IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Strelitzia Nikolai (giant bird of paradise)

DAVEinMB

This was its 3rd winter in the ground here in Myrtle Beach, zone 8b. The first 2 winters it really didn't get tested as temps were basically in the 9b range. This past winter it went through freezing rain and a couple dips to 19F unprotected. First pic is before the storm, 2nd is the aftermath of the ice, and 3rd is the recovery pic from today (4/7/22).

20211201_131332.jpg

20220202_150529.jpg

20220407_162700.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

At least it is coming back.  Thank you for providing your data on these!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I've added another to my landscaping based on how quickly this one is recovering, definitely tougher than I expected. 

Absolutely, I'm always trying to contribute to the cause :shaka-2:

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Mine take moderate leaf burn anywhere below freezing, especially with frost.  At around 27 to 30F with frost they are mostly defoliated.  At 24-26F with frost they are 100% defoliated, but I didn't lose any of the ~10 partially trunking ones or the cluster of 4 or so smaller plants at 4 to 6' tall overall.  They just tak until May to start regrowing from severe defoliation.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

It didn't make it. It was attempting to push new growth but never fully recovered. I think if it was in a sunnier area it would have been alright. 

There are some clumps on ocean blvd in an exposed but very sunny area that all recovered. I'll try to get pictures this week. 

• Upvote 1

Here are the ones I referred to above. They were killed back to the ground from the freezing rain we got rid past winter. Pictures are from today - 11/28/22

20221128_113950.jpg

20221128_113938.jpg

20221128_113929.jpg

• Like 3