IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor, underground trunk.

Steve Mac

I never really understood how a palm could grow an underground trunk, until I re potted a bunch of seedlings. Now I can see how it does it. The roots are not underneath on the bottom of the trunk. A couple were doubles too, I don't know how common that is. Probably quite common since I got two.

20220416_101002.thumb.jpg.9601a907d3ddeba2b4ce85bbce07bcc5.jpg

20220416_103517.thumb.jpg.ee90dd0f9cacb39dd041bb373f20bd57.jpg

The double trunked.

20220416_101055.thumb.jpg.c5ea0763c9d2fd9bdf75ec2684947919.jpg

20220416_103553.thumb.jpg.f8e14151faf9aa48d445f4e2cc9b568c.jpg  Probably posted in the wrong section, but they were in pots. :-)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

These have sensitive roots and are not fond of disturbance (do not transplant well).  I hope they survive your illustrative photos.  Here's a large one I had to relocate many years ago.  It did not survive
.P1010006.thumb.JPG.c4bcdc809d1a568f7c4de8a33b103043.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

On 4/17/2022 at 3:03 AM, Steve Mac said:

I never really understood how a palm could grow an underground trunk, until I re potted a bunch of seedlings. Now I can see how it does it. The roots are not underneath on the bottom of the trunk. A couple were doubles too, I don't know how common that is. Probably quite common since I got two.

The double trunked.

20220416_101055.thumb.jpg.c5ea0763c9d2fd9bdf75ec2684947919.jpg

Steve,

Nice pics.  I'm not sure if this is the case with yours but I had a Sabal 'Riverside' in the ground that experienced some issue with the original growing point and it started a new one (dweezle).  All new growth came through the second growing point and the original remained green for several months (I think over a year) before dying off.  Hope all's well down under!

Jon

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/57505-new-growing-point/

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

57 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I had a Sabal 'Riverside' in the ground that experienced some issue with the original growing point and it started a new one (dweezle).  All new growth came through the second growing point and the original remained green for several months (I think over a year) before dying off.

I experienced the same thing with a juvenile Phoenix dactylifera once.  The old growing point experienced some type of trauma, and a new spear/strap leaf started growing at a 45o angle from the main stem.  The old growth eventually died off.  I currently have a few Sabal minor planted around the property that appear as "clumps."  I honestly do not know if another seed germinated right next to the main palm, or there is some sort of "suckering" effect going on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

On 4/19/2022 at 12:20 AM, Aleksandr said:

How old are this seedlings Steve ?

Aleks, to be more accurate, I'll have to get back to you on that. But for starters, they did not germinate fast or grow fast for me,  I'm thinking a couple of years but I will check and try to be more specific.

Cheers Steve

On 4/19/2022 at 1:47 AM, tjwalters said:

I hope they survive your illustrative photos.

Ooooow,  They were all in a neglected shallow pot for a year or so and I did just rip them apart and shake them around a lot to make them photogenic.

But we have a saying down under,  'She'll be all right mate.'  And do you know what?,  it usually isn't. 

But I'm still optimistic, I'll let you know. I only grew them for fun and to give away. Free pick-up, about a dozen of them for any lucky local.  Thanks for the tip Tom, I'll be more careful next time.  Steve.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

12 hours ago, Fusca said:

some issue with the original growing point

Hi Jon, Looking at the two pics of the two doubles, it does not seem like a growing point issue to me, unless it was very early in the growing cycle. But you may be right.

Thanks for your input. Cheers Steve. :)

Cheers Steve

6 hours ago, Steve Mac said:

Hi Jon, Looking at the two pics of the two doubles, it does not seem like a growing point issue to me, unless it was very early in the growing cycle. But you may be right.

Thanks for your input. Cheers Steve. :)

I think the original growth point was the one on the right.  The "heel" is still visible there.  When the issue developed, the new growth point popped out on the left.  The first leaf on the left is quite deformed, and the newest leaf is still showing some deformities.  At some point subsequent leaves will be normal.  I've seen this several times with young Trachycarpus palms.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

On 4/19/2022 at 12:20 AM, Aleksandr said:

How old are this seedlings Steve ?

About 18 months, @Aleksandr.

Cheers Steve

• 1 month later...

Well 2 months later and they still seem ok despite my rough treatment of them. I didn't have enough pots to do them separately but I had to get them out of the one community pot.

20220529_145530.thumb.jpg.df0b333d3919291e0aa3fcee2e6aa28b.jpg

Cheers Steve