IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NO STUPID QUESTIONS: A thread for those less experienced

jaredthesir

On 4/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, Little Tex said:

where I live there are a lot of Sabal Maxicana, Palmetto, CIDP, Filifera, Robusta, Butia just in highway medians, I dont know who did that, but It got me curious

They are probably volunteers from ornamentals planted in the area, and carried by birds (i.e., droppings) if I were to guess.  We have a lot of that on the highways around San Antonio as well.  Usually "hap-hazard" growth patterns, so probably not planned plantings by the city or county.  Although, they could be "gorilla" seed plantings by some aficionado...you never know.  According to Bob Harms of the University of Texas (who I believe passed away in 2016), a guy named Doug Goldman (which may or may not be the same Doug Goldman of Sabal x brazoriensis fame, see attached paper) relayed to Bob that he had thrown Sabal mexicana seeds all over the place in Austin during the 1990s.  Quote: "I threw seeds all over the place, along lots of creeks in "older" parts of Austin....There was a foot bridge over a tributary of Waller Creek I would cross between my apartment & campus, part of the seminary property, and last week I remembered how I would stand on that bridge in perhaps 1998 or 1999 and throw palm seeds into the shrubs to either side, both upstream and downstream."  Bob conducted a survey of Sabal mexicana palms growing along Waller Creek in Austin in 2003, and believed some of the specimens he found corresponded in approximate age to the time frame that Doug was allegedly "seeding the city" (see these online articles:  http://w3.biosci.utexas.edu/prc/DigFlora/00WallerPalmCensus.html...http://w3.biosci.utexas.edu/prc/DigFlora/Waller/NW_Waller.html).  He also alleged that there was a Washingtonia sp. that was planted (not sprouted from seed) near the 24th Street bridge.

17655-58893-1-PB.pdf

• Like 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Volunteer Washingtonia (and Sabal to a more localized extent) do pop up everywhere in Houston freeway medians but the main mass planting with Washingtonia, Butia, and formerly Livistona decora (rip) along Interstate 45 heading south of downtown was installed by TxDOT around 2000. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

My  Bismarckia is flowering for the first time. Is it male or female or too soon to tell? Should I cut them off so weevils aren’t attracted to it?

CCEBEA92-1702-42D5-B80E-2E4919DC74A5.jpeg

4A62DF4D-A0DD-4A37-9ED6-862E2613EB09.jpeg

• Like 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

12 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

My  Bismarckia is flowering for the first time. Is it male or female or too soon to tell? Should I cut them off so weevils aren’t attracted to it? ...

The rachillae look thin, so I would guess it is a male, like my tree.

I would leave the inflorescences intact and avoid any cut marks. A fresh cut on rich material like the inflorescences might attract more pests. After they flower, they hang out with the lower leaves until they turn brown and fall off. I just picked one up from my tree this morning.

And congrats on the first-flowering, it is fun on any palm. I bet you were surprised. Anyone in the neighborhood with a female tree will start soon wondering why there is now a pile of seed covering their grass.

Ryan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

South Florida

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

Volunteer Washingtonia (and Sabal to a more localized extent) do pop up everywhere in Houston freeway medians but the main mass planting with Washingtonia, Butia, and formerly Livistona decora (rip) along Interstate 45 heading south of downtown was installed by TxDOT around 2000. 

do you have a google maps location?

Lucas

1 minute ago, Little Tex said:

do you have a google maps location?

For what? The palms line the road from 59/45 interchange near downtown all the way south to League City with maximum density at the interchange with BW8. 

The Washingtonia volunteer everywhere else. Lots of Sabal and some Washingtonia near SH 99 and I-10 in the Katy Area. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

3 minutes ago, Xenon said:

For what? The palms line the road from 59/45 interchange near downtown all the way south to League City with maximum density at the interchange with BW8. 

The Washingtonia volunteer everywhere else. Lots of Sabal and some Washingtonia near SH 99 and I-10 in the Katy Area. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6051003,-95.2037041,3a,75y,301.44h,81.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa6gwyy397FGDRy1YCVbDKQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 Found it!, I cant believe they all survived!

Lucas

4 hours ago, Palmarum said:

The rachillae look thin, so I would guess it is a male, like my tree.

I would leave the inflorescences intact and avoid any cut marks. A fresh cut on rich material like the inflorescences might attract more pests. After they flower, they hang out with the lower leaves until they turn brown and fall off. I just picked one up from my tree this morning.

And congrats on the first-flowering, it is fun on any palm. I bet you were surprised. Anyone in the neighborhood with a female tree will start soon wondering why there is now a pile of seed covering their grass.

Ryan

I’m happy it is male. I’m ok to not have any more seeds to deal with than I already have from my other palms lol. I do have another that is not trunking or flowering yet that may still be female though…

A232A4C7-5681-4EA6-9F0E-E79DD029A446.jpeg

Edited by ruskinPalms
  • Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2022 at 1:40 PM, ruskinPalms said:

My  Bismarckia is flowering for the first time. Is it male or female or too soon to tell? Should I cut them off so weevils aren’t attracted to it?

CCEBEA92-1702-42D5-B80E-2E4919DC74A5.jpeg

4A62DF4D-A0DD-4A37-9ED6-862E2613EB09.jpeg

Updated pic of the flowers

724821B9-2FAC-4BC6-B204-9311A0F82EE1.thumb.jpeg.3716467b89c7ba7c49abb37319cf9bb0.jpeg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Seems like a lot of questions have gone unanswered so I just wanted to address a few.

leaf bases, liquid,male, no one knows & water- also, " left bone dry for 3 weeks in the August heatwave/drought?"

the last one was self answering.  

• 5 weeks later...

Bump 

I've been eating a lot of frozen salmon lately. Is there any benefit to giving the water from the vacuum seal bags to my palms? Obviously we're not talking much water at all. I live alone, so I might get 2oz (if that) of salmon water. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Bump 

I've been eating a lot of frozen salmon lately. Is there any benefit to giving the water from the vacuum seal bags to my palms? Obviously we're not talking much water at all. I live alone, so I might get 2oz (if that) of salmon water. 

Might need to consider the amount of salt in the fish, I'm not sure about salmon

Edited by spike
  • Upvote 1

On 6/13/2022 at 4:28 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Bump 

Try it, report back! I wouldn't use it on tiny seedlings, but otherwise.. sure.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Had this palm for a couple of weeks now, its summer here, hot every day, intense sun. Gets watered daily, was planning to leave in grow bag until winter and then re pot. Any thoughts on the burnt tipped yellowing leaves? is this normal?

20240203_140656.jpg