IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My sophomore year - road to a personal jungle

D. Morrowii

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

At least we know where the next East Coast location for a CFPACS meeting will be...

The gang is welcome of course. 

53 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I'd bet the Merritt Island soil is probably one reason the Satakentia and Carpoxylon look so awesome, and might be part of why some others struggled.  Frost killed my Hyophorbe Indica, but they did okay until then.  I was thinking about trying Loxococcus Rupicola, but bought Cyphophoenix Elegans and Nucele instead.  They could do well for you there!

Could be, the indica did great in pots but both of these had similar reactions to in ground life. I think if I would have put shade cloth over them they would have done much better. 

I do have a Cyphophoenix elegans in the ground doing well and a couple nucele in pots to replace the one I killed last year. 

1 hour ago, flplantguy said:

The satakentia looks stunning with the deep green.  I wonder if pH is the issue with the Bentinckia?  Mine is doing well so far with well water that's a little alkaline, but it's still in a pot and only been here 2 months.  It's a favorite of mine so if I have to I will grow it in a huge pot.

I want to think it could be nemetodes or something. For this last one I dug out a huge hole the size of a 30 gal pot and basically used my potting mix to fill it. The palm lasted a lot longer the second time but once it started to go bad it went very quickly. I haven't given up yet though I’ll keep trying at least a couple more times. 

• Like 1

Thinking about it more, I recall a giant Hyophorbe at Neil's place is Satellite Beach.  I think he called it a "Champagne Palm," which is a nickname for Indica.  His is a good 10 to 15 feet of trunk, so clearly they can do ok on the coast.  So, er, nevermind! :D

• Like 1

I need to check my yard for nematodes before I plant anything then, it's sand so if they were ever here they are likely everywhere now.  I need to look into nematodes and palms I know little about it.

26 minutes ago, flplantguy said:

I need to check my yard for nematodes before I plant anything then, it's sand so if they were ever here they are likely everywhere now.  I need to look into nematodes and palms I know little about it.

I don't know much about them either but I have to blame something 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A little winter update just because. 
Syagrus amara

84C5C03C-4DCB-4F4A-BF3E-1E721058CA7A.thumb.jpeg.1d2fd6bc5be0d12877b28024ebbe1980.jpeg

Areca catechu

31A45C28-9AC9-4E2B-AE3A-543729C42867.thumb.jpeg.6984b8dea9e148f92f5a74791f6978e3.jpeg

Beccariophoenix fenestralis 

A181DF5B-1154-402F-BE71-083BE2BD36B9.thumb.jpeg.af789da1113927f754eaeec2349d7fac.jpeg

• Like 6