IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm trees native to China

ShiYi2022

Caryota obtusa Griffith,This is another kind of palm in China. Its name isCaryota obtusa Griffith. Its leaves are also like a fish. It is not cold resistant as Caryota mitis.

早剑!你提到的那个应该叫。。。。天棚。

Caryota obtusa Griffith,This is another kind of palm in China. Its name is Caryota obtusa Griffith. Its leaves are also like a fish. It is not cold resistant as Caryota mitis.

早剑!你提到的那个应该叫。。。。天棚。

微信图片_20220424145127.png

微信图片_20220424145219.png

• Like 1

Jesse PNW,

I saw another kind of palm in online shopping today(Guihaia argyrata ), which is the wild palm on the mountain. You said his name was Nujiang palm last time. Let me show you a picture. It's very distinctive,His real Chinese name is shishan palm(石山棕),Maybe it's because it grows in Rocky Mountains.It is resistant to shade, drought and light frost.

0ff41bd5ad6eddc47fa11b9936dbb6fd52663309.png

微信图片_20220424201407.jpg

• Like 2

@ShiYi2022  提到的是什么意思? 知道帐篷,天棚是什么,不过描述很高的丛林植物,不知道。In English we call it "canopy", I just don't know what the Chinese word is.  Is 丛林the word you would use for jungle? 我中文的大部分是口语用的,所以我词汇比较小。Of course many concepts don't translate directly.  That's why it's so hard to rely on translation software or even 中英dictionaries, although google translate is better than it was 10 or 12 years ago.  

Since Chinese names for palms have been so hard to find, I thought they may have different names depending on where you go in China.  Where did you get the list you sent me?  I'm glad I have that now!   The palm in the pictures is Trachycarpus princeps, I got the name 怒江棕 from Garry Tsen。他说有的怒江棕榈/石山棕是从"Stone gate"来的,你知道"stonegate“ 是什么吗/在哪儿?找不到了。

Oh I was wrong!  The picture is Guihaia argyrata, It looked like Trachycarpus princeps!  wow!  This is also beautiful, and now I want one!

Edited by Jesse PNW

9 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

哦,我错了!图片是吉海亚·阿盖尔塔,它看起来像棕榈公主!哇!这个也很漂亮,现在我也想要一个!

在美国你能买到这个品种的棕榈吗

不会!  甚至在网上找不到。I can't find Guihaia argyrata anywhere.  

That's funny, it translated Trachycarpus princeps to Palm Princess.   haha.  I don't know who she is but I'd like to meet her!

Edited by Jesse PNW

14 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

不会!  甚至在网上找不到。I can't find Guihaia argyrata anywhere.  

That's funny, it translated Trachycarpus princeps to Palm Princess.   haha.  I don't know who she is but I'd like to meet her!

Does your family like your palm? You said last time that you like kung fu. Have you seen Stephen Chow's Kung Fu(a film)?Stephen Chow is my favorite comedian. He has two films that may be more famous in foreign countries, one is Shaolin Soccer and the other is Kung Fu.Of course, Tom Cruise and Jim Carrey are also good.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:41 PM, ShiYi2022 said:

Is it very cold in winter in most parts of the United States? Because I read many people's articles, they seem to be discussing the problem of cold resistance.

Yes, most of the United States is cold in the winter. That's why there's so much discussion about cold tolerance. 

My family doesn't care about palms, just me.  I've seen clips from the Kung Fu Hustle movie but I've never seen it.   Most of the Chinese movies I like are historic in nature.  I liked 太平轮 a lot.  I've seen quite a few that I liked but can't remember their names. Of course, 李小龙 and 成龙 got me into Chinese culture in the first place.  

I really like 李子柒的视频。I know Trachycarpus fortunei 山棕 grows native by her house, and she has a beautiful palm in her courtyard, I think it is a Rhapis but I'm not sure.  The leaflets are very fine and weeping.  I know there are many species of Rhapis in China that aren't common here. 

李子柒1.png

Actually now that I'm studying that picture I think it may be Cyprus alternifolius....  haha.

9 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Actually now that I'm studying that picture I think it may be Cyprus alternifolius....  haha.

I know this kind of plant. It is not a palm, but another plant. Its name is Cyperus involucratus Rottboll. It is different from Rhapis in detail. The leaves of Rhapis are thicker.I'll give you two photos to distinguish them,The good news is that both of them are cold resistant. There is no fiber on the Cyperus involucratus Rottboll

微信图片_20220426201820.png

微信图片_20220426201859.png

Because most of the varieties I grow are not cold resistant, I can only plant them in pots and move them indoors in winter. I took some photos last night. I'll show you. You should be able to guess their varieties.

微信图片_20220426202550_旋转.jpg

微信图片_20220426202624.jpg

微信图片_20220426202632.jpg

微信图片_20220426202643.jpg

微信图片_20220426202653.jpg

微信图片_20220426202657.jpg

微信图片_20220426202705.jpg

微信图片_20220426202851.jpg

微信图片_20220426202856.jpg

Just now, Jesse PNW said:

你有好几个,当地买到了吗?容易找到呢?

Which one are you talking about

所有的,什么种类在当地很容易找到?  什么很难的? 

你有好几个在我住的地方找不到。我不了解几个。

Any /all of them, which types are easy to find locally?  Which ones are hard to find? You have many that I can't find where I live.. And I don't recognize several of them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jesse PNW said:

所有的,什么种类在当地很容易找到?  什么很难的? 

你有好几个在我住的地方找不到。我不了解几个。

Any /all of them, which types are easy to find locally?  Which ones are hard to find? You have many that I can't find where I live.. And I don't recognize several of them. 

I bought it from an online store here in China. I sent the name of potted palm:Beccariophoenix alfredii、Jubaea spectabilis、Roystonea regia、Gaussia gomez-pompae 、 Phoenix theophrasti、Butia capitata Wodyetia bifurcata、Archontophoenix alexandrae、Pseudophoenix ekmanii 

• 1 year later...

😀I have found the enthusiast from china, and I can roughly guess who you are.😝I am from Nantong.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:32 PM, Fallen Munk said:

Tomentum is the fuzz at the base of the petioles.  I've just called it the fiber on the trunk but there may be a technical term for it.  I piled the fiber up in the back so I can reuse it at the bottom of my pots to keep the soil from falling out the drain holes.  My wife freaked out when she saw the pile.  She said it looked like a skinned orangutan. 

No kidding, skinned trachycarpus are just less cold hardier because the fuzz also helps somewhat insulate, and skinned trachycarpus only look good if they are brown or atleast somewhat brown, in otherwords, I agree with your wife.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:43 AM, chenyuw said:

😀I have found the enthusiast from china, and I can roughly guess who you are.😝I am from Nantong.

总会有一个人和你喜欢同样的东西 😄

This trachycarpus was planted in 2005 as a one gallon ,  very rare in my neck of the woods back then.  Has never had any damage. Growing in a dry bed.  

7381DBB3-2F17-419C-A4AF-DC89DD40EB04.png

很棒的讨论!祝愿中国的朋友们平安、祝福。
Hěn bàng de tǎolùn! Zhùyuàn zhōngguó de péngyǒumen píng'ān, zhùfú.

Zone 6b maritime climate