IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

McAllen, Texas forecasted to hit 107°F(41.7°C) on April 5th

Meangreen94z

Austin area where I’m at will supposedly see a more mild 97°F. Then it cools back down.

51346670-7AD1-4019-8E20-2383F6231F56.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nothing like a 100+ degree day to sweat out all of those toxins ingested over the weekend...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Nearby Mission, Texas has creeped ahead to a forecast of 108°F(42.2°C). That’s a 49°F difference in the high and low.

D79369EA-8568-4B9D-83BA-519F11DEDB75.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That is hot in April for Texas even. I doubt I will make it above 70-75F this month here. The UK record for April is only 85F! The stronger sunlight intensity at your latitude allows for much greater daytime warmup year-round for you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Man I thought it was getting hot here! We are only supposed to hit 96 located inland Southern California. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

Looks like it didn't get anywhere near that hot...mid-upper 90s in the lower RGV to near 100 further inland towards Zapata and Laredo

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

What was the dew point? Temperature is just one aspect of heat!

What you look for is what is looking

On 4/5/2022 at 7:03 PM, Xenon said:

Looks like it didn't get anywhere near that hot...mid-upper 90s in the lower RGV to near 100 further inland towards Zapata and Laredo

Their high was on Wednesday, not Tuesday like Central Texas. McAllen hit 109°F, a new record for April.

92938269-8F8A-48FB-A207-14704E58DD6F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bubba said:

What was the dew point? Temperature is just one aspect of heat!

The actual high ended up being 109°F but here is the info  

70D7518A-C7C4-409B-94B0-3440AF5C262B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I see everything except “dew point”. I will check McAllen history on April 6, 2022!

This appears to be quite an out of the ordinary phenomena! The high temperature registered at 2:53 PM was 108°F with a dewpoint of 37°F, a humidity of 9%, accompanied by wind gusts of 22 mph from the north. The barometric pressure registered a low afternoon reading of 29.54 inches at 2:53 PM. I am certain that the 109°F high temperature was hit sometime between 2:53 PM and the next reading at 3:53 PM, when the temperature dropped to 103°F with a 55°F dewpoint, a relative humidity of 20% with winds from the north north west at 41 mph and barometric pressure one hour later at 29.56 inches.

It is hard for me to comprehend a dewpoint of 37°F accompanying a temperature of 109°F! During the summer in areas throughout Florida, Texas and Louisiana, it is not out of the ordinary to see dewpoints registering in the 135°F plus category with high temperatures only nearing 100°F and relative humidity in the 88% category. I would guess that this inverse parallelogram is also experienced in the dry western desert regions of the United States. Please confirm or deny if that is not the case?

I am correcting  a big blunder! The highest dewpoint ever recorded in the United States was at Melbourne, Florida on July 12, 1987. The dew point was 91°F. 

This occurred at approximately 2 PM EST, when the high temperature was only 94°F but the relative humidity was 88%. No wind and barometric pressure of approximately 29.96 inches.

My mistake above was interloping the “heat index/feels like” temperature for the dewpoint temperature. The highest recorded dewpoint in the world was recorded at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8, 2003. The air temperature was 108°F and the heat index/feels like was 178°F. I can only imagine what the relative humidity was at this time!

As it relates to dewpoints, they can drop as low as zero. Unfortunately, I cannot locate any site that correlates the heat index/feels like temperature corresponding to record temperatures in either the eastern or western United States.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The highest dewpoint was 95°F at the above referenced Saudi Arabian location.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bubba said:

The highest recorded dewpoint in the world was recorded at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8, 2003. The air temperature was 108°F and the heat index/feels like was 178°F. I can only imagine what the relative humidity was at this time!

How the hell can you experience a heat index of 178F!? When I was in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt back in August 2012 one of the days reached 110F with a heat index of about 125-130F and it was absolutely unbearable. You couldn’t escape the discomfort and I had to sit in front of an air conditioning unit all day long with drinks at hand.

I still remember suffering heat exhaustion and getting sick on one of those days as well after drinking tons of water and spending the whole day alternating between the pool & an air-conditioned room. So I can only imagine what a heat index of 45-50F on top of that would be like!?

It would literally be life threatening, even in the shade with plentiful drinks. A heat index of 178F will kill you quickly. Just brutal heat. Worse than a dry 120F day in Death Valley, since the heat index would be way lower. No wonder so many Saudi’s drop dead on construction sites. It’s the same in Qatar & the other gulf states during the summer months when any monsoons creep in. I am not a fan of humidity in general . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I forgot to point out that the heat index/real feel of 91°F dewpoint recorded in Melbourne, Florida was 144°F. This was with a high temperature of 94°F that day.

it is not uncommon, particularly in the interior parts of Florida and Louisiana, as well as some areas of Texas, to see heat indexes in the 135° F plus range in summertime. Athletes who practice in these conditions develop an extra gear and strength that is hard to compete with when facing competition from benign climates.

• Upvote 2

The circumstances surrounding that type of event in Melbourne, are, in my estimation and experience, the kind where you are near the end of a heat wave (or it is just the middle of summer, as mid 90s are hardly uncommon in inland Central Florida on summer days) and we have a very brief, heavy rain which abates and leaves a windless, steam bath and the rain is too brief to drop the temperature much if at all and/or it rises again rapidly once the sun comes out.

-Michael

• Like 1

Here's a couple of typical Darwin 'wet season' days....you do get acclimatised to it....I dont use AC at home, only turn them on if I have visitors up from the cooler climes down south.
AlohsBDl.jpg nw1bglml.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/12/2022 at 9:21 AM, UK_Palms said:

am not a fan of humidity in general . 

Agreed. The air feels way too thick to breathe. This is why I live in the desert. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

My question to westerners is always whether or not they realize how much easier low humidity is on the human condition. I have always speculated that you cannot fully comprehend the great feeling of low humidity unless you are inundated in a climate of high humidity. When you arrive from Florida to anywhere in the western United States, it is like outdoor air conditioning!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bubba said:

My question to westerners is always whether or not they realize how much easier low humidity is on the human condition. I have always speculated that you cannot fully comprehend the great feeling of low humidity unless you are inundated in a climate of high humidity. When you arrive from Florida to anywhere in the western United States, it is like outdoor air conditioning!

For sure.. I’ve lived in Florida, Illinois, Georgia and Texas. Never again. It does get a little cold here for me, but it’s definitely worth the trade off. I find humidity over 60 unbearable and smelly. 
My ideal climate would be BSC, Mexico.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bubba said:

2 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

For sure.. I’ve lived in Florida, Illinois, Georgia and Texas. Never again. It does get a little cold here for me, but it’s definitely worth the trade off. I find humidity over 60 unbearable and smelly. 
My ideal climate would be BSC, Mexico.

Living in both places, ..and the homeland ( California ), Kansas, and Ohio,  ..I can say this:  Low humidity is great, ..up to a certain point..  Never had issues w/ heat until moving here..  That said, there were a few nights each year ( in Florida ) where  ..if the wind came off the Gulf at just the right angle, nights would get sweaty w/ out air conditioning..  Other than that though, fairly pleasant, especially when, ..or after it rained..  Did notice that once i got into far S. FL, when in the area, humidity did become a touch less " comfortable / enjoyable "

As i've described it to people, FL's humidity can feel like someone has wrapped you in several heavy/ thick, and soaked comforters at times, esp when it was above ..say 92 or 3 deg and dry out..

Here, w/ AZ's lack of humidity,  you can literally feel all the moisture in your body being sucked out of you.. Feels great when it is roughly 90 and below.. Once you cross into the " constantly over ..roughly 105-110F line ", that heat + lack of humidity becomes extremely dangerous.. You could drink all the fluids you can get a hold of ..and still easily  get into trouble, w/ out realizing it.

Back in FL, yes, all that stuffy humidity can definitely get a person into trouble ..at least as was my own experience on such days,  you could consume enough fluids to generally balance out any negative or dangerous effects, esp. if you stayed in the shade..

In both areas,  esp. here ..when it rains, those humid days  ..and nights  are magic..

From a gardening perspective, it's also a mixed bag.. Yes, you can get away with a lot of things here,  that said,  starting stuff from seed can be more of a challenge here, than it was in FL.  and, if you want a really tropical garden, you'd better have lots of trees, and design in a way that allows for ample rainfall runoff collection potential.. if you're able to.

All that said, i too would love to be somewhere like Todo Santos, La Paz, in BCS ..or even Alamos in Sonora proper,  which sits right on the line of AZ " dry heat " in the spring/ early summer, and FL-esque humid and rainy, relatively.. during the summer and fall.. and perfectly pleasant / frost free in the winter.. Where both desert-y things and all sorts of tropicals seem to grow fairly happily together, and California / Arizona- esque pine/ oak woodland type landscapes are just a couple hours drive higher up onto the Mexican Plateau.

• Like 2

@Silas_Sancona yes, La Paz would be the sweet spot.

But palms need supplemental irrigation unless they are endemic.

I have seen coconut palms (case you're wondering) in La Paz which do not fruit and folks have to water them.

They're all lined up by the "malecón" /boardwalk.

They don't look bad at all, but just never flower.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Check out this vid. Have a clinical/surgical view of the landscape.

(not endorsing this vid. Just addressing what I saw the five times we've been to La Paz. And it's warmer than Cabo...)

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

If you see any nuts: Let me know! :D

4 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

If you see any nuts: Let me know! :D

image.thumb.png.e17f542722570c42eebfc832803ba13c.png

29 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

@Silas_Sancona yes, La Paz would be the sweet spot.

But palms need supplemental irrigation unless they are endemic.

I have seen coconut palms (case you're wondering) in La Paz which do not fruit and folks have to water them.

They're all lined up by the "malecón" /boardwalk.

They don't look bad at all, but just never flower.

Remember seeing that when looking over the area. Regardless, if i moved there ..or just bought a couple acres to enjoy on visits, Coconuts would be wayy down of the things i'd be growing.. Think i'd also try to find a spot somewhere on a south or east facing slope of the Sierra De La Laguna, near a stream where i could direct water from during flash floods when it rains.

In that respect, and while just a general assumption  think Alamos would be easier for maintaining a greater diversity of sun tender tropicals ..( inc. possibly Coconuts ) since they get more rain than Baja Sur / runoff duration would last longer since there is a lot more mountainous terrain to the east of the town to drain off. 

Think some spots near the edge of the western " rim " of the Mex.  Plateau, ..say near Creel in Chihuahua,  also occasionally get snow in winter that eventually makes it way down stream towards the Gulf ( of CA )

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 7:50 PM, greysrigging said:

Here's a couple of typical Darwin 'wet season' days....you do get acclimatised to it....I dont use AC at home, only turn them on if I have visitors up from the cooler climes down south.
AlohsBDl.jpg nw1bglml.jpg

Wow that's pretty hot and sticky for no AC, maybe I could tolerate it in the desert at those temps, but I find that here in S Texas where the dew points during the summer are regularly in the upper 70's F (25C) I don't tolerate high temps in the house as well as I did when we lived in Arizona or Utah.

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

5 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Here, w/ AZ's lack of humidity,  you can literally feel all the moisture in your body being sucked out of you.. Feels great when it is roughly 90 and below.. Once you cross into the " constantly over ..roughly 105-110F line ", that heat + lack of humidity becomes extremely dangerous.. You could drink all the fluids you can get a hold of ..and still easily  get into trouble, w/ out realizing it.

You got that right, when we lived in AZ I was working in the landscape industry.  If I was working hard outside during a 110 degree day it was almost impossible to drink enough.  Moisture is pulled out of the body so fast that I could drink two gallons of water/gatorade/whatever in a day not even have to pee once!

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

14 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

You got that right, when we lived in AZ I was working in the landscape industry.  If I was working hard outside during a 110 degree day it was almost impossible to drink enough.  Moisture is pulled out of the body so fast that I could drink two gallons of water/gatorade/whatever in a day not even have to pee once!

Yep, that is exactly what i was doing, up until the heat won the " tolerance " battle, lol.. Probably didn't help that i'd drink my " mandatory " iced coffee each morning before work though.. 

Like you said, ...Water, Gator/ Power aid, Propel, etc.. and/ or the occasional soda..  didn't matter.  ..Could drink gallons of it and feel it getting sucked out of you within a couple hours ( or less ).  Found that Pedialyte may work, but giving that idea another summer.  What i thought was crazy was some of the guys on the landscape crew at one place always drank stuff like Redbull, all day. oof!.  ..Darn near experienced a heart attack myself  drinking that stuff ..once.. when returning to KS from California to keep myself awake ( Didn't work, ..at all, lol )

Heat was never an issue in FL, or Ohio.. and worked in nurseries/ was landscaping during the summer in both places.. Plus being out at night / out doing " something " on days off / weekends..

In  Kansas, i did landscaping / worked in a couple different nurseries primarily in the spring, so no " working thru the summer outdoors " experiences there.. Did frequent / work in a bar that was stuffed to the gills w/ many hot bodies half the week fairly regularly though.  What fun that was one summer when the AC went out for about 7 days, several of which we had big concerts scheduled.   Still, could hike around a local lake looking for plants  or sit on the dam of that lake / other areas in the car chasing /  photographing storms for several hours w/ no issues..

As i mentioned a few times elsewhere in the past, there's a reason Phoenix finally decided the time had come to close local trails when it is over 110F..  When Firefighters themselves can't handle / end up hospitalized, or have to quit entirely ..because of the heat, while performing rescues, ..that tells you all you need to know about how serious " Arizona " heat can be, especially here and west of Phoenix. 

• Like 1

There have been several rescues ( and sadly a fatality ) amongst people walking the Larapinta Trail just to the west of Alice Springs in the last week or so....and at this stage of the season, the major heat danger is over. The local Parks and Wildlife people also close this trail in the peak summer months, and April is not normally a month of extreme heat.
A few days ago a hiker was rescued after he activated a PLB ( Personal Locator Beacon ) when he realised he was in a bit of trouble heat wise. PLB's save lives in the Aussie Outback.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-12/bushwalking-larapinta-trail-rescues-death-heat-warnings-nt/100985042

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-17/larapinta-trail-rescue-central-australia-nt/100996192

Edited by greysrigging
spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Checking an interesting juxtaposition between two relatively close Texas locations this afternoon. Rio Grande City on the Rio Grande river and at the western edge of the RGV reports A temperature of 93°F, humidity at 93%, a dew point at 90.1% and a feels like temperature of 137.2°F. 

In Laredo, the temperature is 93°F, the humidity is 47%, the dew point is 68°F and the feels like temperature is 100°F.

Accordingly, in a distance of approximately 90 miles, we have quite a universe of distance meteorologically and with respect to heat. It appears that this may be where a humid Texas ends and dry West Texas starts.

• Upvote 1