IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rocks/weight

JohnAndSancho

It's been reeeeeeally windy here so far this year - a few of my Outdoor Squad are heavy enough that it doesn't matter, but my Majesty, Baby Queen, and D. Lutescens keep falling over. I've already planned to repot them all 2 sizes larger, but can I add some gravel or rocks or broken concrete or something to add weight to keep them from blowing over? My a. Tuckerii seedlings have been inside since the last freeze anyway since the wind is almost uprooting them. The other 3 I mentioned are top heavy and lightweight while Dirty Sanchez, Sancho Jr, the queen, and my Butia x Lyto are all heavy already. 

We keep getting sustained 15-20mph with 40mph gusts and I'm tired of plants blowing over and soil spilling all over my patio. I know clay pots are an option too, but I'm looking at cost and knowing I won't live here forever and they get heavy. 

I had the same problem with my majesty but went the clay pot route. Living on the 3rd floor I dread the day I move.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It's been reeeeeeally windy here so far this year - a few of my Outdoor Squad are heavy enough that it doesn't matter, but my Majesty, Baby Queen, and D. Lutescens keep falling over. I've already planned to repot them all 2 sizes larger, but can I add some gravel or rocks or broken concrete or something to add weight to keep them from blowing over? My a. Tuckerii seedlings have been inside since the last freeze anyway since the wind is almost uprooting them. The other 3 I mentioned are top heavy and lightweight while Dirty Sanchez, Sancho Jr, the queen, and my Butia x Lyto are all heavy already. 

We keep getting sustained 15-20mph with 40mph gusts and I'm tired of plants blowing over and soil spilling all over my patio. I know clay pots are an option too, but I'm looking at cost and knowing I won't live here forever and they get heavy. 

Tie them to your rails or group them together?

Pumice is pretty heavy and will substantially increase the weight of a medium/large pot, as well as improving the drainage in an entirely positive way. Downside is that it's quite expensive (it is endlessly re-useable, though). I'd not add broken concrete as this might leach lime and make the medium too alkaline. Gravel ought to be fine, but won't really add anything other than weight. Putting smallish rocks right at the bottom of the pot (as in crocks) will make it less top-heavy and improve drainage. You could also put rocks/bricks around the palms on the top of the pot to weigh them down.

i personally do not like adding rocks into the container because when you move the plant the rocks can shift around and batter the roots

also when you go to transplant to a bigger pot the same thing can happen

i think rebar and or digging a hole to put the pot in and or guy wires are better options

• Upvote 1