IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter Still Here

GregVirginia7

Excellent cold hardy palm...somewhat protected needle under a holly tree...

C33C1F38-26DA-4E32-8222-487342AF1267.thumb.jpeg.8038f784469efaef15896482967de47e.jpeg

Unprotected needle just as cold hardy but has suffered some segment tip damage. It’s been plastered to the ground three times this winter.
41391339-1A5F-41ED-BE31-FE6B1ACA8243.thumb.jpeg.7b407aa3fe360bd7689d806cce07cc5f.jpeg

Had an umbrella over the medi all winter and knew I was pulling it a bit early. It’s not used to this kind of direct hit. However, the pup on the left side has looked far better than the larger parent this winter...uniformly green while the parent culled several fronds and has a few more It’s going to kill. A bit concerned as it has a yellowish look but maybe it’s making room for new fronds coming out. I did fertilize all my palms Saturday...maybe a bit early but my zone’s last freeze estimate is mid April so it should be ok. AA596C86-B92B-4BBA-B611-4617989AE436.thumb.jpeg.ff6dd5ab07610ef7ad537d090e46e711.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Chamaerops are a little finicky. But so much stiffer than needle palm. My first palms were all needle, now I'm more into sabal and Chamaerops.  

Nice pictures, by the way :shaka-2:

4 hours ago, Alex Zone 5 said:

Chamaerops are a little finicky. But so much stiffer than needle palm. My first palms were all needle, now I'm more into sabal and Chamaerops.  

Nice pictures, by the way :shaka-2:

Yes...have Sabal minor and Brazoria. The minors are from seed and only a few straps each. They’ve been in-ground for two years now.  Hope they take off this year...the Brazoria had a hard start several years ago but this year but after several years of establishment, I pulled most winter protection off and it has done great. Very happy with that one here in zone 7...the Medi. had me a bit concerned because I’ve protected it year after year but in a lesser sort of way this year...a blanket of lights on the ground around the perimeter, an umbrella overhead and black landscaping cloth as a tent only when we reach the teens. I really do like the Medi frond stiffness...my Trachy gets a bit messy but it grows like a weed...just have to hope the squirrel that decided to chew holes into the underside of the petioles, where they meet the trunk, thus causing the frond to collapse, just hoping that damn squirrel became fox food or road kill. Don’t want to sound harsh. But honestly, of all the cold hardy palm problems, I never even gave that problem a thought...it completely destroyed the symmetry of the palm. The needles, though, are the staples in my zone and sure, long-term survivors...your zone must really require a lot of protection for a Chamaerops...what do you do to keep them alive?