Tracy

Howea belmoreana - how long for seeds to mature

Tracy

I've grown both Howea species for a while but never tried collecting any of the seeds to germinate them.  Since the Howea forsteriana are pretty commonly available where I live, the only one of interest might be the Howea belmoreana seeds.  My belmoreana is holding several inflorescence and one of the oldest has some large green seeds.  Any thoughts on timeline?  I recall someone saying that the Lord Howe Island palms seeds in general take a long time to mature on the plant, but maybe I was confused and that was germination time?

20220405-BH3I7310.jpg

20220405-BH3I7311.jpg

• Like 4

Billeb
3 hours ago, Tracy said:

20220405-BH3I7311.jpg

Tracy, I have no input on the germinating of Belmoreana seeds but I’m surprised how small a stature your tree has begun to seed. I assume the tree is very old just not grown so vertical in its life. 

-dale

• Like 1

Steve Mac

Mine took years like the other Howea, 2 or 3 from memory.

• Like 2

Tyrone

They can take up to 4 years to ripen and up to 3 years to germinate. They’re in no hurry. 

• Like 1

TheMadScientist

@Tyrone, have you seen these turn reddish/brown from the green when they are ripe?

Tyrone
19 hours ago, TheMadScientist said:

@Tyrone, have you seen these turn reddish/brown from the green when they are ripe?

Yes, to be ripe they’ve got to at least be going yellow orange first. A green seed won’t germinate. A red seed will of course. The outer husk needs to break down over time and kind of compost down before they germinate. That can take 6-12 months. Then it just falls off. It is almost impossible to remove the husk from a seed just picked. 

• Like 2

Darold Petty

The owner of a Howea production nursery in NSW once told me that he obtains better germination with seed that is yellow, just before the transition to the full reddish-maroon.

As Tyrone stated, it is too difficult to remove the husk, and this nursery doesn't bother to do so either.  

BigFrond

I have a juvenile belmoreana but many adult fostorianas.  I think thy're similar.  The seeds take a while to ripe but they germinate easily on the ground and it does not take long either.  Haha... I just leave the seeds fall to the ground and the will sprout.

20220407_080745.jpg

• Like 2

BigFrond

20220407_080755.jpg

• Like 1

Tracy
On 4/5/2022 at 9:40 PM, Billeb said:

Tracy, I have no input on the germinating of Belmoreana seeds but I’m surprised how small a stature your tree has begun to seed. I assume the tree is very old just not grown so vertical in its life. 

My experience in this climate zone is that the ring spacing is much tighter with H belmoreana versus H forsteriana.  With the long upright petioles, you can see the plants overall height is significant, even though ringed trunk is only about 30'.  3 of 4 I have grown have started putting out flower spathes at about the same growth point, so it seems pretty typical.

20220410-BH3I7338.jpg

20220410-BH3I7342.jpg

• Like 3

Billeb
4 minutes ago, Tracy said:

20220410-BH3I7338.jpg

20220410-BH3I7342.jpg

Noted. Your previous pictures are deceiving. As you said, much different between the Forsteriana and Belmoreana as far as height. I have both and like the look of Belmoreana better. Yours looks great!! 

-dale