IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Hardiness Zone Map?

Pee Dee Palms

So as many of you know, the current hardiness zone map is extremely outdated. I was wondering if anyone knows about a hardiness zone map that goes into detail that is much more modern? Also, my most important question, does anyone know when the next USDA hardiness zone map will come out?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 8:12 PM, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

So as many of you know, the current hardiness zone map is extremely outdated. I was wondering if anyone knows about a hardiness zone map that goes into detail that is much more modern? Also, my most important question, does anyone know when the next USDA hardiness zone map will come out?

Someone posted the Arbor Day hardiness zone map, which I resonate with personally. Now, I'm not sure if USDA will ever come up with a new map anytime soon. A forum member said he heard 2035, but last I read, they are not going to change it because they came to the conclusion the zones are still the same in their eyes. As a palm and sub/tropical plant guy, I honestly want us to have warmer hardiness zones but unfortunately the USDA has the OFFICIAL map because it's a federal government organization. If you planting for yourself at your personal property, you can use any map you want, Arbor included but if you doing professional landscaping or landscaping for or with a corporation (or own a plant nursery that has important clients or work with elite developers) -- then you have to go by the USDA maps more than likely to avoid anything legal, etc. Arbor Day may give you hope with the map looking "warmer" with the hardiness zones but Arbor Day Foundation is recognized as a non-profit but nowhere near the status of the USDA.

For example, Raleigh based on the NOAA is technically zone 8A at the RDU Int'l Airport station (mean min temp 12'F from '91 to '20) but it's still officially zone 7B based on the USDA map - and as I said the USDA is the standard, whether I like it or not (which I don't, but it is what it is).

Edited by Cevven
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Does the USDA have an international PH map as well?

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2022 at 2:39 PM, Manos33 said:

Does the USDA have an international PH map as well?

No, but people have made unofficial maps of other continents using the same data they use going by mean minimums. 

• Upvote 1