IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Never Thought I Would See The Day

Dypsisdean

It was sometime in the early 80s when I saw my first Dypsis "Mealy Bug." The palm world was a buzz with a few new palms discovered and brought into cultivation, and showing promise for an ability to grow in more temperate climates. Difficult to find and buy, this palm epitomized the soon to be explosion of interest in the amazing palms of Madagascar and of palm growing and collecting in general.

Fast forward 40 years and I never thought I would see the day where a beautiful example of this palm would pop up in a Lowes. Now it is in Hawaii, and it is labeled wrong as a "Dark Mealy Bug" (which is another rare Malagasy palm), but there are fewer rare palms growing here in Hawaii than are being tried in California and other marginal areas. So it still stuck me as somewhat of a milestone that other long time collectors might also appreciate.

67044266362__414BB61D-7FBA-4040-B55F-9284E7B1AF9B.jpg

67044265026__1F3BB0F5-70C3-4D46-A88A-6AB734F9674E.jpg

• Like 28
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Wow.

I have no idea how I would have reacted to seeing that in person. I would probably still be standing there staring at it.

Almost seems like a 'hidden camera' practical joke played on palm fanatics.

Ryan

• Like 2

South Florida

The cycle of Holy Grail palms, right there in a nutshell, including incorrect label! 

Aka Dypsis mananjarensis, for those who may be wondering…

• Like 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dean,  did you purchase them?  What about the Medinilla on the right ?  :winkie:

San Francisco, California

2 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

It was sometime in the early 80s when I saw my first Dypsis "Mealy Bug." The palm world was a buzz with a few new palms discovered and brought into cultivation, and showing promise for an ability to grow in more temperate climates. Difficult to find and buy, this palm epitomized the soon to be explosion of interest in the amazing palms of Madagascar and of palm growing and collecting in general.

Fast forward 40 years and I never thought I would see the day where a beautiful example of this palm would pop up in a Lowes. Now it is in Hawaii, and it is labeled wrong as a "Dark Mealy Bug" (which is another rare Malagasy palm), but there are fewer rare palms growing here in Hawaii than are being tried in California and other marginal areas. So it still stuck me as somewhat of a milestone that other long time collectors might also appreciate.

67044266362__414BB61D-7FBA-4040-B55F-9284E7B1AF9B.jpg

67044265026__1F3BB0F5-70C3-4D46-A88A-6AB734F9674E.jpg

Hey Dean, how much were these? I have one but I know thing’s grow 3 times as fast back home in Hawaii 

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Brad and Dave - these were $209 - only two as of today Thursday 31st

• Like 3

Kona, on The Big Island

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

Dean,  did you purchase them?  What about the Medinilla on the right ?  :winkie:

No Darold - already have big specimens of both. But if I didn't already have, you would have seen some before and after pics of them in the ground at my place. :)

• Like 3

Kona, on The Big Island

26 minutes ago, Kim said:

The cycle of Holy Grail palms, right there in a nutshell, including incorrect label! ...

As soon as I saw Kim's post, I thought... "imagine if they were mislabeled as Triangle Palms and priced at $19.95."

Ooh...

Ryan

• Like 3

South Florida

5 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

So Dean, my first thought is where is Lowes sourcing these from?  Is the availability limited to the Big Island or are these popping up on some of the other islands as well?  It is pretty shocking and if it were a day later, I would guess it was an April Fools joke.  I guess it still could be if you were writing this from the other side of the International Date line.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

16 minutes ago, Tracy said:

So Dean, my first thought is where is Lowes sourcing these from?  Is the availability limited to the Big Island or are these popping up on some of the other islands as well?  It is pretty shocking and if it were a day later, I would guess it was an April Fools joke.  I guess it still could be if you were writing this from the other side of the International Date line.

These are from a local grower. I have seen his plants (not usually the common nursery stuff) and been to his nursery - but I don't remember seeing any palms, or know if he ships to other islands. I know he does a lot of business on Ebay.

• Like 1

Kona, on The Big Island

2 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Brad and Dave - these were $209 - only two as of today Thursday 31st

That’s a great price but I know they grow much quicker in Hawaii. That would be a cheap price in cali for that size!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

3 hours ago, deezpalms said:

That’s a great price but I know they grow much quicker in Hawaii. That would be a cheap price in cali for that size!

At that size and that price, they would sell until the local palm geeks were exhausted here in California. Me included. 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

We can only dream of finding things like this in Europe :drool: a great looking palm! Not a bad price at all considering. 

Hmm. Wow, dang, obscenities duly screamed down the elevator shaft . . . .

I'd be curious to see what a plant like those @Dypsisdean found would auction off for in California - if we had a truly motivated set of bidders.

$209 is a steal; bet they'd go for about $500 here.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Lowes and Home Depot in the Miami area seem to be engaged in a race to the absolute bottom in palm diversity.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm. Wow, dang, obscenities duly screamed down the elevator shaft . . . .

I'd be curious to see what a plant like those @Dypsisdean found would auction off for in California - if we had a truly motivated set of bidders.

$209 is a steal; bet they'd go for about $500 here.

3 hours ago, hbernstein said:

Lowes and Home Depot in the Miami area seem to be engaged in a race to the absolute bottom in palm diversity.

Probably more than that. It costs if found over $100 for a 1 gallon here. 

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

• 1 month later...

Why, oh why did I have to find this forum post after walking through the Kona Lowe's yesterday... Need to find a good spot for my new Dypsis mananjarensis :).  There is one left as of May 17, 2022. By the way ... "race to the absolute bottom in palm diversity". Here in Kona, the race has been over for years. This is the first time in 6 years that I bought a palm from the big box stores in Kona. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gunnar Hillert said:

Why, oh why did I have to find this forum post after walking through the Kona Lowe's yesterday... Need to find a good spot for my new Dypsis mananjarensis :).  There is one left as of May 17, 2022. By the way ... "race to the absolute bottom in palm diversity". Here in Kona, the race has been over for years. This is the first time in 6 years that I bought a palm from the big box stores in Kona. 

Still blows me away these are avail at big box stores. Let alone for that price. I can barely find one anywhere near that size in the SoCal palm haven. And if I did….it’d be like $1K. Seriously, you island peeps got it made. 

-dale

• Like 2

So as Paul Harvey would say (for those who remember him) "Now for the rest of the story..."

I have been watching the 2 remaining D. mananjarensis for almost 3 months with no movement. Couldn't pull the trigger and buy one because I have a mental block against paying $200 for a palm. Well, 1 of the remaining 2 sold within the last week or so as Gunnar reported. The other still there.

So I talked with management today, pointing out how long they had been stuck with this palm and asked if they wanted to negotiate the price to move the palm.

They did...

and I did...

...its back on the farm now. - gmp

DSCF5059.JPG.6669b2cd23c0cc8c2b02f8744d8a8ecf.JPG

• Like 7

As far as I know the only place to buy rare palms on O`ahu is the two Ko``olau Farms stores on the windward side of the island.  They all seem be be brought if from FB as you can tell from the black cinder in the pots.  So far the largest I've seen is in 1 gal pots.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I love Arizona for all kinds of reasons and you could not pay me ten million dollars to leave the low desert, but sometimes it does make me green with envy to see the kind of stuff you guys can grow and/or consider common or even just not-rare in Hawaii.

• Like 2

Approx 15%. 

Although labeled as Dypsis utilis I'm not sure that they are. My confirmed D. utilis did not split into multiple heads until it had about 6 ft of trunk, and the inflorescence come out below the splitting off into multiple heads. Dypsis crinita looks very much the same with multiple heads branching off a single trunk. On the other hand D. fibrous is a clustering palm and the ones at Lowes are clustering (unless someone planted more than one seed in the container).

gmp

• Like 1

@Gunnar - did you see the root bound 1 gal dwarf areca catechu for $19.98 ? - gmp

DSCF5072.JPG.70eb91fac0fed28ebb157b491d12f71a.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:46 PM, Billeb said:

Still blows me away these are avail at big box stores. Let alone for that price. I can barely find one anywhere near that size in the SoCal palm haven. And if I did….it’d be like $1K. Seriously, you island peeps got it made. 

-dale

Don't know if Walmart is considered a "Big Box" store, but if you ever find yourself in Hilo, check out the plant nursery there. These Dwarf Areca catecu were selling for $39.

dwarf.jpg

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Gunnar Hillert said:

@Dr. George need to take another look. No I did not. How many where there? 

There were quite a few last Friday - gmp

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 9:44 AM, hbernstein said:

Same here in Ft. Myers/Cape Coral. I haven't even looked lately

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.