IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Veitchia

Shon

Been looking to grow some of these.Wondering if anyone in So Cal is growing or has been to give me some feedback.

Thanks,Shon

San Marcos CA

i'm growing v.arecina. i live inland a bit & phil at j.music told me to try it becuase it seems to be the most cold hardy.it is still small but plugging away,especially with the heat & humidity we've had & the fact that last winter was so mild.you should be able to grow most other veitchia species along the coast.good luck!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

With heat and water, the speed of Veitchias will amaze you!

I think they are worth a try just about anywhere (within reason).

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Thanks for the info.I live about eight miles from the beach.No frost to speak of. I was looking at the arecina,joannis and the macdanielsii.So they sound like they are worth a try.

Shon

San Marcos CA

I've had a V. arecina growing outside for about two years now, and I've never had any problems.  The leaves spot up a little in the winter, but that's about it.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Aug. 08 2006,14:52)

I've had a V. arecina growing outside for about two years now, and I've never had any problems.  The leaves spot up a little in the winter, but that's about it.

Ill bet its gotten pretty dang big by now!  These palms have a very impressive growth rate.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Aug. 08 2006,15:20)

Ill bet its gotten pretty dang big by now!  These palms have a very impressive growth rate.

Unfortunately it's not that big.  Palms tend to grow pretty slow out here.  It went in as a 5 gallon plant just about to start showing clear trunk, and it now has about 30cm (1 foot) of clear trunk.  It's in almost full sun, so maybe it would stretch a lot more if I had it in the shade?  It's about the same speed a king palm or a Wodyetia grows out here...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Aug. 09 2006,07:37)

Unfortunately it's not that big.  Palms tend to grow pretty slow out here.  It went in as a 5 gallon plant just about to start showing clear trunk, and it now has about 30cm (1 foot) of clear trunk.  It's in almost full sun, so maybe it would stretch a lot more if I had it in the shade?  It's about the same speed a king palm or a Wodyetia grows out here...

A king palm ? which one because all Archo species have different growth rates. Tuckeri and/or Myolensis the slowest to Cunninghamiana the fastest.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Aug. 08 2006,20:01)

A king palm ? which one because all Archo species have different growth rates. Tuckeri and/or Myolensis the slowest to Cunninghamiana the fastest.

Sorry Wal, I was talking about A. cunninghamiana.  I didn't realize there was much of a speed difference among the Archontophoenix...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(elHoagie @ Aug. 08 2006,17:37)

Well, as I have posted before, I have a A. cunninghamiana, Wodyetia bifurcata, and Veitchia arecina planted right next to each other.  The Veitchia is the fastest of the three by a good margin.  The Archonto is the slowest, but is still what I would consider a pretty fast grower.  None of these palms had any trunk in Spring 2005, but even the "slow poke" Archonto has about a foot and a half now (while the Veitchia has something north of 3 ft).

This same trend seems to hold true throughout my yard with these same genus as Ive got lots of each in the ground.

Larry 

Three of our V. arecina. Bought as V. mcdanielsii in 1997 (1G size), but now of course, both mcdanielsii and montgomeryana have been lumped in with arecina. Veitchias are relatively fast growers here, adding right around 2.5-3.0 ft of trunk per year, which puts them more or less in the same league as Clinostigma samoense & ponapense and Archontophoenix.

post-22-1155149187_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(Wal @ Aug. 08 2006,20:01)

Ive got a small pupurea and Id qualify this palm as (relative to other Archontos) slow as well.

Larry