IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Extra Germinated Seeds (Serenoa repens "Silver")

GoatLockerGuns

I have some extra germinated Serenoa repens "Silver" seeds to give away.  At least two seeds showing germination through the baggie (probably more to come).  These were personally sourced from a palm growing in Naples, Florida over Christmas.  I am willing to ship for free to the lower 48; just agree to give them a good home.  PM me if interested (first come, first serve).

image.thumb.jpeg.e3c1051d7f0ae97617508f62704497ee.jpeg

Google map view of parent:

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1066942,-81.7711955,3a,75y,27.91h,64.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spMC1I-lemxg-_DJu276BEw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

These are gone.

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

• 2 weeks later...

I have another batch available (from the same palm; just started germinating them later).  At least three seeds showing germination through the baggie (probably more to come).  As always, I am willing to ship for free to the lower 48; just agree to give them a good home.  PM me if interested (first come, first serve).

image.thumb.jpeg.301f4c76a7e2e9a0a177198faae83b11.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

I have another batch available (from the same palm; just started germinating them later).  At least three seeds showing germination through the baggie (probably more to come).  As always, I am willing to ship for free to the lower 48; just agree to give them a good home.  PM me if interested (first come, first serve).

image.thumb.jpeg.301f4c76a7e2e9a0a177198faae83b11.jpeg

I’m in if they’re still available :greenthumb:

The second batch is gone.

• 1 month later...

Do you have any (ungerminated) seeds left?  I just nuked a bunch of my Serenoa seedlings, the heat mat dried the bottom of the soil out and the radicles are all shriveled up... I'm done putting opaque containers on the heat mat.  Anyway if you have any seeds left I'd gladly buy them.  Guess I'm at my max DM limit for the day.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, Jesse PNW said:

Do you have any (ungerminated) seeds left?  I just nuked a bunch of my Serenoa seedlings, the heat mat dried the bottom of the soil out and the radicles are all shriveled up... I'm done putting opaque containers on the heat mat.  Anyway if you have any seeds left I'd gladly buy them.  Guess I'm at my max DM limit for the day.  

If the radicle is severed in half can the seedling still make it or will it die? Sorry jw cause I nicked a medjool root today after going through a bucket of seeds and it happened to be a crescent shaped one, probably was a female.. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, Jesse PNW said:

Do you have any (ungerminated) seeds left?

Sorry for the late response...I just saw this.  I have may have a seedling or two I can spare (2 or 3 strap leaves)...if you still need some.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:26 PM, 8BPalms said:

If the radicle is severed in half can the seedling still make it or will it die?

Probably...especially if it is a new seedling.  The good news: Medjools are easy to come by (I literally just ate one), and easy to germinate as well.

21 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

Sorry for the late response...I just saw this.  I have may have a seedling or two I can spare (2 or 3 strap leaves)...if you still need some.

No problem, I forgot to tag you so it would notify you.  So that's my fault.  If you don't have many left, don't worry about it.  I appreciate the reply though. 

• Like 1