been in the ground for about 20 years.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

On 4/20/2022 at 8:04 AM, WaianaeCrider said:

I look at your picture, note there is obviously a Chamaedorea of some sort in it, and say 'but why is it a mirror image?' The text on your hat is almost meaningless Cyrillic, but not quite. I can only conclude that Hawai'i is really looking-glass land, where you can take any difficult and fussy plant, throw it outside and ignore it, and it thrives and grows extremely quickly. Impressive stand of C. seifrizii, anyway. I guess they'll all be the size of redwoods by next year, given how things seem to grow in looking glass land. :greenthumb:

Edited by PalmsandLiszt

6 hours ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

I look at your picture, note there is obviously a Chamaedorea of some sort in it, and say 'but why is it a mirror image?' The text on your hat is almost meaningless Cyrillic, but not quite. I can only conclude that Hawai'i is really looking-glass land, where you can take any difficult and fussy plant, throw it outside and ignore it, and it thrives and grows extremely quickly. Impressive stand of C. seifrizii, anyway. I guess they'll all be the size of redwoods by next year, given how things seem to grow in looking glass land. :greenthumb:

Selfie pictures w/a cell phone reverse everything.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae