Sign in to follow this  
TheMadScientist

World Famous Dypsis Decipiens has seedlings

TheMadScientist

THIS IS NO APRIL FOOL'S JOKE, it just happened today.  With permission from the Sullivan Family in Ventura, I have been documenting some of the species start of flowering to when seeds seem to become ripe to harvest during 2021.  Then Mother Nature throws a curve ball.  So. Cal. has been having it's typical DROUGHT, then the rare storm shows up...5 days with about 5 inches of rain coupled with 40-45 mph winds gusting to 50-60 mph and all of the seeds were off this palm, in the street gutter and on the grassy parkway where tiny worms were attacking them.  So many had to be thrown out during the cleaning process at home.  What was left of the fruit rubbed off by hand.  I did do a water soak for 1 day, 2 hour hydrogen peroxide soak to kill buggies and bacteria.  Photo #1 showing seeds just prior to being placed in 20 member community pots where some were 71 deg. F, some were 79 deg. F in my converted ice chests with 40 watt drop lights with lid raised photo #2, some were outdoors going through what nature not lower than 49 deg. F had and some in the garage steady between 50 - 60 deg. F.  Photo #3 & 4 are the 2 seedlings that had just pushed green through to peat/perlite surface, which I took an ice pick to move a little material away for the photo shoot.  The container closest to the light source was 79 deg. F and the container furthest away was 71 deg F.  I will update this thread as the family grows past 2 seedlings.

1863898361_Dyp.Decipseeds.thumb.JPG.51ffdc616e759ba8f1690434a0a18052.JPG

330920216_D.DecipGerm1.thumb.JPG.abb704e215d4fae7f343f2cf20562e7c.JPG

1673325471_D.DecipGerm2.thumb.JPG.ec7187b9862e2422a2d026cae9e0cee9.JPG

1913407501_D.DecipGerm3.thumb.JPG.a01725fcce7bb056b6195c5e7cb2b48b.JPG

• Like 16
  • Upvote 3

aztropic

Seeds all looked great! Hope you get more than 2 sprouts for the effort...:unsure:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

TheMadScientist

These 2 were the first TODAY.  I can't draw any conclusions yet about temperature, but I did read they prefer room temp.  I am that really frugal guy, so I had to pump up slightly what I interpret room temp.s should be.

• Like 1

BayAndroid

What's the plan for the seedlings? 

Darold Petty

Congratulations, Scott !  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

TheMadScientist
42 minutes ago, BayAndroid said:

What's the plan for the seedlings? 

Will, you ask a great question at this early stage with this species.  I have read so many posts over the years from those I consider experts, asking "Has anyone ever germinated seeds from the well documented palm"?  I don't remember seeing anyone stating...."YES, I DID".  Timing the moment to harvest any seeds is difficult more than 1 hour away (did I mention gas prices?).  When I knew about the brutal storm, arrived to see every seed off the palm, seeing the tiny worms, I had ZERO confidence of germination.  I have found that GIFTING can bring happiness to friends, family and to those on this forum that understand the effort required to get to this point.  I have read about something called "Cryptogamic root disease" that could be the next issue to solve, if it's possible.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

BayAndroid

For context, can you post a photo of the tree from which the seeds came from? I might have seen it before, (not in person) but I don't know for sure.

TheMadScientist

There are much better photos of these 2.  I was looking for photos that might be 2013 when @DoomsDave was taking @Tassie_Troy1971 on 1 of many PRA's ( palm related activities) in So. Cal.   I took these 2 photos about 6 weeks after the start of the flowering process as I had forgot to bring my IPad Air2 so they weren't to see the portrait of the entire palm.

1643679289_D.Deciplg1.thumb.JPG.193742ebd39de467f53710afe37ab004.JPG

523656459_D.Decipsm1.thumb.JPG.052c386124ed049eb19647a05fcd5717.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

BayAndroid

Ok, I have seen this one before. Very nice! 

TheMadScientist

UPDATE CONCLUDING THE FIRST MONTH OF GERMINATION... 30 have been "potted up to 20 oz. cups" after breaking down 4 community pots.  This photo is of the 15 of those 30 showing the most growth and moved outside under the canopy of the California Pepper tree, while the other 15 remain in the germination boxes.  Root development on the tallest seedlings is close to 6 inches.  None of the "room temperature" community pots developed any seedlings, so they have moved into the germination boxes  receiving elevated temp's.  Breaking down the first 4 community pots, I discovered approx. 12 seeds that were completely eaten internally leaving just the outer shell.  As you can see at the top of this post, I soaked all of these in hydrogen peroxide for 2 hours hoping to kill the worms seen during the collection.  I have found enough seeds starting the germination process to rebuild a couple of community pots.  I was reminded of the importance of using "peat moss/perlite"...roots don't get damaged, roots seem to grow better with the ease of movement, water retention without being soggy.

Now about this species.  I have asked a number of members that have had seed producing palms to learn about flowering regularity.  When I got permission from the Sullivan Heirs, he stated that both senior and junior had not produced any seeds in 2020 and on a recent trip, flowering should have started already for late fall harvesting....nothing happening.  Add any knowledge you have on this subject.1488717651_D.Decipseedling1month.thumb.JPG.c12ff0e573a1fa6421da5893e2a4f979.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tassie_Troy1971
On 4/3/2022 at 4:06 AM, TheMadScientist said:

There are much better photos of these 2.  I was looking for photos that might be 2013 when @DoomsDave was taking @Tassie_Troy1971 on 1 of many PRA's ( palm related activities) in So. Cal.   I took these 2 photos about 6 weeks after the start of the flowering process as I had forgot to bring my IPad Air2 so they weren't to see the portrait of the entire palm.

1643679289_D.Deciplg1.thumb.JPG.193742ebd39de467f53710afe37ab004.JPG

523656459_D.Decipsm1.thumb.JPG.052c386124ed049eb19647a05fcd5717.JPG

Yes it was May 2013 when Dave drove me to Ventura.

• Like 2

JubaeaMan138
20 minutes ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Yes it was May 2013 when Dave drove me to Ventura.

Why the orange straps I have asked this before any ideas?

Edited by JubaeaMan138

JohnAndSancho

Can I ask a dumb newbie question? 

The palm is gorgeous but what makes this particular palm famous and special? No disrespect intended, I do not know palm history and would like to learn. 

The Gerg

Being that I live in Ventura and this property is about 2 1/2 miles down the road I often take a slight detour home just to take a look at what’s happening with the palms.

Separately, I happened to stumble across another Dypsis decipiens also in mid town Ventura. I dropped my sons friend off and this was right next door to where his friend lives. Imagine my pleasant surprise. This one has split into 3.

0EC924CE-25E9-4BA5-9B03-54BB52FF8C70.thumb.jpeg.95c462cfbdf09486f6bdacf688877b00.jpeg

6808A69B-CDD0-40EE-9CEE-D6F76D68DE91.jpeg

• Like 6

BS Man about Palms

As the Sullivans had a nursery way back when, there is a high likelihood that that decipeins is connected to Pauleen somehow. Either an old property they had or they sold it to the owner...

TheMadScientist

Thank You @BS Man about Palms for mentioning about a Nursery.  I had never seen that in the many posts I've read about The Sullivan Properties.

@JohnAndSancho, based on the size and variety of so many rare species, PT members with interests in palms make this a "MUST SEE" location on their bucket list.....from locals, So. Cal. to Nor. Cal., out of state along with International visitors.

"Orange Strap", this junior DD is the anchor to keep some palm closer to the house from becoming an insurance claim, but I've never paid attention to which species.  There are additional "Orange Straps" holding the massive multi-headed Chamaerops Humilis from collapsing.

• Upvote 1

tinman10101
On 5/1/2022 at 6:18 AM, The Gerg said:

Being that I live in Ventura and this property is about 2 1/2 miles down the road I often take a slight detour home just to take a look at what’s happening with the palms.

Separately, I happened to stumble across another Dypsis decipiens also in mid town Ventura. I dropped my sons friend off and this was right next door to where his friend lives. Imagine my pleasant surprise. This one has split into 3.

0EC924CE-25E9-4BA5-9B03-54BB52FF8C70.thumb.jpeg.95c462cfbdf09486f6bdacf688877b00.jpeg

6808A69B-CDD0-40EE-9CEE-D6F76D68DE91.jpeg

wow thanks for sharing greg.  to me and probably most of us, its like finding a unicorn. LOL