IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea Regia (Royal Palm) varieties ?

Jaimecid

I like Royal Palm trees, beautiful examples of a nice formidable palm tree.

I got some baby palms a while ago and planted them in a property of mine.

My understanding about these palms trees is that fronds have multiple rows of leaflets in multiple rows or planes, as in the first photo.

But upon looking at the ones I planted, the leaves look like having simple leaf planes, not the multiple planes of leaflets , only just two planes of leaflets different to the first photo as shown, shown in the second photo

Ate there different varieties of Rostoinea Regia ? Or have I been sold something else ?

089016A0-2FE0-4CB0-A751-D8BE3A401815.jpeg

9B06545C-16B4-4375-BD4D-9367E3285193.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think you would need to post pics of your palm. 

Regia produce plumose leaves but the palms grow so fast when young that they can look a little stretched and ratty until they get several feet of trunk and slow down.

If your leaves are not the plumose it could be one of the other Roystonea species: Oleracea, etc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, James B said:

Regia produce plumose leaves but the palms grow so fast when young that they can look a little stretched and ratty until they get several feet of trunk and slow down.

If your leaves are not the plumose it could be one of the other Roystonea species: Oleracea, etc.

Those are great looking Roystonea and how I picture them anyway - slightly off topic but related to @James B growth comment. I’ve started marking my palms at the base of the spear along with a line on the adjacent frond….this lets me measure how much frond growth im getting. I’ve been getting about a half inch a day from my potted 15G Royal but the 30” Royal I just put up doesn’t seem to have moved at all - is this normal after going through a box planting?

The larger the palm the more the risk of transplant shock. Especially a palm that’s been in a pot or box for years. The change in environment can have a bigger impact. Larger Palms take longer to acclimate and put down roots. Don’t be surprised if 2 or 3 years from now the smaller royal has passed the larger one by.

39 minutes ago, James B said:

The larger the palm the more the risk of transplant shock. Especially a palm that’s been in a pot or box for years. The change in environment can have a bigger impact. Larger Palms take longer to acclimate and put down roots. Don’t be surprised if 2 or 3 years from now the smaller royal has passed the larger one by.

I think that’s likely going to happen - the smaller one seems more alive and actually has sprouted about 1/8” of spear growth in the past 12 hours - I would hate to think the large one just stunts entirely but there’s been zero movement for 4 days 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 4:51 PM, James B said:

The second picture is an actual picture of my palm trees in my land, the ones I mentioned show simple fronds as opposed to the plumose fronds shown on picture one. (Above the second photo) 

The top/1st photo is an internet photo posted just to show what I expected plumose fronds to look like 

My palms are shown in the second (bellow) photo

Isn’t it evident ?  The difference in frond texture ?

6 minutes ago, Jaimecid said:

The second picture is an actual picture of my palm trees in my land, the ones I mentioned show simple fronds as opposed to the plumose fronds shown on picture one. (Above the second photo) 

The top/1st photo is an internet photo posted just to show what I expected plumose fronds to look like 

My palms are shown in the second (bellow) photo

Isn’t it evident ?  The difference in frond texture ?

they look like Roystonea maisiana

• Upvote 1

Lucas

On 5/9/2022 at 9:29 AM, Little Tex said:

they look like Roystonea maisiana

You are definitely right !

Unfortunately I was sold these Maisiana instead of what I was looking for and wanted, Rostoynea Regia !

57 minutes ago, Jaimecid said:

You are definitely right !

Unfortunately I was sold these Maisiana instead of what I was looking for and wanted, Rostoynea Regia !

In my opinion it's more likely a result of different growing conditions than it is you were mistakenly sold a vastly more rare species. 

The larger palms have more compact growth and possibly due to wind or other conditions the leaflets look more randomly distributed, but fundamentally I'm sure the structure of the leaf is the same as yours. Yours may look like that when they are more mature, or maybe they won't, as I'm assuming the first photo is from Florida not California. Either way, it's more than likely your palms are R. regia. 

Edited by aabell
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aabell said:

In my opinion it's more likely a result of different growing conditions than it is you were mistakenly sold a vastly more rare species. 

The larger palms have more compact growth and possibly due to wind or other conditions the leaflets look more randomly distributed, but fundamentally I'm sure the structure of the leaf is the same as yours. Yours may look like that when they are more mature, or maybe they won't, as I'm assuming the first photo is from Florida not California. Either way, it's more than likely your palms are R. regia. 

Yeah, definitely not Maisiana, I was just noting the similarity, the trunk and size are all wrong, I don’t think any place would sell those for the price of a Royal.

Lucas

Hope you guys are right 

I understand Maisiana may be a rarer variety but I have been always attracted by the plumose full of life fronds the Regia offers, and without taking any merits from the Maisiana variety I hope my palm trees are indeed Regia specimens not fully developed 

:shaka-2: