IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring 2022 new plantings thread

Xenon

On 3/7/2022 at 11:59 AM, Chester B said:

I have three smaller ones in the ground.  During our two cold snaps this winter I covered two with frost cloth, but the smallest one I left unprotected.  Spent close to 12 hours at 24F one night, and the following day we only reached 30F so it spent 36+ hours below freezing.  No damage seen so far.

Nothing planted in the ground yet this year, but that will change within the next couple of weeks.  I have a Sabal riverside, Trithrinax acanthacoma and a Trachy nainital waiting for me to to extend one of the garden beds.  Just need to get some time off work first!

Go get 'em tiger!   Hey, I gotta come see your yard/plants soon.  :-)

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 2:06 PM, tlow said:

Well.... It didn't pass away from the frost and ice event in February... honestly it's the most banged up out of all of the sabals I have, and I have 100+ now planting a metric ton this spring.  But.. the little spear continues to push out and albeit little burned it's moving.  I think we'll be OK.  Hopefully now the second year in the ground it moves a little quicker and hardens up.  Where did everyone source theirs from?  I received mine from Steve A, and again, he said the parent this came from took 12F and shook it off, so I'm hopeful this could be a long-termer here.

Steve's a good source...has some less common Sabals, and also nice sizes for the price (shipping is spendy, but hey big plants weigh more, especially shipped in soil). 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, Xenon said:

Why bother with Beccariophoenix alfredii when you can get a majesty for 5 bucks :P. Prettier imo, grows faster and more hardy too 

PXL_20220313_204559902.thumb.jpg.265853f0180d4d516885e841680d043a.jpgPXL_20220313_204844821.thumb.jpg.ba9810595a958efbc4d69c384e20af59.jpg

very pretty plant, outa my zone though...   :-(

On 3/13/2022 at 5:21 PM, Fusca said:

I got started with some palm planting yesterday in zone 10a Rio Hondo - I'll start with a couple of transplants from SA.  First a standard mule:

IMG_20220313_190208.jpg

Livistona muelleri (recovering from winter damage):

IMG_20220313_190229.jpg

Brahea clara 'icy blue'.  I hope it survives the move:

IMG_20220313_190137.jpg

New plantings (not transplanted) Bismarckia:

IMG_20220313_190051.jpg

Carpentaria (not very cold hardy!):

IMG_20220313_190107.jpg

@NWpalms@206 I have a waggie to plant next.  :D

Great balls of fire!  All sorts of goodies!  The one I can plant here (and am looking for) is B. clara!  Where oh where did you get one?  

8 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

That's encouraging.. I may try one of these in the near future.  Any distinguishing characters that make it stand out from other Sabals?

It’s huge , like bizzy huge :mrlooney:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

Steve's a good source...has some less common Sabals, and also nice sizes for the price (shipping is spendy, but hey big plants weigh more, especially shipped in soil). 

100%.  I have a LOT of my bigger 3G+ sizes from him.  He's a great guy, honest, timely, packaged like a champ, and very very affordable.  He's one of the guys I would trust in this game.

• Like 2

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

17 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

That's encouraging.. I may try one of these in the near future.  Any distinguishing characters that make it stand out from other Sabals?

Fellow palmtalker’s 

999CD407-9C33-4FD1-99FC-7D982A846504.jpeg

64A8A933-B377-4554-95D1-4834CAE0CE89.jpeg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, RJ said:

Fellow palmtalker’s 

999CD407-9C33-4FD1-99FC-7D982A846504.jpeg

64A8A933-B377-4554-95D1-4834CAE0CE89.jpeg

I would like to see more or that one! What type of Sabal is that? Those fronds are as long as the driveway almost

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jtee said:

I would like to see more or that one! What type of Sabal is that? Those fronds are as long as the driveway almost

7 hours ago, Will said:

Wow! What is that?

Sabal causiarum 

• Like 1

New Sabal palmettos. Last weeks Sabal I planted is a Bermudana and not a Palmetto. This time they should be Palmettos :D

20220409_143149.jpg

20220409_143201.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Will said:

New Sabal palmettos. Last weeks Sabal I planted is a Bermudana and not a Palmetto. This time they should be Palmettos :D

20220409_143149.jpg

20220409_143201.jpg

Damn look at those roots!!! Look very similar to palmettos I’ve planted that size. That’s a good one there! 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 12:56 AM, MarkbVet said:

Great balls of fire!  All sorts of goodies!  The one I can plant here (and am looking for) is B. clara!  Where oh where did you get one?  

I got my 'icy blue' from Texas Cold Hardy Palms back in 2019.  It was as blue as my armata so I bought a second one for my rental property.  I think it was accidentally mowed down and didn't survive.  :angry:  This one I transplanted (2-month process) is not happy and still suffered severe shock.  All leaves dried up already but the newest spear still looks OK and is currently opening.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

4 hours ago, teddytn said:

Damn look at those roots!!! Look very similar to palmettos I’ve planted that size. That’s a good one there! 

Hopefully they gonna make it through our winters. Probably one of the first or the first palmetto planted aound here. Sabals are still pretty rare here in Austria.

Edited by Will
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I got my 'icy blue' from Texas Cold Hardy Palms back in 2019.  It was as blue as my armata so I bought a second one for my rental property.  I think it was accidentally mowed down and didn't survive.  :angry:  This one I transplanted (2-month process) is not happy and still suffered severe shock.  All leaves dried up already but the newest spear still looks OK and is currently opening.

Yes I just tried them also....  but after I ordered and paid for it, a tiny notice popped up saying clara was 'back ordered'... no clue of that prior to paying.  I had another plant (listed as available) on the order too... but no response from the nursery after I paid, I waited for weeks, no response to phone calls or emails,  eventually the site returned my later emails as 'undeliverable'... so I had to go to Paypal and get the payment refunded.   Looks like that nursery is out of business, at least for now... or they have the worst customer service ever.  

1 hour ago, MarkbVet said:

Yes I just tried them also....  but after I ordered and paid for it, a tiny notice popped up saying clara was 'back ordered'... no clue of that prior to paying.  I had another plant (listed as available) on the order too... but no response from the nursery after I paid, I waited for weeks, no response to phone calls or emails,  eventually the site returned my later emails as 'undeliverable'... so I had to go to Paypal and get the payment refunded.   Looks like that nursery is out of business, at least for now... or they have the worst customer service ever.  

Yes, unfortunate situation with them and the freeze.  They were always an excellent source of quality palms.  Got a few more palms transplanted today.

Copernicia alba

IMG_20220409_143002.jpg

Chamaerops humilis 'argentea'

IMG_20220409_142943.jpg

Livistona saribus

IMG_20220409_145843.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 5

Jon Sunder

This Big jubaea was a lot of work today alone. Do need a bit more soil to fill in, but it’s gonna be happy and grow for generations I hope! Sunshine #4 and some booster blend, will finish with some superthrive tomorrow when finished with back fill. Hard to scale but that bed is about 10’ outside diameter. Already added such character to my yard. 

E2A4C43E-9087-4F70-B3FD-23A5C9A9D787.jpeg

188238D5-8291-48BA-BA9B-A8CD005D8AC4.jpeg

9ABD77F7-D01D-42D9-A22C-2D975F2045A2.jpeg

2C2709F6-3CC9-4FB5-BAD7-2B926491E3D1.jpeg

6D77FE9B-5ED4-4502-BE5F-D9163EC9E5D0.jpeg

271B6B3D-D1FC-4E5B-B99D-D1C5874FA966.jpeg

8A0EE7C3-9F4E-4000-8048-3D0126761868.jpeg

238CBA94-AFFD-4044-9F31-BB42C85BD209.jpeg

5CA1E489-AB3E-4D4A-9393-D998C500D860.jpeg

2F493CD6-9C14-4D1B-BECB-95BCCD24E6D0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

@NWpalms@206 ok you win the award for Largest palm planted this spring lol.   Lovely!   Let us know how much it grows by summer's end... what am I saying, you'll probably have update posts every week or two hehe!

Edited by MarkbVet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fusca said:

Yes, unfortunate situation with them and the freeze.  They were always an excellent source of quality palms.  Got a few more palms transplanted today.

Copernicia alba

IMG_20220409_143002.jpg

Chamaerops humilis 'argentea'

IMG_20220409_142943.jpg

Livistona saribus

IMG_20220409_145843.jpg

Nice!  Should be pretty plants as they grow.   Variety   'argentea'  is same as var. 'cerifera' I think...  I have cerifera.   Let me know if there's a difference.  

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Mix 4... If I had a nickle for every time I've heard Banana Joe say that...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MarkbVet said:

Nice!  Should be pretty plants as they grow.   Variety   'argentea'  is same as var. 'cerifera' I think...  I have cerifera.   Let me know if there's a difference.  

Thanks - I really like the blue/silver palms if you couldn't tell!  'Argentea' is the official recognized name now but was formerly known as 'cerifera' so yeah, same palm.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

17 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Sunshine Mix 4... If I had a nickle for every time I've heard Banana Joe say that...

Didn’t know that but glad to hear it!

21 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Thanks - I really like the blue/silver palms if you couldn't tell!  'Argentea' is the official recognized name now but was formerly known as 'cerifera' so yeah, same palm.

Me too!  ... got a number of blue / bluish palms:  Brahea armata, B. clara,  Sabal uresana,  C. humilis argentea/cerifera,  Butia odorata 'blue form',  Serenoa repens 'silver',  Nannorrhops ritchiana, Trithrinax campestris.... and am looking for Brahea nuri, Brahea 'super silver',  and B. decumbens also.    Thx for clarifying re:  the C. humilis; nearly all the nurseries still use the moniker "cerifera" so only rarely have I seen the 'argentea' name used... Latin for 'silver' so makes some sense, not sure what 'cerifera' refers to.     :-)

Edited by MarkbVet

18 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

...then you'd be buying that big monster Jubaea that he has, lol.   

@MarkbVet I was talking to one of the employees at Cistus. If I remember correctly they do have Brahea decumbens that they started from seed in their propagation area. If you ask they may sell you one now instead of waiting before they make it to the general for sale area. 

4 hours ago, Chester B said:

@MarkbVet I was talking to one of the employees at Cistus. If I remember correctly they do have Brahea decumbens that they started from seed in their propagation area. If you ask they may sell you one now instead of waiting before they make it to the general for sale area. 

thanks I'll have to check what size their plants are/cost.  Junglemusic supposedly has 1 gallon and 3-5 gallon, reasonable prices.   This palm grows SLOWLY, so I want a decent sized plant to start with.  If Cistus has nice sized plants I can save shipping costs.

2 hours ago, Trustandi said:

@MarkbVet I would check https://fairviewnursery.com/plants/palms/ . It says they have some Brahea Decumbens in their inventory. @Josh-O is the owner and he is a fellow palmtalker. 

Thanks, will see what sizes he has.  Junglemusic has them too...  the real hard ones to find will be B. 'nuri'  and B. clara I think.   I can find B. decumbens and 'super silver'.

6 hours ago, MarkbVet said:

thanks I'll have to check what size their plants are/cost.  Junglemusic supposedly has 1 gallon and 3-5 gallon, reasonable prices.   This palm grows SLOWLY, so I want a decent sized plant to start with.  If Cistus has nice sized plants I can save shipping costs.

They'll be small, sounds like too small for your needs but its always worth checking.

I've bought from @Josh-O before and the palms were big and healthy.  Good prices.  Highly recommend.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

They'll be small, sounds like too small for your needs but its always worth checking.

I've bought from @Josh-O before and the palms were big and healthy.  Good prices.  Highly recommend.

Thanks, will do.  Looks like Fairview has better prices than JungleMusic on these....

2 new plantings today!

#1 is Phoenix theophrasti in the front yard. Full sun exposure and I created a raised bed full of drain rock (hard to tell in the picture, but it’s there). I’ve never tempted Phoenix before so wish me luck!
0943D5FF-17CE-4D9F-92BB-5DF5960360BE.thumb.jpeg.4bc9bb86e4383e3247803136712ca569.jpeg

#2 is a clump of 3 Chamaedorea radicalis trunking form. These are against my NE facing wall, so should benefit from some overhead protection  E23F5AA9-A7D7-4382-B03C-8D0C3A344EBA.thumb.jpeg.eace140e42816caac55bf18c8a92a816.jpeg

• Like 2

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

B/JxB/S planted today, enjoying the sun! Jubaea done, this 4-way done, Jubaea x Syagrus next. 

7052C933-E6A0-43F1-914E-0B3639B42B54.jpeg

02643EE9-56DA-4E4E-BA48-FC921D28DE7D.jpeg

A2893532-52FB-4ABC-B3B0-16FB9BC0D42B.jpeg

• Like 4

I received these this weekend from Plant Delights. I mixed the tags up so I don’t know which is which. 
2 Sabal Blackburniana, 1 sabal miamiensis and 1 sabal Tamaulipas. They are pretty small. But hopefully they grow fast. I put them in with all my little seedlings. 

796D32F3-0237-43E8-9A6D-F6D3184004C9.jpeg

3E1318AB-734B-45EC-BF8D-FA645572B6AD.jpeg

CB57258B-FF49-4B17-8799-F78C4AD4963C.jpeg

A3B7FFB9-3CED-4CA2-8C59-E758254AED88.jpeg

7A04A6C0-3B8F-4B8E-AECF-172F168D7607.jpeg

• Like 8

I built this new bed today on a hillside on my property. The soil is such a heavy clay that I have lost multiple trees on this spot over the years. So I dug into the hill in order to plant on top of the clay. Since the roots aren't in the clay at all, hopefully they will do well there. I plan on just putting a small hoop house over them in the winter, since none of them will appreciate ice or snow.

20220418_180209_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Ben OK
  • Like 6