IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

?Fungus on seeds

Gbarce

Last august 9 put Licuala Mapu seeds in a germination box with cocopeat.  Today I took a peak and most of them had some sort of white stuff on them that I assume is fungus growth.

I hear that Licuala seeds are particularly suceptible to fungal attacks so I dusted them all in Dithine which is a broad spectrum Fungicide and replanted them in sterilized (boiled) cocpopeat.

What do you guys do when your seeds get fungus?  what have you tried that's worked and what didn't?

Who has had experience with mapu seeds in particular?

Thanks.

post-1017-1188307455_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Dear Gene  :)

to clean those seeds use mild solution of liquid bleach on it ! and sock that seeds in warm water for 3 days,if it floats the case is hopeless.if it sinks you can give it a try.and before placing the seeds kindly smell those seeds before placing it

into the baggie bag..if it smells rotten then no use.

And i request you to shift to baggie bag with just 4 seeds in each.and press out excess air from those bags before storing them for the gestation period !and putting harsh chemicals want help much.there are chances the seeds could get damaged also.you have seen my germination work visuals,i have never used any chemicals while placing

seeds in baggie bag.till this day no fungus have grown inside this bag.since i have removed excees air by pressing the baggie pouch and then closing the zipper.

i think you follow what iam saying..

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I toss them.  :(

My experience with fungal attacks in clean seeds is that the fungus may be already inside the seed and you only see the outside manifestation of what's inside. Cut one of them open and if it's dark gray then no good.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Captan or Thiram are effective seed dressings. Rovral is a good periodic drench for hypocotyl rot

Besides the above mentioned things, I've found that a rather dry medium (I prefer 100% perlite) is best for detering rot and fungus.  Usually a seed will germinate at a constant high humidity level without actually being wet at all.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Good point Matt, I think the perlite is a better option than straight peat or coir in most instances..

Very good points but I don't think that I have the heart to squish one seed just to see if its rotten.  

Anyway it seems that the growth is only on the outer skin that actually peels off a bit if you scratch it.

I think I will try mattyb's suggestion of using a non-moist medium instead of cocopeat.  I think I will use charcoaled rice husk though instead of perlite.  I saw this used in a book from thailand- I couldn't understand the captions though but the pictures illustrated the idea.

I heard that Licuala mapu seeds are really  suceptible to fungus so wish me luck.

I'll post pictures of the set up and post the progress of the seeds.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

They are like thin sliver of charcoal.  definitely not as moist and absorbent as cocopeat.  closer to perlite in terms of water absorption.

post-1017-1188399378_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

I planted the seeds "standing up" same as in the book I saw. I covered them up after this shot. the container will be sealed to keep it humid inside.

I really hope this works.

Will monitor it often.

post-1017-1188399528_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

your container does not seem to be air tight ? and there is a large air space above for the infection to breed.

and are you new to this germination work,if so you should have learnt doing with easier and less expensive seeds first to understant the climate & medium behaviour patterns.

even i tried all the exocitic varities first and all rotted.so go slow and iam of the belief that once fungus grows on the seeds its a sign that live tissue inside the seeds are gone !

but you should prove me wrong on this..even iam keeping my fingers crossed waiting for your germination results.

All the best to you on this one,

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi kris.

The other half of my seeds I sealed off air tight.

But this other half of seeds I am following the method i saw in a thai book- by a nursery that really specializes in germinating mapu seeds.  In their method they simply stuck the mapu seeds in an open pots will with charcoaled rice husk and they germinated well given that method.

We grow from both successes and failures  but fail to grow if we never even try.  Its all good my friend.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

(Gbarce @ Aug. 29 2007,11:16)

We grow from both successes and failures  but fail to grow if we never even try.  Its all good my friend.

i like it and i have heard this before from my martial arts teacher_Budokai School.

so you did remind me of him and his Zen teachings.

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif