Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ShiYi2022

Palm trees native to China

Recommended Posts

ShiYi2022
These are the two most common palm trees native to China. Their cold resistance is OK. Are they popular in the United States?

 

src=http___ss2.meipian.me_users_62103055_3d6e582c68534b50b160553d0be59ad5.jpg_meipian-raw_bucket_ivwen_key_dXNlcnMvNjIxMDMwNTUvM2Q2ZTU4MmM2ODUzNGI1MGIxNjA1NTNkMGJlNTlhZDUuanBn_sign_afaabfe7fdc1eb0bb956829c8e.webp.jpg

2038985404_QQ20220408132949.thumb.jpg.93aa9b2fa269132f017139639fe1eb5c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

Trachycarpus fortunei is very popular on both east and west coast and down south. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

Livistona chinensis is also very popular but not distributed as far, since it isn't as hardy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
Just now, Jesse PNW said:

Livistona chinensis is also very popular but not distributed as far, since it isn't as hardy. 

Just now I bought the seed of Arenga engleri. I heard that it can withstand cold - 5 ℃. I'm going to try it.

IMG_9155(20220415-235017).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
Just now, Jesse PNW said:

Trachycarpus fortunei 

Yes, it's more cold resistant, but his brown hair is not very beautiful. I'm used to peeling off his brown hair:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Simpson

Livistona chinensis is what we call the first one and that palm is a not cold tolerant for my location in North Carolina , but I have several Trachycarpus fortunei in my yard . 

Will

51775396456_867135b556_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
 
Just now, Jesse PNW said:

Trachycarpus fortunei is very popular on both east and west coast and down south. 

My English is a little poor. Can you understand me through my words?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
Just now, Will Simpson said:

Livistona chinensis is what we call the first one and that palm is a not cold tolerant for my location in North Carolina , but I have several Trachycarpus fortunei in my yard . 

Will

51775396456_867135b556_b.jpg

 

There are many trachycarpus fortunei  on our mountain. Maybe it's too common, so we seldom plant them in the yard,The palm tree we grow more is archontophoenix alexandrae and Phoenix canariensis Chabaud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

明白。  你进入的文字都是英文吗?  使用翻译APP吗?

我写的不清楚呢?

我中文,汉子都不太好。

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oasis371

Rhapis palms are native to Southeast Asia and are certainly very popular in Japan.

Chinese fans are much less costly and more commonly available.

Arenga engleri (from Taiwan), the one I grow, is a nice species.  It is fairly cold tolerant and strongly clustering.

Fishtails are also Southeast Asia in origin. Caryota mitis is one of the ones more commonly found, and frequently grown indoor. It is also strongly clustering.

Trachycarpus, of course, and there are a few different species of those available here.

Edited by oasis371

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DreaminAboutPalms

Still a bunch of trachycarpus in north Texas after the freeze last year. Ones that died were not shielded from north winds for the most part 

 

one chinensis here in austin i am aware of  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Simpson
5 hours ago, ShiYi2022 said:

There are many trachycarpus fortunei  on our mountain. Maybe it's too common, so we seldom plant them in the yard,The palm tree we grow more is archontophoenix alexandrae and Phoenix canariensis Chabaud.

I'm probably  under 2 weeks of  cold weather that is  too cold for me to plant so many more varieties of  palms here in my part of North Carolina.

During a 10 year period here there will be a number     of cold snaps  some  years  from 5F - 15F , but sometimes my coldest  temperatures during a winter is 20F . I f my coldest temperature was 20F I could grow many varieties of palms , but unfortunately Canada send me some gifts of cold air too often to grow a lot of varieties . 

Try a Sabal Birmingham . You don't have to worry about cold hardiness but it's a nice Sabal palm .

51747331379_f69e26c882_b.jpg

Here's my Butia odorata which is a nice size for my climate :

 

51740259458_05bfcf3b2b_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff58

The Trachycarpus Fortunei is commonly called a windmill palm and they are fairly common in parts of the USA that are too cold for other palms.  I see more of them here in Jackson, Mississippi, for example, than I did in Chongqing, China.

Someone planted a Livistona Chinensis (Chinese fan palm) here in Jackson a few years ago, but it was killed during its first winter. I have seen them in central Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk

Here's mine.

IMG_20220415_103002.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

@Fallen Munk that's a funky looking trachy.  I will probably de-beard a couple of mine when the trunks reach over head-height.  

I believe the native range of Phoenix roebelinii also includes some of China.... I'm sure there are lots more we haven't listed yet.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

Here's mine.

IMG_20220415_103002.jpg

So beautiful!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
7 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

明白。  你进入的文字都是英文吗?  使用翻译APP吗?

我写的不清楚呢?

我中文,汉子都不太好。

简单的英文我能看懂,大部分还是要用翻译app软件,你的中文水平很好。在中国喜欢棕榈的人不多,大多数中国人喜欢兰花、树桩、多肉植物。

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
16 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

@Fallen Munk that's a funky looking trachy.  I will probably de-beard a couple of mine when the trunks reach over head-height.  

I believe the native range of Phoenix roebelinii also includes some of China.... I'm sure there are lots more we haven't listed yet.  

You have a lot of research on palms. I now think that people on earth love the same things in many countries. Most Chinese people live in cities, so there are more potted palms. I can show you some pictures

CBA3D388-762D-4630-9675-B22F5EA72585.jpeg

3481B19E-C4A6-498F-9E3B-061A962D80B2.jpeg

D9662709-DE93-42A1-AD29-58B12D385FD4.jpeg

7657B41F-B57F-422D-B254-D357E88AC7A3.jpeg

D07AE7A1-D2D4-487F-AA81-93B0F54E640E.jpeg

21EFC7B6-D03E-47FF-880F-04B25B3F7A99.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

When conversing in Chinese I use an app often but only for unfamiliar words.  Chinese characters are easy to forget if you don't use them often.  I try to figure out as much as I can based on context.  

@ShiYi2022 your English is great, we all understand with no problems. 

说中文的时候我经常用应用程序,但是就是不常用的词。不常用的汉子很容易忘记。  但是大部分比较简单的可以看什么话题看去来。 

你英文特别好,没有人有问题看懂。

在你住的地方最冷气温是多少?

How cold does it get where you live?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
14 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

When conversing in Chinese I use an app often but only for unfamiliar words.  Chinese characters are easy to forget if you don't use them often.  I try to figure out as much as I can based on context.  

@ShiYi2022 your English is great, we all understand with no problems. 

说中文的时候我经常用应用程序,但是就是不常用的词。不常用的汉子很容易忘记。  但是大部分比较简单的可以看什么话题看去来。 

你英文特别好,没有人有问题看懂。

在你住的地方最冷气温是多少?

How cold does it get where you live?

In the place where I live, sometimes it is a warm winter and sometimes a cold winter, the temperature is no less than 0  Celsius in a warm winter, but in some years the cold air from the Arctic is very violent, and the temperature drops to minus -5   Celsius, so it limits me to grow palms.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimhardy

I enjoyed seeing your plant pics :greenthumb:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
2 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

@Fallen Munk that's a funky looking trachy.  I will probably de-beard a couple of mine when the trunks reach over head-height.  

I believe the native range of Phoenix roebelinii also includes some of China.... I'm sure there are lots more we haven't listed yet.  

I debated for a few years whether to strip the fiber.  Everybody around my neighborhood has them and they all pretty much look the same with the heavy fiber on them.  I wouldn't have done it if it had a skinny trunk, but it's real beefy.  Should look nice once the fresh stuff darkens up.  It looks so different now that a few people are trying to figure out what palm it is.  I get a lot of traffic because my house is by a high school.  People stop and take photos.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW
1 minute ago, Fallen Munk said:

  It looks so different now that a few people are trying to figure out what palm it is.  

I had to study it for a minute.  

There are a few naked Trachycarpus down in Centralia where the winter blasts are just a little worse than they are at my place, and they have done OK and been there a long time (aside from the fact that they are overpruned, underfertilized, and under-irrigated).  One or two, here and there, makes for a little more variety and creates some interest.  

At first I didn't like the fuzz... is this called tomentum?...  but it has grown on me, especially now that I have learned more about palms, and know that there are a lot more exotic/ less hardy palms that are covered in fiber.  I think at first, everyone wants coconuts.... now coconuts would be at the bottom of my list.  There's a couple dozen other palms I'd rather look at. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW
10 hours ago, ShiYi2022 said:

Just now I bought the seed of Arenga engleri. I heard that it can withstand cold - 5 ℃. I'm going to try it.

IMG_9155(20220415-235017).JPG

Arenga engleri is one of my favorites, it looks very wild.  I have a couple of these in my garden, and a bunch of seeds.  I also have some Arenga ryukyuensis that I grew from seed, they are still very small.  This species is said to be more hardy than engleri, but that shouldn't matter for your climate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
9 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I had to study it for a minute.  

There are a few naked Trachycarpus down in Centralia where the winter blasts are just a little worse than they are at my place, and they have done OK and been there a long time (aside from the fact that they are overpruned, underfertilized, and under-irrigated).  One or two, here and there, makes for a little more variety and creates some interest.  

At first I didn't like the fuzz... is this called tomentum?...  but it has grown on me, especially now that I have learned more about palms, and know that there are a lot more exotic/ less hardy palms that are covered in fiber.  I think at first, everyone wants coconuts.... now coconuts would be at the bottom of my list.  There's a couple dozen other palms I'd rather look at. 

Tomentum is the fuzz at the base of the petioles.  I've just called it the fiber on the trunk but there may be a technical term for it.  I piled the fiber up in the back so I can reuse it at the bottom of my pots to keep the soil from falling out the drain holes.  My wife freaked out when she saw the pile.  She said it looked like a skinned orangutan. 

Edited by Fallen Munk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

Arenga engleri is one of my favorites, it looks very wild.  I have a couple of these in my garden, and a bunch of seeds.  I also have some Arenga ryukyuensis that I grew from seed, they are still very small.  This species is said to be more hardy than engleri, but that shouldn't matter for your climate. 

I'd like to see your palms. Do you have any pictures of your yard? If I have time, I will take some pictures of palm trees on my side of the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

It's the end of winter, so my garden isn't in top condition. Here's a video from the end of last summer, it looked pretty good then.  You can see the Arenga engleri at 2:36.  It is still doing well.  The other one froze this winter, I am still waiting to see if it will live or die.  It's not healthy but some fronds are still green.   

我2020 (快2年以前)開始種這個花園。  除了這些以外還有其他的棕櫚。

對不起,知道你不用繁體字。  不知道怎麽變我電腦的設定。 

so my garden is still pretty young, the palms are all still quite small.  

 

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
5 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

It's the end of winter, so my garden isn't in top condition. Here's a video from the end of last summer, it looked pretty good then.  You can see the Arenga engleri at 2:36.  It is still doing well.  The other one froze this winter, I am still waiting to see if it will live or die.  It's not healthy but some fronds are still green.   

我2020 (快2年以前)開始種這個花園。  除了這些以外還有其他的棕櫚。

對不起,知道你不用繁體字。  不知道怎麽變我電腦的設定。 

so my garden is still pretty young, the palms are all still quite small.  

 

It's okay. I can read both simplified and traditional Chinese characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
8 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

It's the end of winter, so my garden isn't in top condition. Here's a video from the end of last summer, it looked pretty good then.  You can see the Arenga engleri at 2:36.  It is still doing well.  The other one froze this winter, I am still waiting to see if it will live or die.  It's not healthy but some fronds are still green.   

我2020 (快2年以前)開始種這個花園。  除了這些以外還有其他的棕櫚。

對不起,知道你不用繁體字。  不知道怎麽變我電腦的設定。 

so my garden is still pretty young, the palms are all still quite small.  

 

It should be good night time for America now. Good night! And it's daylight in China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho

So cool to see that the love of palms is worldwide :greenthumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar

I have a lot of trachies in my yard here in Raleigh NC, zone 7b. I've heard Livistona Chinensis is a die-back perennial for colder areas like mine. So I planted one right up against my house. Hasn't experienced a winter yet but my plan is just to throw frost cloth over it during the coldest nights and/or when we have frozen precipition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022

Caryota maxima Blume ex Martius,This kind is also native to China. Its leaf is like a small fish, but I always think it's not very beautiful from a distance. Is there any race in the United States?

574e9258d109b3de028247ad27f2eb89810a4c88.jpeg

src=http___inews.gtimg.com_newsapp_bt_0_13548622378_641.jpg&refer=http___inews.gtimg.webp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
On 4/19/2022 at 10:23 PM, knikfar said:

I have a lot of trachies in my yard here in Raleigh NC, zone 7b. I've heard Livistona Chinensis is a die-back perennial for colder areas like mine. So I planted one right up against my house. Hasn't experienced a winter yet but my plan is just to throw frost cloth over it during the coldest nights and/or when we have frozen precipition. 

Is it very cold in winter in most parts of the United States? Because I read many people's articles, they seem to be discussing the problem of cold resistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte
On 4/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, Jesse PNW said:

so my garden is still pretty young, the palms are all still quite small.

Thanks for sharing. Impressive garden! The bananas steal the show there for me (for now...)!
:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

@ShiYi2022 I know there are a lot of Caryota in Florida, and some in California.  I'm not sure if they are grown in other states.  I used to agree, from a distance they look more like a tree than a palm, but I have grown to like them a lot.  Because of how tall they are, they make good canopy for smaller palms and plants.  Besides maxima there are a couple other species.  

好像Caryota應該叫魚尾葵,你寄的圖表只有三種種類-Caryota在弗羅里達州和加州種者,不確定其他州有沒有。我以前跟你一樣,從遠方Caryota(魚尾葵?)看起來像樹,不像棕櫚。可是現在喜歡。因爲這麽高,可以為更小的棕櫚和植物當。。。天棚是對的詞嗎?Canopy ?

如果我說錯的,請你告訴我吧。需要發展。

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW
39 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

 I'm not sure if they are grown in other states.  

不确定其他州有没有

Actually I spoke wrong.  I know of an least a few growing in my state.  They are all very small and evidently need to be repotted!

其实我说错了。知道我住的州有至少几个。都很小,看来要更大的花盆!  大的是喜马拉雅鱼尾葵,小的是Caryota mitis.

The Caryota maxima himalaya came from @Scott W last fall and I believe has put out two fronds since then.  It will be too big for my growbox soon, which will fix the sunburnt leaves. 

20220423_093524.jpg

20220423_093842.jpg

20220423_094735.jpg

20220423_100236.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oasis371

I LOVE Caryota mitis.  It's probably one of my top five favorite palms..., especially as houseplants.  I grow mine in containers, in fact, mine just went outside until November.  They USED to be available in my local big box stores, now they sell nothing special.  Their only potential flaw is that they have poor drought resistance, I lost a beautiful one first due to a missed watering.  Always surprised to see them on some peoples' hated list for palms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

I think one of the biggest reasons people hate them is because they're monocarpic and a PITA to remove due to their size.  Unlesss you want to let gravity  and nature do the work, I've seen pictures of the damage they can cause. ...

7A02CE45-B05F-404A-9C42-BD80F1DB163B.jpeg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022

They don't seem to have self-cleaning function, including Queen palm. Among all the palms I grow, Archontophoenix alexandrae is a palm with self-cleaning ability. It looks very clean and beautiful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShiYi2022
13 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

其实我说错了。我知道至少有几个生长在我的州。他们都很小,显然需要重新移植!

其实我说错了。知道我住的州有至少几个。都很小,看来要更大的花盆!大的是喜马拉雅鱼尾葵,小的是卡里奥塔·米蒂斯。

喜马拉雅山核桃来自于@斯科特W去年秋天,我相信从那以后已经长出了两片叶子。它很快就会变得对我的生长箱来说太大了,我的生长箱可以修复晒伤的叶子。

20220423_093524.jpg

20220423_093842.jpg

20220423_094735.jpg

20220423_100236.jpg

Sometimes I think potted plants limit his growth. He may hardly grow due to limited space, but when I saw a photo yesterday, potted plants can also grow very large, but it takes a lot of time.

微信图片_20220424143231.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • ShiYi2022
      By ShiYi2022
      I have a Beccariophoenix alfredii Palm. Although I checked some information,  I planted it for the first time. I want to ask you how cold tolerance is. If you have tested this variety, please tell me relevant experience. Thank you!
      Here are three questions. Can he survive for a short time - 5 ℃ when he is 5 years old? If the temperature stays between - 2 ~ 8℃ for a long time, do you need to put on some clothes for him to keep warm? Can you survive at this temperature without any protection? (the weather is recorded in my area)


×
×
  • Create New...