IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

do you guys know whats wrong with my foxtail palm?

DTS

Like a month ago, the leaves startes to brown on the ends and I don't know why! Any ideas on what's happening to it?IMG_1628.thumb.JPG.b00e4ba4c283d44178ef89606fed5ef8.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3

also dont ask about the tube with the money in it lol

Based on the picture, it looks like it is next to a radiator, which would dry it out big time.  It may also have spider mites based on the coloration of leaves.

5 hours ago, DTS1 said:

Whats the tube of money :yay:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Whats the tube of money

Yeah man...he can not post a picture like that and not explain it!

6 hours ago, DTS1 said:

I am guessing it is swear jar for every time you see "browning" on a palm frond.

6 hours ago, DTS1 said:

Like a month ago, the leaves startes to brown on the ends and I don't know why!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Just cut the brown stuff off, and treat the spider mites (if there are any).  Also, looks like you might be using artificial light.  I would try to supplement with natural light from a south facing window until you can put it outside.  When you do put it outside, gradually acclimated it to full sun (i.e., deep shade, then light shade, then sun) over the course of about 2 to 3 weeks (a covered porch works good for this, starting close to the house, and then moving it closer to the edge of the covering).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

guys i just sprayed it with fungicide and i moved it away from the vent to see if that helps!

16 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

Yeah man...he can not post a picture like that and not explain it!

I am guessing it is swear jar for every time you see "browning" on a palm frond.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Just cut the brown stuff off, and treat the spider mites (if there are any).  Also, looks like you might be using artificial light.  I would try to supplement with natural light from a south facing window until you can put it outside.  When you do put it outside, gradually acclimated it to full sun (i.e., deep shade, then light shade, then sun) over the course of about 2 to 3 weeks (a covered porch works good for this, starting close to the house, and then moving it closer to the edge of the covering).

i only have 3 south facing window bc i live in a old house

1 minute ago, DTS1 said:

i only have 3 south facing window bc i live in a old house

Yeah, I feel you pain.  The area in front of the my south-facing bathroom window looks like an over crowded jungle in January and February.  Still, and unless you have a hard shade plant, more natural light usually doesn't hurt.  Even if you have to play "musical chairs" with some of your plants.

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker