IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Welp, I finally did it. (Queen Palm in Myrtle Beach)

Pee Dee Palms

After many thoughts and considerations, I finally decided to buy a Queen Palm. I just had to because my local Lowes had some and I decided I would try at least one out. Definitely going to be thinking of a plan for the winter, and how I'll protect it. 

20220416_175727.jpg

20220416_175452.jpg

20220416_175536.jpg

20220416_175501.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Looks really good

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

9 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

@General Sylvester D. Palm right on man. If any of us in Myrtle can keep a queen alive long enough to gain some mass and toughen up a bit i think it would have a decent chance of surviving long term.

Heck yeah man! I'm going to protect this thing like crazy this winter. How'd yours fair?

• Upvote 1

Some winters you'll be fine , but some winters you might want to  at least  protect the trunk . After that protection winter ,  you may get several more mild winters . You might treat it like I treat my Washy . I haven't needed to protect it after 3 winters ,  but next winter ? 

Keep us posted on its progress .

Will

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Heck yeah man! I'm going to protect this thing like crazy this winter. How'd yours fair?

Both Uruguay look good

Silver - dead

Of the 3 standard, 1 is good, 1 has bad spear pull, 1 has minor spear issues. 

I think my protection method with garbage bags did more harm than good

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Both Uruguay look good

Silver - dead

Man, I had a Silver a while ago and it is completely dead. I'm starting to think the "Silver Queen" is a myth. I have heard good things about the Uruguay Queens, I would really like to find one but I have no clue where to find them. 

2 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Unless they already sold out, I didn't see any of them for sale. Just the standard Queen.

Read the description closer ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Read the description closer ;)

I guess I need to learn how to read the fine print!

Edited by General Sylvester D. Palm

There is a tall healthy queen growing in downtown Savannah, but otherwise they are rare this far south.  As you get towards Tybee Beach, they increase in number slightly.  Myrtle is going to be a battle without protection, but they're worth it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

2 minutes ago, D Palm said:

Heating cable with a thermostat and blanket until it gets a good size trunk.

I was debating on if I should do a blanket or create a structure and tie the fronds up. A heating cable with a thermostat is definitely a must. I've got 2 big lights that radiate a lot of heat, and they can clamp on to things. I might use those too, I just have to be careful it doesn't get too hot for the palm.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, DAVEinMB said:

Both Uruguay look good

Silver - dead

So the Uruguay queens are in the same conditions of the others and had zero issues? This is interesting,  I have 2 young Santa Catarina queens, which are supposed to be the same as litoralis but specifically from Santa Catarina area. I may have to try these Uruguay queens! 

7 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

So the Uruguay queens are in the same conditions of the others and had zero issues? This is interesting,  I have 2 young Santa Catarina queens, which are supposed to be the same as litoralis but specifically from Santa Catarina area. I may have to try these Uruguay queens! 

I'll post some pics of how all of them look sometime this week. The Uruguay are much smaller so I just put 5 gallon buckets over them, the larger queens got the trash bag treatment which I will never do again

Edited by DAVEinMB

16 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I'll post some pics of how all of them look sometime this week. The Uruguay are much smaller so I just put 5 gallon buckets over them, the larger queens for the trash bag treatment which I will never do again

Sounds good, Just went ahead and ordered 2. Will compare to my Santa Catarina as they grow.

I used 12 hour hand warmers to protect my small Pygmy date palm and Orange birds of paradise. Works great with a blanket for brief dips into low 20’s at night. Must have something thick to lock in heat. 

That’s great if your in a pinch like I was.

• Like 1

I've found two yards with queen palms growing in Augusta ga, they get burnt during late winter and take until late summer to look nice and green again. These pics were taken in early winter so the burn is already showing a little but it is more greener coming out of winter than the other yard, the house probably provides some protection.

20211212_122115.jpg.19f96305a0139cde48081673a8618be5.jpg

20211212_122128.jpg.54777909408c530d44a486f3fa051eac.jpg

20211212_122152.jpg.8fd0bbd60e9d5e8d4d3ea1d0020d87a1.jpg

20211212_122225.jpg.a9d78c942fd0093b48b54216fadef83e.jpg

Edited by Emman
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Emman said:

I've found two yards with queen palms growing in Augusta ga, they get burnt during late winter and take until late summer to look nice and green again. These pics were taken in early winter so the burn is already showing a little but it is more greener coming out of winter than the other yard, the house probably provides some protection.

20211212_122115.jpg.19f96305a0139cde48081673a8618be5.jpg

20211212_122128.jpg.54777909408c530d44a486f3fa051eac.jpg

20211212_122152.jpg.8fd0bbd60e9d5e8d4d3ea1d0020d87a1.jpg

20211212_122225.jpg.a9d78c942fd0093b48b54216fadef83e.jpg

Wow, I underestimate the warmth of Augusta. I've heard of many people successfully zone pushing things there. Is that a south facing wall? How long has it been there?

1 hour ago, Emman said:

Long term it will be a question.  As that palm gets bigger without protection it will have problems on a bad year.  I saw temps in teens a lot in Augusta as low as 12F.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

On 4/17/2022 at 3:41 PM, DAVEinMB said:

@General Sylvester D. Palm I can mine from woodlanders, looks like they currently have them in stock

https://www.woodlanders.net/index.cfm

You got the 1gal? Should Post a pic if you got one, the website has none, just wondering size mostly I’m sure it looks like a regular queen. Come Strap? Pinnate? 

16 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

You got the 1gal? Should Post a pic if you got one, the website has none, just wondering size mostly I’m sure it looks like a regular queen. Come Strap? Pinnate? 

Both were strap, no mature fronds

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Allen said:

Long term it will be a question.  As that palm gets bigger without protection it will have problems on a bad year.  I saw temps in teens a lot in Augusta as low as 12F.  

8a winters seem to occur here about once a decade now but there are microclimates that are milder, effectively zone 9 or close, the last time temps got into the low teens was the winter of 2014, that queen palm was probably planted later.

I personally think that queen palm will become more damaged as it grows more trunk and the fronds are exposed above the house.

• 10 months later...

Well well well... I just couldn't help myself. This thing was 95 bucks and I got it down in Charleston. This is my 3rd one so far.20230310_151956.thumb.jpg.594992b2ff4733cb432eb38568ba7e6b.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Well well well... I just couldn't help myself. This thing was 95 bucks and I got it down in Charleston. This is my 3rd one so far.20230310_151956.thumb.jpg.594992b2ff4733cb432eb38568ba7e6b.jpg

Could probably get a Queen of that size for less than 50 at Lowes....

That thing costed a pretty penny.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

9 hours ago, JLM said:

Could probably get a Queen of that size for less than 50 at Lowes....

That thing costed a pretty penny.

Yeah it definitely did. I've never seen one that size at a Lowe's here though. Plus, Lowe's usually get's them in a bit later here and I wanted to get an early start so it'll be established by winter. The thing has such a beautiful dark green color to it I just couldn't help myself.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Yeah it definitely did. I've never seen one that size at a Lowe's here though. Plus, Lowe's usually get's them in a bit later here and I wanted to get an early start so it'll be established by winter. The thing has such a beautiful dark green color to it I just couldn't help myself.

Yep, thats happened to me several times before. A specific palm stood out to me and i couldnt say no lol

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

• 2 weeks later...

Few days ago I went to Lowe's and saw this beauty. Couldn't help but snatch it up. I officially have 3 Queens in the ground and one in a pot. (One of the ones in the ground I might take out cause it is looking really bad)

20230319_174350.thumb.jpg.1847e1fb9f0f286397d32925b2df6814.jpg20230319_174410.thumb.jpg.ade3bc1de147602911419ea17be4fcb2.jpg

Edited by General Sylvester D. Palm
  • Like 1