IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Project Brahea Armata

Swolte

Decided to finally pull the trigger on a Brahea Armata!

Thanks to Chester for finally pulling me across the line with this video: 

I found a nice specimen at the Budding Out Festival at JFGardens (formerly Peckerwood) for $250 with over a foot of trunk. I don't normally get plants this big or expensive but I felt it was a bargain for its size. Also, these palms take ages to start growing when small. The specimen I got was 'homegrown' in Texas by Grant Stephenson.

This did ruin my plant budget so I wasn't able to enjoy many other purchases at the festival...  

===

Anyway, I wanted to do another project-based thread. I enjoy reading them from others and its been a while since I did my own.  Here goes:

PIC 1 - This is the site. It is a high-traffic area leading towards the nature trails at the back of our property. The native red cedars provide a background of deep shade so anything silver in front will really pop. I had planted loblolly pines in this area years ago for their fine foliage and overhead frost protection for any palms eventually grown underneath. The place is in full Texas sun if it wasn't for an old snag from the right that needs to be removed... 

PIC 2 - Boom! I was, admittedly, proud at my aim. The tree fell right between the loblolly and some crepe myrtles (both fast growing and easily replaceable trees here so worth the risk). Not visible, but I had pulled the top of one loblolly back with rope before the big felling. I was glad I did! 

PIC 3 - Removing the trunks. Still amazed at what my 'old' electric chainsaw can accomplish. Any creative ideas on what to do with trunks are welcome!

PIC 4 - Preparing the underbrush (mostly Yaupons) for removal. I already like the look. It reveals the interesting shape of the trunk of a large post oak. My head already starts racing with ideas for plantings!   

01 Brahea.JPG

02 Brahea.JPG

03 Brahea.JPG

04 Brahea.JPG

Edited by Swolte
Cosmetic changes
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

PIC 5 - Removal of Yaupon roots and adding topsoil. 
This was by far the most time-consuming and back-breaking activity. Yaupons will return from the root with vigor so I made sure they were all gone! Very thankful for my root-slayer spade. I then worked in some more topsoil, compost, and mulch until I got a 1 ft elevation. The red flags mark the spots for the Brahea and some companion plants. 

PIC 6 - Planting the palm! 
I made sure not to disturb the root ball (Brahea are picky that way) and made sure that the palm had enough well-draining soil to explore. After I placed it in its spot, I added a mix of well draining material consisting largely of 50-50% mix of native topsoil (very Alkaline - what Brahea's would like) and some gritty stuff I had left from the construction of my rock garden (decomposed granite and gravel). I also mixed in some fine pine bark mulch and sand (this is all easier typed than done...). In total, the base of the trunk stands 3 feet above the ground. 

PIC 7 - I added some companion shrubsels! From left to right:
- Juniperus Chinensis 'Gold Lace' (great yellow-green foliage plant. Soft textures will contrast with the palm). This plant is also in front of the Brahea so, when mature, I imagine it will Cover some of the base of the palm. 
- Viburnum Suspensum (Dark leaves will provide nice color contrast with Brahea and the Juniper. Nice white blooms and red berries in the summer). Similar to the Juniper, this is also a very low maintenance plant once established. 
- Cestrum Fasciculatum (planted this behind the palm. Hoping it will grow towards the light and 'embrace' the palm with its red flowers. Found it at Barton Springs in Austin. They told me it is as tough as the, more common, Orange Cestrum).

I watered everything in with rainwater. Probably won't be watering the Brahea anymore unless we get a dry summer.

PIC 8 - Evening sun
Evening sun lights up the silver and gives that dark backdrop! I am enjoying this so much already!

05 Brahea.JPG

06 Brahea.JPG

07 Brahea.JPG

08 Brahea.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations! Here WAS my very precious BA. We already chatted I wouldn’t get another but if I had gone and saw it in person I’d be a liar. 

Did you see the Jubaea that was listed?

A4CFB789-531C-448C-9663-1F3D182D7700.jpeg

AB5F3276-B5E0-4274-BEF6-CB767BF7ED56.jpeg

• Like 5

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Awesome setting for a beautiful cold hardy palm! Really contrasts the native, especially that gnarly old deciduous tree, with the not-so-native, blue beauty. Really impressive stand out addition to the area. Nice job. What are your thoughts for this palm in zone 7?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Congratulations! Here WAS my very precious BA. We already chatted I wouldn’t get another but if I had gone and saw it in person I’d be a liar. 

Did you see the Jubaea that was listed?

Wow... great image! What a head turner! How can you not get another?! Gave me some good ideas too. Some of that dark foliage underneath looks quite good. I see you're using lots of annuals (how do you get that Colocasia to grow next to the BA?). Perhaps I can add some purple spiderwort or something. Hmm... 

I saw the Jubaea. Very nice specimen. I was just out of funds (otherwise I have to talk to my accountant wife... ) and mental capacity to get another 'borderline feasible' palm. They were trying to talk me into it but I had already rushed that BA. I refused to give it a second look. What are your thoughts on growing Jubaea here (I have just been sticking to hybrids)? I also wanted a Zamia Domingensis but they only had large 15G specimens that were $225. Another bummer. I did get a small Mazari as they were among the most silver I have ever seen (not sure where to put it yet. For now, its a backup to the BA!). I'll talk to Craig this summer about propagating their Sabal Uresana's as it is borderline sinful they don't.

2 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Awesome setting for a beautiful cold hardy palm! Really contrasts the native, especially that gnarly old deciduous tree, with the not-so-native, blue beauty. Really impressive stand out addition to the area. Nice job. What are your thoughts for this palm in zone 7?

Thank you! I am no expert on BA (yet) but from my reading I think its borderline acceptable in my climate (a cold 8b). I think the most consistent factor named for its demise are wet and cold winters. I am trying to compensate by ensuring it will receive lots of sun (build up those sugars!) and very well-draining conditions. They probably don't like soil compaction too which is something that, I believe, may be exacerbated by being close to busy streets (vibrations), building foundations, or simply having a lot of heavy clay. Apparently they like Alkaline loamy soil of which I have an abundance (its mostly a curse, though)! There are reports of specimens surviving temps in single digits but there are also reports of mature ones dying at those temperatures (including at the JFGardens). 

• Like 2

Its key to survival for me may have been those two big Washingtonias. It was a south facing raised mound and they sucked every bit of moisture out of that hill. I did try to start growing Purple Heart just within the last couple years, but even that had issues with it being so dry, but was just get going this year after the freeze. 
The BA came back pretty strong and then got crown rot basically overnight. Those Washingtonias were dead, so who knows. But I also had 6 Washingtonia drop dead after initially looking good and a Livistonia that had several leaves, but they croaked gradually. I think I had about 10 inches of rain in May to June. 

I was torn between that Jubaea and a new canary. The canary id live to see flower I hope, a Jubaea would just sit there probably slower than the Brahea A. However, there is the novelty of it for a collector. I have a JxS that’s doing ok. Just afraid to kill it in the ground. There was a Jubaea that looked good in Montgomery County. Very acidic perfect soil. I think there was one at ol Peckerwood across the stream a long time ago. Maybe? It seemed shaded out.  I did have a few 15 gallon Jubaea I got from California that I quickly killed 20 years ago. I didn’t know at the time how terrible my soil and city water was, but when I had simple things die like roses and annuals I figured it out. Moving from an area that anything I stuck in the ground lived, it was a rude awakening! 

I will have to look into your other unique plants. Right now I have purchased boring plants ( no palms) I don’t have to slave over…. Oh wait how did a half dozen Syagrus end up in my yard?? I bought those LAST year. Not THIS year. My previous old ones may have bit the dust, but so did the mules. Plus they love my soil and don’t mind the water. What is one to do??

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

here is my Brahea armata that is be going in the ground in a couple weeks. should be fine in my Z8B area of Mukilteo wa 

20220320_134613.jpg

20220320_134609.jpg

20220320_134602.jpg

• Like 4

@Swolte glad I could be enabler!

Mine is doing so well after another winter I think I’m going to get another. The new one would go into an all day sun location so will be interesting to compare the growth. 

Great looking palm by the way. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:18 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Its key to survival for me may have been those two big Washingtonias. It was a south facing raised mound and they sucked every bit of moisture out of that hill. I did try to start growing Purple Heart just within the last couple years, but even that had issues with it being so dry, but was just get going this year after the freeze. 

Yes, interesting thought. I hope (at least) the Juniper and loblolly will fulfil a similar function. Still figuring out what to plant in front and to the right of the BA. I 'collected' some purple heart-looking plant from a sunny, dry ,and rocky slope in Austin last year next to a road. I hope it will return after this winter so I can try that one in front of the BA.  Hmm,  I can also try a Princess Carolina Fountaingrass in front. 

On 3/21/2022 at 7:11 AM, Chester B said:

Mine is doing so well after another winter I think I’m going to get another. The new one would go into an all day sun location so will be interesting to compare the growth. 

Thank you, that video was the final push!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Whilst most of the garden has been suffering through the record-breaking heat the past Spring, the Armata has been chugging along just fine. After having been in the ground for barely 3 months, I have been counting three new fronds already. I am not sure the picture does it justice but most of the fronds have a healthy shine. 

On the other hand, most of the companion plants (the Gold lace Juniperus, Viburnum and Cestrum) have not show much movement (with the Juniper looking best). I have been adding a Pride of Barbados (seems unaffected by the heat and has actually been growing) and copper canyon daisy for some more color.

Still hoping for some rain this week!

09 Brahea.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Looks great!!..and very nice blue color. With that growth.. id say you did a good job planting it as that's no set back at all..  Several years ago I mail ordered a brahea clara... the palm died on arrival from root movement during shipping.. so youre off to a great start! I think it's so cool you live right next to a forest as well...

I get 6-7" of rain a year here.. but I had an idea imagining what I'd do with your fell trunks.. mind you.. I dont fully know your climate.. so I don't know how feasible it is.

The idea would be to place them in front of that whole area..2/3 deep lengthwise..fill in between with soil.. Id paddle drill large holes with drainage holes in the trunks and plant tons of succulents.. and in between the trunks in the topsoil I'd plant sedums...ice plants... I'm pretty sure Esceveria would do great where you are.. or something similar with blue color. Succulents are cheap.. ive seen lots offered for really reasonable prices.  Succulents die here without extra water.. but I think you'd be alright where you're at. I'd try to grow ferns somewhere in that forest too..to give it a rain forest feel.. but not sure if it's doable.. you know your climate better than I do.. just an idea to throw around..

What other palms are you planning on?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

23 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Looks great!!..and very nice blue color. With that growth.. id say you did a good job planting it as that's no set back at all..  Several years ago I mail ordered a brahea clara... the palm died on arrival from root movement during shipping.. so youre off to a great start! I think it's so cool you live right next to a forest as well...

Ack, sorry to hear that! Mine indeed seemed to need zero adjustment. I am surprised at the rate of growth myself as I always considered this species to be slow. 

Well, living next to a forest is a blessing and a curse. The positives are obvious but as for the negatives... well, deer basically determine what I can and cannot grow (so scrap 75% of what you see in your showy plant catalogue). I didn't used to mind Armadillos as much but they tend to dig where I water so its really hurting my plants during this drought. Specific to palms, you have to deal with the Ox beetle (who tends to not dwell in light-infested cities).

The idea would be to place them in front of that whole area..2/3 deep lengthwise..fill in between with soil.. Id paddle drill large holes with drainage holes in the trunks and plant tons of succulents.. and in between the trunks in the topsoil I'd plant sedums...ice plants... I'm pretty sure Esceveria would do great where you are.. or something similar with blue color. Succulents are cheap.. ive seen lots offered for really reasonable prices.  Succulents die here without extra water.. but I think you'd be alright where you're at. I'd try to grow ferns somewhere in that forest too..to give it a rain forest feel.. but not sure if it's doable.. you know your climate better than I do.. just an idea to throw around..

Interesting ideas, thanks. I currently had some climbing structure planned for my kid but I should have more than enough left for some succulent haven! Indeed, sedums, ice plants, etc... do well here with little care. We get about 40 inches per year which probably makes my yard a quasi-rainforest by comparison. 

I am actually going for that jungle feel, ultimately. I love ferns and I would like to have several thrown around. I have tried out several (and have killed over 90%). It seems the excessive heat is the big limiting factor. The ones that do stick around (note, this is an unirrigated garden) are mostly in a dry creek that typically carries some water most of the time (your typical wood and autumn ferns). I am currently eying a maiden fern called "Weekend at Boerne" [Texas] from PDN as my next victim.

However, I have no illusions to ever find the perfect, lush-looking fern that can survive harsh Central Texas conditions. I am mostly using aspidistra as my substitute for ferns in dry shady places. They are painfully slow, though.

What other palms are you planning on?

I'll try to get a wider shot of the area around the Brahea this the weekend to better show the overall (palm) plan! 

Edited by Swolte
  • Upvote 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:11 AM, Chester B said:

I've got a bunch in strap leaf that I started from seed.  Those little ones handled the record cold wet spring better than a lot of my trachycarpus.  I've got a Frankenbrahea (brandegeei X armata) just starting to push divided fronds.  It got minor spear pull but otherwise is recovering nicely.  Those have beautiful coloring.

Edited by Fallen Munk
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Fallen Munk said:

I've got a bunch in strap leaf that I started from seed.  Those little ones handled the record cold wet spring better than a lot of my trachycarpus.  I've got a Frankenbrahea (brandegeei X armata) just starting to push divided fronds.  It got minor spear pull but otherwise is recovering nicely.  Those have beautiful coloring.

Sounds good, those Frankenbrahea are pretty nice.  The spring was not kind to my armata.  It spear pulled maybe 3 weeks back, if I were a betting man I'd say its toast.  It and one princeps have not recovered from spear pull so far, all my other palms are doing well.  The mules especially look good this year, not what I would've thought.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's a wider shot. You can see from the top post in this thread how much I have bled already as I am slowly removing brush, adding paths (with Elm wood), and mulching for a bed on the left. This is a frequently used pathway as it leads to nature trials at the back (off property). 

I jotted down some numbers for the companion plants. Everything you see has been (trans)planted this year so it doesn't look like much yet this year. then again, if we keep breaking all time heat records here in CS, it may actually look like less next year...  

Here goes:
1) Calliandra x ‘Maricopa red’ (Maricopa red fairy duster) Can be seen behind the Dietes bicolor.
2) Twilight crepe myrtle 80% sure it is 'Twilight'. I am certain it is a large crepe myrtle with purple blooms. I may end up moving that one further to the back/left.
3) Verbena ‘Snow Flurry’ (Colonial white verbena)
4) Cycas Panzhihuaensis x Taitungensis
5) Aloysia Virgata (Almond Verbena). This is a great plant for this area. The white, arching flowers (resembling those of a butterlfy bush) have a very strong, sweet smell. I planted it not too far from the path so that its is easy to smell.  
6) Salvia heatwave sparkle - just stopped blooming!
7) Vigethia Mexicana (Mexican green-eyed sunflower) Not really visible in the pic as its small and hidden behind the Salvia. 
8)  Aesculus pavia var. flavescens (Hill country Texas yellow buckeye)
9) Loblolly pine. This one I dug out on a friend's property. I have 3 loblollies in that area now. 
10) Trachycarpus Wagnerianus x Nanus So here's the second palm of the area. As you can discern with a spyglass, I built a little construction above it for some more shade before the loblollies will take over (the loblolly pines grow fast so I expect to have decent overhead shade within a year or two). 
11) Aspidistra ebianensis 'Haye's Stars'  - a bit hard to see behind the trunk of a loblolly. This variety is supposed to be faster spreading and more cold tolerant. 
12) Monarda lindheimeri  Lindheimer's beebalm, white. To its left is a lantana.
13) Chimonanthus Praecox (Wintersweet) Not as visible but a tough plant that, albeit somewhat ugly (in my opinion), has some of the most fragrant and amazing WINTER flowers. This way, we'll have something to smell in summer and winter!

I am leaving a spot between 7 and 8 for another palm. I am not certain yet what to place there. I am thinking about Sabal Mexicana.

Overview IMG_1495.JPG

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@Swolte I don’t think you can go wrong with Sabal mexicana. 

• Like 2