IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

about Beccariophoenix alfredii Palms

ShiYi2022

I have a Beccariophoenix alfredii Palm. Although I checked some information,  I planted it for the first time. I want to ask you how cold tolerance is. If you have tested this variety, please tell me relevant experience. Thank you!

Here are three questions. Can he survive for a short time - 5 when he is 5 years old? If the temperature stays between - 2 ~ 8 for a long time, do you need to put on some clothes for him to keep warm? Can you survive at this temperature without any protection? (the weather is recorded in my area)

微信图片_20220411112242.png

beccariophoenix-alfredii.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ShiYi2022 said:

If the temperature stays between - 2 ~ 8 for a long time, do you need to put on some clothes for him to keep warm? Can you survive at this temperature without any protection? (the weather is recorded in my area)

From what I understand, B. alfredii can certainly take brief frosts, but days of freezing temperatures will kill them. It depends what you mean by a long time. I don't think your daytime highs are high enough to grow this palm without a lot of protection in winter, and even then it might be difficult. The palm needs to recover from frosts with daytime temperatures of at least 10-15C+; hovering around freezing for weeks will likely kill it. Your temperatures are on the border of what might be possible with protection/extra heating.

1 hour ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

From what I understand, B. alfredii can certainly take brief frosts, but days of freezing temperatures will kill them. It depends what you mean by a long time. I don't think your daytime highs are high enough to grow this palm without a lot of protection in winter, and even then it might be difficult. The palm needs to recover from frosts with daytime temperatures of at least 10-15C+; hovering around freezing for weeks will likely kill it. Your temperatures are on the border of what might be possible with protection/extra heating.

Thank you for your advice. I've been exploring hardy palm, but the cold winter always makes my choice smaller