IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transplanting a Washingtonia Filifera

IGordon

My father has 3 Washingtonia Filiferas that were planted about 5 feet apart, 4 years ago.  Their trunks are about 6 feet high and the fronds are at least another 10 feet.  There is about 3 feet open space between each palm.  They are all healthy.  My sister wants to dig up the one in the middle and move it to her yard (same city).   I am afraid the roots will be intertwined and we should just buy another palm for her.  Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks,

Ilona, San Antonio

They're cheap and grow VERY fast.  I'd just say buy another.  But, if it's trunk you want, dig it.  They dig fairly easily.  Just give it enough root ball (14-18" all around/ 24" deep) and don't cut so close to the others so as to cause them to topple over in a strong wind (probably not a problem).  The other palms will have enough root system on the other sides of them to keep them going strong, so you probably won't even affect the others.  Perhaps I have a wrong notion about Washies, but its very nearly impossible to kill them (well don't cut the root ball off, strip the roots, or subject to extreme cold in the process).  It's an abolute Weed in my area.  They grow with or without water, in hot, cold, high, low, wherever the birdie poops out a seed.  Plus they're in every shopping center in California, 30 and 40 foot of clear trunk with a 36" root ball when transplanted...  They are amazing!

Visalia, CA

Zone 9B

Hot Summers - Annual average 40+ days of 100+ degrees (no rain from April/May to October/November)

Freezes too - winter lows in high 20s

Oh yeah and Bad Air (inbetween cities with #1 and #2 ranked bad air in the nation - Fresno and Bakersfield)

WE NEED MORE TREES

Hello Ilona,

As a local SA area resident too, I can tell you W. Filifera is THE best palm for SA in my humble opinion.  They are fast, durable, drought tolerant, hardy, and get HUGE.  You see them everywhere.  So either way, whether you want to transplant, or plant a new one, before long, you will have a large palm.  Good luck.

Be ready for a huge job.  You won't need much rootball but the palm will still weigh at least over 200 lbs.  It's a bear getting through all of the fibrous roots too.  You'll think you've got the thing licked and it still won't budge.  Like the others said, success rate is really good and you can't beat instant landscape size palms, but be ready for a major undertaking.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Certainly agree with MattyB.  Alot of work...  If time and effort were worth money (my buisness partners think mine is free) I'd pay for a new tree.  But that's me.

Visalia, CA

Zone 9B

Hot Summers - Annual average 40+ days of 100+ degrees (no rain from April/May to October/November)

Freezes too - winter lows in high 20s

Oh yeah and Bad Air (inbetween cities with #1 and #2 ranked bad air in the nation - Fresno and Bakersfield)

WE NEED MORE TREES

Thanks Everyone for your expert opinions!  I'm leaning toward a new tree, just to save the strain on us humans (and the other palms).  It surely must be better to not rip something from the ground unless you HAVE to.

I do have 3 Washingtonias myself.  The one in the front is 5 yrs old and past 20 ft!  I have quit fertilizing it :)  One of the ones in the back was a volunteer seedling and is now 6 ft!  I love the tropicals, because they have such a good attitude toward surviving.  Such happy plants.

I'll check back with y'all if I have questions about my Queen Palms or Canary Islands....

Thanks again.....

if there is 3 or more feet between the trunks you can transplant no worries!!!

our field spacing on washingtonias is 5 feet to 8 feet depending on which market I am planting for.

but thats just my opinion.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(IGordon @ Aug. 08 2006,19:02)

I do have 3 Washingtonias myself.  The one in the front is 5 yrs old and past 20 ft!  I have quit fertilizing it :)  One of the ones in the back was a volunteer seedling and is now 6 ft!  I love the tropicals, because they have such a good attitude toward surviving.  Such happy plants.

I'll check back with y'all if I have questions about my Queen Palms or Canary Islands....

Thanks again.....

Hey, that's exactly what I have in my yard.  Washingtonias (robusta, hybrid, and filifera), CIDP and queens.  Also have a bizzie that someone gave me.  Let us know how the queens do and post pics of your palms if you are able to.

• 4 months later...

Gordon:

Tell us what happened?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 5 years later...

I bought this Washingtonia filifera (California Fan Palm) on the coast of South Carolina, about 100 miles from where I live and I live inland near Columbia. Days later the fronds went down and constricted, I suppose due to transplanting stress and due to water loss (I water it) etc. The root ball dug was huge, at least 2-3 feet wide. The trunk size is 2 feet of clear trunk. The fronds were tied up for a couple days and during transportation. The fronds were covered with a tarp during drive on the highway. The root ball was kept moist all the time during the move and transplanting. Now waiting to see how it will establish itself. Where I am is Zone 8A, but close to Z8B. Has anyone else have such transplanting shock when transplanting their Washingtonia filifera?

post-4470-035184400 1335885812_thumb.jpg

Edited by SoulofthePlace

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

SOP!

Nice to meet you!

Hmm. Washies move very easily.

Your timing is about perfect, since the growing season is ahead of you.

When, exactly did you move it? (I assume recently.)

Keep it watered, but not sodden, and wait. It should start to send up new leaves very soon.

DON'T go crazy with fertilizer, especially high-nitrogen. If someone from your 'hood says to fertilize follow their recommendations, but, I've found chemicals to be a mixed bag.

Give it a nudge with your toe. As it roots in, it will get tighter and tighter in the ground, and it might make roots before sending up leaves.

Keep us posted in any case, so we can cheer you on . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave would it make sense to provide some shade in the short term?

It probably wouldn't hurt, at least if it got really hot.