IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia Robusta and other cold hardy palms

zegroeg

I live in the Tampa Bay area and looking for Washingtonia Robusta palms for my back yard. Can’t seem to find a nursery/farm/seller that has them. Anyone in central Florida know of a place that sells and delivers them? Don’t need anything big — maybe 6-8 feet tall. 

Unfortunately the frost this winter took all my foxtails and Christmas palms, so want to replace them with something that’s more cold hardy. Other suggestions welcome, too. 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zegroeg said:

I live in the Tampa Bay area and looking for Washingtonia Robusta palms for my back yard. Can’t seem to find a nursery/farm/seller that has them. Anyone in central Florida know of a place that sells and delivers them? Don’t need anything big — maybe 6-8 feet tall. 

Unfortunately the frost this winter took all my foxtails and Christmas palms, so want to replace them with something that’s more cold hardy. Other suggestions welcome, too. 

Thanks in advance!

Sunscape usually has Washingtonia robusta at that size: https://www.sunscapeinc.com/

I'm certainly surprised you lost Wodyetia bifurcata (Foxtail Palm) and Adonidia merrillii (Christmas Palm) in Tampa this winter!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks - I’ll check them out. 

My yard faces a pond and it’s wide open, so I think that’s what did it. The foxtails in our front yard are growing back nicely though!

• Like 1

Why don't you try a Bismarckia Nobilis. Plenty cold hardy and much more of a statement piece then any Washingtonia could ever do for your yard , imo 

T J 

T J 

• 2 weeks later...

If you want livingstona chinensis PM me

Lucas

On 4/19/2022 at 8:51 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Why don't you try a Bismarckia Nobilis. Plenty cold hardy and much more of a statement piece then any Washingtonia could ever do for your yard , imo 

T J 

I would love to, but unfortunately too big for my yard.

9 hours ago, zegroeg said:

I would love to, but unfortunately too big for my yard.

If your willing to deal with a robusta you could take up a lil more space for a bizzie =) 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J