IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kicking them out!

oasis371

If you grow containerized palms in frosty areas, do you season them outside and when do they leave the comfort of their shelter? I do this in approximately three waves. Today, I kicked out the Cy, cas revolutas (Sago palms), Butia (Pindo) palms, Chamaerops, Phoenix canariensis, Washingtonia robusta, Sabal bermudana, and one of the four Queen palms (Syagrus).  These are some of my very biggest and heaviest so it was a major chore

• Like 1

Man I’ve been in and out with all my potted palms over the past week. Day temps finally look good after this last cold blast we got. The night temps are the thing that makes me nervous. Looking like steady low 50’s high 40’s at night for the next week or so. Using this as a transition hardening off time to get them out for a few hours after work and then back in for the night. I only have 3 bigger pots to go in and out, but tons of smaller potted palms and other plants. I say 50’s at night are good for most potted palms outside overnight. What do you think? 

• Like 1

"I say 50’s at night are good for most potted palms outside overnight. What do you think?"

Teddytn,  depends entirely which palms you are talking about.  As I said above, I do this in three waves.

Those palms in the first wave can tolerate light frosts and consistent chill, and won't be hurt by prolonged rain events (so, for the plants in my collection, that means most of the cycads (most of mine are Cycas revoluta), Washys, Trachycarpus (including the latisectus, wagnerianus and fortunei), Canary Island Dates,  Meds,  Chinese Fans, Lady Palms (Rhapis), Arenga (Sugar Palm), and Butia/Pindo.

Those in the second wave go out when when sustained minimums are in the 40's-50's (Queen palms, Chamaedorea, Howea, Dypsis, Fishtails,  and Foxtail.

Third wave is the time for Cocos, Hyophorbes (Spindles and Bottle palms). Minimums are in the mid to upper 50's.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, oasis371 said:

"I say 50’s at night are good for most potted palms outside overnight. What do you think?"

Teddytn,  depends entirely which palms you are talking about.  As I said above, I do this in three waves.

Those palms in the first wave can tolerate light frosts and consistent chill, and won't be hurt by prolonged rain events (so, for the plants in my collection, that means most of the cycads (most of mine are Cycas revoluta), Washys, Trachycarpus (including the latisectus, wagnerianus and fortunei), Canary Island Dates,  Meds,  Chinese Fans, Lady Palms (Rhapis), Arenga (Sugar Palm), and Butia/Pindo.

Those in the second wave go out when when sustained minimums are in the 40's-50's (Queen palms, Chamaedorea, Howea, Dypsis, Fishtails,  and Foxtail.

Third wave is the time for Cocos, Hyophorbes (Spindles and Bottle palms). Minimums are in the mid to upper 50's.

Very true very true, guilty of getting caught up in my own collection. Most all of what I have potted are sabal sp. and cold hardy yuccas, cactus and agaves. 50’s are no problem for those. Pygmy date, washie, majesty’s yeah you’re right those don’t stay out at night until at least consistent upper 50’s at night. Temps can dip outta nowhere like last night was supposed to stay in the 50’s but dropped into the 40’s. I’ve got a few big heavy clay pots, one with a med fan that I haven’t brought out at all yet because once it’s out that’s it for the season lol. Temps on the rise for you where you’re at?

Mid 70's tomorrow, I see mostly lows in the extended in the 40's, nothing too extreme. Majesty, is intermediate in chill tolerance, and I forgot to mention Adonidia, those are among my most tropical palms, those, Coconut, and Bottle palms.

Edited by oasis371

I've been trying to figure out the best time to put washies, Sabal Causrium, trachycarpus fortunei and Chamaerops humilis because the temperatures haven't been too bad after that short cold week and now it's 70s in the day and low 50s

You should be able to move the Trachys, and Med outside now.  I am not sure about that species of Sabal, but most (even the tropical ones) are surprisingly cool/cold tolerant. (The most tender Sabal I know of is S. mauritiiformis.) Now sure how you've overwintered these but if they were kept warm, and in active growth, they will be less cold/chill tolerant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oasis371 said:

You should be able to move the Trachys, and Med outside now.  I am not sure about that species of Sabal, but most (even the tropical ones) are surprisingly cool/cold tolerant. (The most tender Sabal I know of is S. mauritiiformis.) Now sure how you've overwintered these but if they were kept warm, and in active growth, they will be less cold/chill tolerant.

My trachy and cham have been outside all winter already but my smaller seedlings I'm unsure of

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Howeas I put out when night temperatures are at least 50 f.  I know they can take lower.   My Indonesian palms, Licualas, Joey palms I wait until lows are at least 60 f. Also, I hear these take lower but don’t wanna risk it—-too many years invested in them.

I don’t have a shade house; will build one someday.  So, I need to wait for large shade trees to fully leaf out before I place my palms under them.  For me it’s about mid May in New England before that happens regardless of night temps.

• Like 2

I had to bring all my subtropicals into their winter protection with the insane. record cold for early Spring. 

• Like 2

I hear ya.  Forecasting 13 degrees f.  tomorrow night which I was not happy to hear.  At this point I’m worried about my cold hardy garden shrubs that have started to bud out.  My tropicals are sidelined for awhile as far as getting kicked outta the house:( 

First plant I kick out the house is my citrus (Myer lemon).  Huge pot, has thorns that snag me when I try watering it indoors and I figure even Florida citrus groves have cold weather occasionally.

Edited by piping plovers
Added

• 1 month later...

The Howeas were kicked out of the house today. shade trees have leafed out enough to protect my potted palms.  Mid May is when most of the palms and orchids go outdoors.

C8456764-42C5-4A16-98FB-87818D18CB26.thumb.jpeg.1d669cc7d1d9aa72727c0ed722b4ac56.jpeg

2C3D276D-AE12-4529-8E95-DD94917D4499.thumb.jpeg.ef012de4151177efb1494135c3ec657a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

The Howeas were kicked out of the house today. shade trees have leafed out enough to protect my potted palms.  Mid May is when most of the palms and orchids go outdoors.

C8456764-42C5-4A16-98FB-87818D18CB26.thumb.jpeg.1d669cc7d1d9aa72727c0ed722b4ac56.jpeg

2C3D276D-AE12-4529-8E95-DD94917D4499.thumb.jpeg.ef012de4151177efb1494135c3ec657a.jpeg

I'm gonna show this pic to my Howeas to shame them.

Well, maybe not since I've killed so many. Maybe I'll show them the pic to motivate them while I play Eye Of The Tiger in the background. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

while I play Eye Of The Tiger in the background. 

Haha! Good one.  That song will do it:) these H. Forsterianas did better indoors than my H, belmoreanas.  The belmos got a lot more browning edges this winter than ever.  They wanted outdoors badly ; felt like they were giving me the stink-eye every day I put it off. Our night time temps were in the low 40s up until last week.

37 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

Haha! Good one.  That song will do it:) these H. Forsterianas did better indoors than my H, belmoreanas.  The belmos got a lot more browning edges this winter than ever.  They wanted outdoors badly ; felt like they were giving me the stink-eye every day I put it off. Our night time temps were in the low 40s up until last week.

Bruh I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I've killed 10 Howeas. Split them up, dead. Don't split them up, dead. Water them regularly, dead. Don't water them regularly, dead. Consistent lighting, dead. Inconsistent lighting, dead. Indoor grown, dead. Outdoor grown, dead. I've done everything except put mine outside in Texas full sun and I've killed 10 out of 12 I've bought and I literally check them for spear pull every morning. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, piping plovers said:

My C. Cataractarum spit out 4 new fronds to this song while my Kentias didn't move. 

This didn't actually happen but I'd be 0% surprised if it did lololol lolol 

• Like 2

Finally dragged out my biggest forsteriana. This too was giving me the stink eye to go outdoors. I planted 4 seeds in its pot to give it some future company.  One has germinated so far.   After 24 years growing this one, Not sure how long I can keep this indoors each winter as it grows.

The huge sycamore tree in our backyard provides the palms and orchids with right amount of shade and dappled sunlight during summer.  The fog and sea breeze off the bay keeps the temps knocked down in the summer, rarely hits 90 f in summer.

1966CA67-F950-444F-8B98-673CDDD30D03.thumb.jpeg.66dfb52bc6e14c06cdbeeed3f1162033.jpeg

56C5BAA6-A5F0-4CF5-9B3C-E943340F7964.thumb.jpeg.71b4701a494f3db3464e634d0d00ba78.jpeg

04275E4E-1A2E-4675-AE11-602431CCE777.thumb.jpeg.9c0ef0185ca04744591697c9da28eadd.jpeg

Edited by piping plovers
Edit
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

motivate them while I play Eye Of The Tiger in the background. 

I forgot to add…let me know if the motivational speaking and  music works on your Howeas as I need to use it on some of my anthuriums.  Can’t begin tell you how many bare root anthurium imports from equador I killed this past year, hurts my brain to even add up the $$$s. 

33 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

I forgot to add…let me know if the motivational speaking and  music works on your Howeas as I need to use it on some of my anthuriums.  Can’t begin tell you how many bare root anthurium imports from equador I killed this past year, hurts my brain to even add up the $$$s. 

I'm pretty sure one of my last 2 is done. New spear opening with brown tips. 

But my Patio Squad likes Slayer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

spear opening with brown tips. 

My H. belmoreanas had a rough winter indoors.  Leaflets browning and even tips of new fronds; rarely looked this bad.  Repotted them last year, more soil Volume and difficult to gauge when dry enough to water over the winter.  Put them outdoors yesterday; hopefully the afternoon sea breeze and fog will trick them to thinking they are on lord Howe island, AU and all will be good again.

They’re crowded under the shade; once the sycamore tree fully leafs out there will be more shade and I can give the belmos more space.

FCCEC4B5-9A24-4625-8BBD-36213B0DA43C.thumb.jpeg.21a3a0c9b76c35fe20dc812271eea596.jpeg

6D05F9DF-90C4-4E57-B9B9-58EC8695658F.thumb.jpeg.d44801c770ad6f22733896c938b5aa48.jpeg

61A6ED02-E03A-488F-B9C2-35270100CC40.thumb.jpeg.392757fdd7bd9c0a79473a451c5b644b.jpeg

1 hour ago, piping plovers said:

My H. belmoreanas had a rough winter indoors.  Leaflets browning and even tips of new fronds; rarely looked this bad.  Repotted them last year, more soil Volume and difficult to gauge when dry enough to water over the winter.  Put them outdoors yesterday; hopefully the afternoon sea breeze and fog will trick them to thinking they are on lord Howe island, AU and all will be good again.

They’re crowded under the shade; once the sycamore tree fully leafs out there will be more shade and I can give the belmos more space.

FCCEC4B5-9A24-4625-8BBD-36213B0DA43C.thumb.jpeg.21a3a0c9b76c35fe20dc812271eea596.jpeg

6D05F9DF-90C4-4E57-B9B9-58EC8695658F.thumb.jpeg.d44801c770ad6f22733896c938b5aa48.jpeg

61A6ED02-E03A-488F-B9C2-35270100CC40.thumb.jpeg.392757fdd7bd9c0a79473a451c5b644b.jpeg

From what I've read, putting mine outside wouldn't be great (I'm in SE TX) - I have been giving my survivors regular light waterings, and they do have their own personal grow light now, so we'll see. They're such gorgeous (and expensive) palms so I'd kinda like to keep them going. Home Depot has them on their app for $339.00 now in a 10" pot, which is insane. 

• Like 1