IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for Ficus Aurea (Strangler Fig)

clinenotklein

I'm currently doing an experiment with more "hardy" Ficus in Hilton Head, SC, an area listed as borderline 8b/9a but in reality strong 9a with patches of 9b microclimates likely (see my post on thriving Ficus specimens in the area here),  and with Ficus Aurea (Strangler Fig) being the closest one to "native," it has to be included. If anyone has cuttings or plants, let me know. Also, does anyone have word on the spread of this plant into the more northern parts of Florida? Currently the furthest north one is an escapee on a date palm trunk in Jacksonville area, and official "range" is into Volusia County–though there's no way they're not creeping up the St. Johns and would love field reports if they exist. 

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 2:47 AM, clinenotklein said:

I'm currently doing an experiment with more "hardy" Ficus in Hilton Head, SC, an area listed as borderline 8b/9a but in reality strong 9a with patches of 9b microclimates likely (see my post on thriving Ficus specimens in the area here),  and with Ficus Aurea (Strangler Fig) being the closest one to "native," it has to be included. If anyone has cuttings or plants, let me know. Also, does anyone have word on the spread of this plant into the more northern parts of Florida? Currently the furthest north one is an escapee on a date palm trunk in Jacksonville area, and official "range" is into Volusia County–though there's no way they're not creeping up the St. Johns and would love field reports if they exist. 

Thanks!

Ficus aurea are being found in the St. Augustine area:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/70904-climate-and-ecology-of-east-central-florida-observations/?page=2#comment-1023362

If I could successfully root one of our wayward volunteers, would you be interested?:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/52720-ficus-aurea-in-interior-central-florida/#comment-799134

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 6 months later...
On 9/17/2022 at 11:20 PM, kinzyjr said:

Totally missed this response–awesome thread. Drove to around St. Augustine last year after assuming (correctly, apparently) that that was probably the uppermost range of them in Florida (intended to go about as far as New Smyrna but from SC that's a hell of a drive) and gave up not seeing anything. Does the offer still stand? Don't bother with rooting them, I have grow tents that root Ficus so quickly I still haven't come to terms with it lol. Message me. Thanks!

Edited by clinenotklein
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why anyone would want to intentionally extend the range of an aggressive Ficus species is beyond me. It's kind of like bringing a Tyrannosaurus to your neighborhood. Fascinating, impressive, but wait until the appropriate pollinator also arrives... big problem!