IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plan Ahead for your Beccariophoenix

Dypsisdean

As hard as you try, it is almost impossible to give that little one gal enough room when you first put it in the ground. It seemed like only yesterday for this Beccariophoenix alfredii.

IMG_6257.JPG

• Like 31
  • Upvote 7

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

DROOLING!!!! 

:yay::yay::yay:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Agreed. I’m pretty confident people really have no idea how monsterous they get. Potential is there for a massive tree. Your looks perfectly grown. 

-dale

OMG and I though my Parajubaea were monsters. My B. alfredii are going to need fronds tied up just to get by them in a few years apparently. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

You are in Hawaii I don’t know if they will reach that size in phoenix mine is planted maybe 15’ from a CIDP and the fronds are already fighting be interesting to watch!!!

8 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

As hard as you try, it is almost impossible to give that little one gal enough room when you first put it in the ground. It seemed like only yesterday for this Beccariophoenix alfredii.

IMG_6257.JPG

Stop giving your palm steroids :lol: Damn that's a beauty. I had seen a post where in Orlando they had planted them is some roadside setting surrounded with pavers that pedestrians where suppose to use, made me laugh as I knew this was never going to work. Last time I saw them they where totally cut back and looked like poo.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

9 hours ago, Billeb said:

Agreed. I’m pretty confident people really have no idea how monsterous they get. Potential is there for a massive tree. Your looks perfectly grown.

Yes, people don't realize it grows out horizontally to 40 feet diameter if you let it!  Yes, I am people.  I am one of those people.  :D  Fortunately I visited Leu Gardens and realized my mistake about 6 months after planting a 5' tall 3g palm.  Transplanting it wasn't too tough, but I did have to cut through some thumb-diameter roots it had already grown.  I had planted it less than 6' from my well pump controller and water retention/filter tanks.  I *might* have been able to cut fronds back early to keep access to the water equipment, but it was also only about 8-9' from the house...and that was a much bigger mistake!

• Like 4

I have read posts where palmtalkers are discussing planting triples of this palm.  In shade it wont grow as fast at first and not as thick a trunk.  But as they reach sun, they respond with more leaves/year, increasing crown density.  I have two that I have been opening canopy up for the last 5 years and one in the sun all day.  The trunks on these can get pretty thick in full sun.  Yeah about space, Im approaching my 3rd edit to give this beast room.  So plant them like you would plant a bismarckia and then a foot or two additional.  These are not replacements for archies, teddies, chambeyronia, foxtails etc, width is closer to a big royal than any of those.  This on was put in place as a 3 gallon in august 2010BAtrunkmarch2022.thumb.JPG.c725c68b6eb7fff9695499a4a43189ec.JPGIMG_8630.thumb.JPG.aa7e8c48178515e808d7baab82c20c13.JPG  

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

35 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

The trunks on these can get pretty thick in full sun.  Yeah about space, Im approaching my 3rd edit to give this beast room.  So plant them like you would plant a bismarckia and then a foot or two additional.  These are not replacements for archies, teddies, chambeyronia, foxtails etc, width is closer to a big royal than any of those.

12 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

As hard as you try, it is almost impossible to give that little one gal enough room when you first put it in the ground.

Beautiful palms, and a lesson to those about where to plant them.  I don't have any because neither of my lots are big enough to accommodate them without giving up too much real estate for other plantings.  This is a great species if you have a large lot size or live somewhere that their marginal growth rate won't pose a problem.  I do have to confess to planting another of this genus many years ago, but it is a marginal grower here in California, so has not posed any problems due to slow growth rate (Beccariophoenix fenestralis).  Sometimes it is important to recognize that a certain palm just isn't well suited to one's garden even though one can grow it.  

Both are spectacular in your gardens though Tom & Dean.  Dean, I'm trying to recall if Dorian has one here.  His lot is quite a bit larger than mine, so he has space for one.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Beccariophoenix palms love it here on the windward side of the Big Island of Hawaii. I have all three species growing to large sizes. When I first planted fenestralis, I put two of them south of my house about 10 feet apart and one of them about three feet from my boundary fence. A couple months later, I visited the garden of alocal  couple who had been planting palms for more than 10 years. When I saw their fenestralis, I thought OMG! When I got home, I raced outside and dug up the one near the fence and dug a new hole for it out in an open area. Both are now monsters.

• Like 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

15 hours ago, howfam said:

When was the palm planted?

I'm thinking it was 10-12 yrs. from a 1 Gal.

Kona, on The Big Island

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

Dean, I'm trying to recall if Dorian has one here.  His lot is quite a bit larger than mine, so he has space for one.

I can't remember. But I have a feeling if I showed him that pic he would rethink where he planted it.

Kona, on The Big Island

Wowww mine has been a fast grower. I’ll post a pic tomorrow. Mine is about 10 feet off the house? Not sure but I’m okay with it creating the jungle feel 

• Like 1

Wow! amazing palm!  That being said, these are not coconut replacements given how massive they are. They are amazing in their own right. I probably could plant one in my yard but my adonidia double will will have to die first in its prime spot lol. It lived another winter and is going strong. I just have a hard time killing palms unless necessary. 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I bet it would also be difficult to predict the amount of water needed for such a monster to remain happy, when it is still an 1 g potted specimen. Can not think away from a similar situation with the fictional plant baby in the Little Shop of Horror.

• Upvote 1

Simply wow! I am glad mine are up on hills so maybe they can have enough room?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

2 hours ago, Billy said:

Speaking of which can we see a recent photo of Len's? 

5B0CB626-9CA2-41B5-977F-661BB5988F31.jpeg

4817327A-4186-4B7E-9B2B-4B8A7D0BF6CF.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

20 hours ago, Billy said:

Wowww My jaw just hit the floor Thanks for sharing! That alfredii is so beautiful if I had that thing in my yard I'd be calling everyone I know to tell them about it haha This just made me that much more excited about what I have to look forward to. I know your climate but of course I have to ask the question...how long has he been in the ground and from what size?

15 gallon from Pete Balasky in 2007. This plant is from the original first to cultivation seed batch. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Those of you growing this beauty in California, how much water do you give them in the summer?

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

wow, I'm going to have to eventually remove some of mine :( Didn't realize these were so massive

I know there are a million pictures of palms online but the girl in the picture reminds me of this pic I saved of Allagoptera arenaria from Palmpedia. 

Allagoptera33.jpg