IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

7 gallons of instant gratification

aztropic

I have been growing many palm species from seed in the Arizona desert,for the last 25 years. Knowing that it takes me 15 years of growing under my extreme conditions just to produce a nice 5 gallon Coccothrinax,it was a no brainer to just pick this one up,when a local nursery brought in 18 of these old man palms. As of today,only 9 left... ;)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220311_162222250.jpg

IMG_20220311_162246227_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220311_162333101_HDR.jpg

• Like 32
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

That’s a nice head start!  It will be interesting to see how this one grows in your environment.  Are you following any special considerations with regards to placement and planting?  Coccothrinax seem like a similar group of plants at at glance, but various types seem to want different things from us.  I’ve really become more interested in these the past year or so.   

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 2

I already have several different Coccothrinax species growing in my yard that have been in the ground over 10 years. They all seem to do well in our native alkaline soil. Not doing anything special for this one. Since I am already fully planted out,it will just have to go in front of other show stoppers like Pseudophoenix and Hyophorbe.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 4

Mesa, Arizona

5 hours ago, aztropic said:

I already have several different Coccothrinax species growing in my yard that have been in the ground over 10 years. They all seem to do well in our native alkaline soil. Not doing anything special for this one. Since I am already fully planted out,it will just have to go in front of other show stoppers like Pseudophoenix and Hyophorbe.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

You’ve got some great ones.   I really like your hybrid pics.   Wasn’t sure if you were going to treat this one differently, or give it more shelter or anything, or if you figure it might have any sort of specific needs.  

I’ve got a few Miraguamas (they grow well), a borhidiana that turned out a hybrid a think (grows fast), a little crinita (super slow) and another borhidiana mutt (super slow).  I’m slowly peppering the planting areas with them.  Such a cool and different group of palms. 

• Like 1

Some palms are worth paying up for unless you are very young, this being one of them.

• Like 3

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

It's perfect (sniff sniff) :bemused:

I'm going to find a way to get one (or three!) that are this size to San Diego darn it!

Or I can just wait for mine to grow up... 15 years you say?
Wonder how long mine would get to that size...

men.jpg

* I'm seriously considering a road trip. I assume there aren't as strict of rules for plants you DRIVE into CA, right? (that would be a major bummer to drive that far only to have it confiscated). Assuming it's not a confiscation risk, I'd be happy to pay anyone who happens to be driving to San Diego to bring me one :wub:

• Like 2

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Scott, you just acquired an instant specimen palm, circumventing many of those ‘in between ‘ years. Nice score.

I’m also diggin the color of that fence too.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

SCORE~~. I have 1 that is about 15 years old I bought as a 1 gallon.  Been in the ground that long as well.  Maybe 3' feet tall now.

Edited by el-blanco
  • Like 3

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

The old man palm.  Wunderbar!

Beautiful.  

Once it attains several feet of wooly trunk, place oversized eyeglasses on it. 

C.fallensis, B.nobilis and Coccothrinax are my favorite "fan" palms. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Jealous! :bemused: What a beauty! 

You only bought one? Two of them with a chess board in between would be awesome. B)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

They are painfully slow for the first five years and then actually grow moderately fast ( for Coccothrinax). In my hot beach climate they do better in not 100%  full sun and do well with some extra water.

• Like 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

@aztropic plenty of water for the old man! Good drainage and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I broke down and spent 250 for one also and I’m thinking about getting another one because I have a lot of room to plant palms

AD22C2D1-4872-4CB2-9572-EADA92161D3A.jpeg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, 96720 said:

I broke down and spent 250 for one also and I’m thinking about getting another one because I have a lot of room to plant palms

AD22C2D1-4872-4CB2-9572-EADA92161D3A.jpeg

:greenthumb: Kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have NEVER seen any nursery ever import any Coccothrinax species into Arizona.

I've sold a couple dozen miraguama,argentata,scoparia,and spissa that I grew from seed over the years at 3/5 gallon size,but never anything this large. Have some litoralis,moaensis,boschiana,borhidiana and macroglossa seedlings started,but will be several years yet before those are a saleable size. If they weren't so slow growing,I'm sure they would be a more popular palm here as they seem to tolerate our desert extremes very well.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Here's my new guy,planted. Already looks like it's been there for years! :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20220315_124415135_HDR.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Just pick two up from the nursery today. There’s only 5 left!

51B5B940-C5C1-4DCF-AD38-A4C56A4E4092.jpeg

Edited by xoRudy
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Glad to see more of these cocos going into local collectors gardens! This is truly a very rare palm for our area,and probably the only examples of crinita in the entire state.B)

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

• 1 month later...

Curious on others experience with this batch of Florida imports. My planted one revealed a spear infection,a couple weeks after planting... I think it's under control now due to some peroxide treatments,and has pushed about 2" of spear so far. One older frond dried up after planting and was removed,and the remaining fronds are all looking pretty beat up. Hoping it pushes at least 1 nice new frond before going to sleep for the winter. Establishing Florida imports into the desert conditions is almost always quite an effort;with many casualties along the way. :crying:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20220517_082235474_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

I know it is hard on palms when you bring them in to single digit humidity from more tropical areas, I got an order from Flouibunda and it goes straight to the greenhouse but still some of the fronds turn to potato chips not sun burn but just dehydrated!! The heart still looks good so have my fingers crossed!!

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 10:14 AM, Kim said:

Jealous! :bemused: What a beauty! 

You only bought one? Two of them with a chess board in between would be awesome. B)

Maybe with Chinese Checkers, by the trees? :rolleyes:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Old man palms are very thirsty things; if in doubt, give them a drink. (The [fill in the ethnicity] Fish will drink to that . . . en masse! )

I got a nice one and killed it by putting it in too dry a spot. :crying:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/13/2022 at 10:14 AM, Kim said:

THREE of them displayed together would also look amazing.

Wonder how they'd do in SoCal. Guess we'll just have to wait and see... :innocent:

• Like 3

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer