IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coldest Temps you saw in Winter of 22

Gator

There could be a new post ... Coldest Temps you saw in Spring of 22

There have been some very chilly temps in the PNW and some wet snow in some areas recently. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

There have been some very chilly temps in the PNW and some wet snow in some areas recently. 

We have 8" in some areas of Portland this morning - no joke.  Latest snow fall in recorded history. Schools closed, highways closed, trees down everywhere and at least 50,000 without power.

I bottomed out at 31F for about an hour.  Still snowing...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

We have 8" in some areas of Portland this morning - no joke.  Latest snow fall in recorded history. Schools closed, highways closed, trees down everywhere and at least 50,000 without power.

I bottomed out at 31F for about an hour.  Still snowing...

Same system we had on Saturday/Sunday. It was hyper localized in my area, with some areas having 0 accumulation while 5 minutes down the road had 15+cm. I had about 5cm of the white stuff and bottomed out at 0.5C, power was out for 12 hours from trees falling everywhere. Back to sunshine and 10C here today, the snow is gone like a bad dream.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

23 degrees at my home in San Antonio in early February.  Nearly two days of freezing rain falling with a steady day time temp around 30-33. That weather was able to damage some of the fronds on my filiferas but the more upright ones were unaffected..

4 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

Same system we had on Saturday/Sunday. It was hyper localized in my area, with some areas having 0 accumulation while 5 minutes down the road had 15+cm. I had about 5cm of the white stuff and bottomed out at 0.5C, power was out for 12 hours from trees falling everywhere. Back to sunshine and 10C here today, the snow is gone like a bad dream.  

Up in Courtenay / Comox no snow - clear and a low of 1°C / 34°F. Cloud mix later and periodic rain showers. I wouldn't doubt that some areas had some hail at some point. North side shade temp today is 13°C / 55°F and sunny. No real promise of decent warmer weather in the near future either. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

THIS IS TRUE.....my forecast for tomorrow is 14 degrees

• Like 3

10F here in Cherokee County OK. Had to cover plants more than I have in some colder winters though. We had about five significant snow and/or ice events this year.  All but maybe one of those events was preceded by heavy rain. Heavy rain and temps then dropping below 20F over and over wasn't much better on my landscape than the -14F of the previous winter.

Thats probably over the top, but the damage I got this year was quite a bit worse than most winters that don't drop below 10F.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Up in Courtenay / Comox no snow - clear and a low of 1°C / 34°F. Cloud mix later and periodic rain showers. I wouldn't doubt that some areas had some hail at some point. North side shade temp today is 13°C / 55°F and sunny. No real promise of decent warmer weather in the near future either. :rolleyes:

Just issued, your turn comes tomorrow! 

F9252DA3-9DD7-4116-9FD3-3D48F1DFEE61.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

Standing by on that forecast. We'll see if that materializes here. Campbell River seems to get the brunt of these weather events. I was just up there yesterday and all the palms I saw where in great shape.

18 hours ago, Chester B said:

Best of luck with that white stuff.

There was a varied mix of rain and wet snow this morning. There was a brief period where the wet snow became heavy and we've ended up with ½" of slush. Very chilly at 38°F with rain expected this afternoon. Brrrr!

Some zone-pushed palms in a light dusting of very wet snow... 32.7 this morning. 

20220413_063511.jpg

20220413_063446.jpg

20220413_063423.jpg

20220413_063413.jpg

20220413_063404.jpg

Edited by Jesse PNW
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

Some zone-pushed palms in a light dusting of very wet snow... 32.7 this morning. 

That looks a little unsettling but the wet snow should melt quickly. We got about that much yesterday and melted within two hours. Just two blocks away there was no snow. Woke up to 36°F today and it's already moving up. I'm getting a bit tired of moving tender plants for these events.

It got down to about 4F one night and 7F on another in January. After that it only dipped down into the mid teens but mostly twenties for me. Wind Chill makes things feel worse for me but Plant's don't experience Wind Chill like we do. Usually Temps change very quick here in Central KY (6b). It can be a 4F night and the next night it's 45F. Because of that, my ground is never deeply frozen for too long.

• Like 1

Ha, you guys have nothing on me lol, try nights of -42c or -43.6f....with the wind chill :bemused:

Edited by Palmlover_78

5 minutes ago, Palmlover_78 said:

Ha, you guys have nothing on me lol, try nights of -42c or -43.6f....with the wind chill :bemused:

Well, I assume they have palms and yours are plastic?

• Like 1

31F in my backyard. Very minor damage on my adonidia double otherwise no damage on any other zone 10 palms I have.

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

coldest 16F or 17F.

This April cold spells have been interesting but very annoying.  Just snow with rain here, but down south of me in Lewis co. some areas got 3.5" but it was all gone by morning. 

Half of my bromeliads outside are dead, but the ones in the unheated greenhouse are totally fine.  :greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2022/4/13 at PM9点36分, Jesse PNW said:

一些区域推动的手掌在非常潮湿的雪中轻轻撒上......今天早上32.7。 

20220413_063511.jpg

20220413_063446.jpg

20220413_063423.jpg

20220413_063413.jpg

20220413_063404.jpg

What's your lowest temperature this winter? Which palms have survived?

@ShiYi2022 最低气温16f 或是 -8.9摄氏度。

没有保护的Palms I did not protect:

Trachycarpus (fortunei, nainatal)

Butia eriospatha

Rhapiophyllum hystrix

Chamaerops

Chamaedorea microspadix

Chamaedorea radicalis

Sabal uresana, louisiana

Palms I protected:

Butia (odorata?)

Syagrus romanzoffiana

Butiagrus

Arenga engleri

Chamaerops small

Jubaea

Chamaedorea microspadix

Chamaedorea radicalis

Casualties:

Arenga engleri (frost cloth came off under the weight of the snow) spearpulled. 

Chamaerops-one spearpulled while others were fine. 

One small Ch radicalis died but I think it already had a fungal infection. One right next to it has 75% leaf burn But is solid.  One Ch microspadix was unprotected, leaf burn (100%) but center spear is solid.

Jubaea, small, had spearpull

Sabal uresana 80% leaf burn

That's all I can think of。

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think we may have been around -12F for a low this year....I have a variegated Y.Gloriosa and a Y.Tomsoniana/Rostrata cross that

were just covered with rose cones and they are untouched...my baby S.Lou and S.McCurtain with strap leaves

are nuked but may return.  My hardy cactus were not covered (Except for 2 tiny agave) and all but one croaked.

None of these plants were heated over the winter.

• Like 1

Here in south-west Germany we had -8.5 °C / 16.7 °F. None of the plants outside did suffer from these temps. Only problem was the high humidity. 

Eckhard 

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

I had a nasty wet winter with 2 dips in the teens with one at least being 15F for a brief duration. Due to weather reports being off by 10F a few times, I have had more damage to palms than I had during Uri.

Assume palms were unprotected if not indicated as such. Due to my (false) forecasts hardy being lower than 25F, 'Protected' was often nothing more than a frost blanket.  We're having temps in the 90' already so I'll note if there are clear signs of recovery. 

Some notable findings (let me know if you want pics, more info, or info on a palm not listed):
- Arenga Engleri (protected) - Presumed dead
- S Miamiensis - No damage
- T Bulgaria (young) - Spear pull. Recovering.
- S Mexicana - Some leaf damage. Pushing a bad spear. 
- L. Nitida - Heavy leaf damage. Big spear pull. May die. :(
- J x S (protected) - Some leaf damage. 
- B x Hoehnei - Spear pull. No leaf damage. 
- P Canariensis - Heavy leaf damage. Recovering
- W Robusta - Heavy leaf damage. Recovering. 
- Trithrinax Acanthocoma  - Spear pull. No leaf damage. 
- Cham Radicalis - Heavy leaf damage. Recovering
- B x J x S - Heavy leaf damage. Recovering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19-21 across Austin area although I know of a few places outside of town that hit 15. Pretty similar to above surviving Robusta hybrids got burnt pretty bad and so did canariensis but I haven't seen any die or decline that were on the fence. 

Overall from 11/15/21-3/15/21

Nights <40: (42)

Nights <30: (12)

Nights <25: (3)

Nights >60: (21) 

Hi Temp <50: (10)

Hi Temp <40: (3)

Hi Temp >70: (63)

Hi Temp >80: (17)

-3 C / 26.6 F in Southwest Holland near the coast but inside a major city. This winter was more snowy than usual, but the low temperatures were mild.

Glad to report that both the T. Acanthocoma and L. Nitida are showing signs of recovery! 

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe we got another frost this morning! It was a light short frost, but still far colder than I've ever seen at this time of year. :bemused:

-5 degrees f here on the maine coast. Hit -1 twice as well. Coldest winter we have had here in awhile. Windmill palm survived with some protection of course. I had one yucca rostrata die and the other survived, (the one in the more dry location) both sabal minors survived next to the foundation as well. Most all foliage was damaged on the sabals.

2BE5C416-0B11-4702-B9AF-FE492459A74C.jpeg

• Like 2