IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Fortunei outdoors spider mites

ZPalms

My trachy has recovered from spear rot but I've noticed it has spider mites now probably from being under a screen in porch to keep dry, anyone know how to combat them? I'm scared to spray with water or anything cause I don't wanna get liquids down in the crown

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

My trachy has recovered from spear rot but I've noticed it has spider mites now probably from being under a screen in porch to keep dry, anyone know how to combat them? I'm scared to spray with water or anything cause I don't wanna get liquids down in the crown

I have never dealt with spider mites on a palm, but have dealt with them plenty on potted Plumeria rubra and Cordyline fruticosa.  I know you say that you do not want to get liquids down in the crown, but this is the way I have successfully dealt with them.  Sometimes a good, strong "hose-down" will do the trick.  For really bad infestations, I have also sprayed with a neem oil/water mixture.  Regardless, once I spray the plant down, I run a folded paper towel between where the petiole and stem connect (every one), to make sure I get all of the "webs" and stuff out.  I also dry off as much as possible with the paper towel, and let it air dry out side for a day.  This has always worked for me.  Sometimes (but rarely), I may have to repeat once more if I did not get everything the first time.  Once the spider mites are gone, the plants usually recover and start looking good again pretty quick.

• Like 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

11 minutes ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

I have never dealt with spider mites on a palm, but have dealt with them plenty on potted Plumeria rubra and Cordyline fruticosa.  I know you say that you do not want to get liquids down in the crown, but this is the way I have successfully dealt with them.  Sometimes a good, strong "hose-down" will do the trick.  For really bad infestations, I have also sprayed with a neem oil/water mixture.  Regardless, once I spray the plant down, I run a folded paper towel between where the petiole and stem connect (every one), to make sure I get all of the "webs" and stuff out.  I also dry off as much as possible with the paper towel, and let it air dry out side for a day.  This has always worked for me.  Sometimes (but rarely), I may have to repeat once more if I did not get everything the first time.  Once the spider mites are gone, the plants usually recover and start looking good again pretty quick.

Is this something I should do before sundown? So the sun doesn't burn the leaves from sitting water? I don't know if that's a dumb question since I'm drying the leaves? I do have neem oil spray that's premixed that I can use but I feel like maybe I should use a shower nozzle on the hose and lean the palm over to spray the leaves the best I can without getting it in the crown?

Edited by ZPalms

10 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Is this something I should do before sundown?

I guess the key is to let it dry out good, so that really depends on your local temps.  If you are worried about "sunburn" just let it dry out on your covered porch after you treat it.

10 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I feel like maybe I should use a shower nozzle on the hose and lean the palm over to spray the leaves the best I can without getting it in the crown?

Yeah, I would try just water first.  If it does not remove them completely, you will know that in a day or so.  If that is the case, just selectively target what you did not get with the neem oil mixture spray, and wipe off with the paper towel.  The "wiping off with the paper towel" is a key step regardless of the liquid you use, as that will physically remove much of the spider mite mess.  Not too sure what the concern is with keeping the crown completely dry though.  My outdoor planted Trachycarpus fortunei routinely get wet crowns from rainfall; its never been an issue that I have been concerned about (I am more concerned about ice in there during freeze events).  Is there a specific reason why you are concerned?

• Like 1

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

9 minutes ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

I guess the key is to let it dry out good, so that really depends on your local temps.  If you are worried about "sunburn" just let it dry out on your covered porch after you treat it.

Yeah, I would try just water first.  If it does not remove them completely, you will know that in a day or so.  If that is the case, just selectively target what you did not get with the neem oil mixture spray, and wipe off with the paper towel.  The "wiping off with the paper towel" is a key step regardless of the liquid you use, as that will physically remove much of the spider mite mess.  Not too sure what the concern is with keeping the crown completely dry though.  My outdoor planted Trachycarpus fortunei routinely get wet crowns from rainfall; its never been an issue that I have been concerned about (I am more concerned about ice in there during freeze events).  Is there a specific reason why you are concerned?

The crown of my trachy just recovered from spear rot, so I want to make sure before any type of water makes its way in from rain or whatever, I've been letting it stay completely dry and moving it before rain falls, and I'm waiting for the damaged part to grow out. Before the rot, I was fine with rain doing its thing and I'm not surprised that it has spider mites since it hasn't had any exposure to rainfall in a minute. Today there will be a high of 83F. I'll get some paper towels and try my best to spray the leaves down with water! Thank you, will keep posted! :greenthumb:

9 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

The crown of my trachy just recovered from spear rot

That makes sense.  Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

That makes sense.  Good luck!

I did terrible trying to keep the water out the crown but on the bright side the weather is in my favor today, It’s partly cloudy and windy so that should help airflow and dry it out quicker but I sprayed until I no longer could see anything so I’m gonna wait a couple hours then recheck but I think I got them, luckily it wasn’t a crazy infestation because they didn’t really get a chance to damage anything :D

Edited by ZPalms

or try fogging up a room while you are taking a shower, I have some potted cham. elegans in the bathroom and the showers keep the spider mites down. I don't know if trachies like the heat/humidity though. I also can't tell if it kills all the spider mites but it's a safer option (maybe)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spike said:

or try fogging up a room while you are taking a shower, I have some potted cham. elegans in the bathroom and the showers keep the spider mites down. I don't know if trachies like the heat/humidity though. I also can't tell if it kills all the spider mites but it's a safer option (maybe)

I've been meaning to get a humidifier for my room cause the air is ok but most of the time the humidity sits at 50% some days more and somedays less, but that extra humidity where my plants are specifically would be nice, but my trachy is outside and I hope I don't see anymore mites on my indoor plants

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I've been meaning to get a humidifier for my room cause the air is ok but most of the time the humidity sits at 50% some days more and somedays less, but that extra humidity where my plants are specifically would be nice, but my trachy is outside and I hope I don't see anymore mites on my indoor plants

i meant like 3 feet visibility humidity LOL. I think it's the condensation that kills them off. Watch out for water damage to your bathroom though. My bathroom is alright. Also, getting off the webs should help. 

Edited by spike
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, spike said:

I think it's the condensation that kills them off.

I think this is correct. Simply being in a more humid environment doesn't affect them at all, it's the water droplets physically washing them off/drowning them.

I'd use predatory mites, as I've said somewhere else. Something like a Trachy will have thousands of tiny spaces where spider mites can conceal themselves, and trying to wipe them off by hand will be virtually impossible and very time-consuming. The predators, on the other hand, fit into these spaces and know exactly where to go. They'll also visit adjoining plants and give them a free spider mite check-up for no extra effort.

• Like 1