IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jungle phoenix

Wow did you purchase the property with some of the palms on the lot? The Bismarck looks old. 

Edited by Gottagrowemall

No! When I bought the land it was desert and flat someone gave me 25 semi loads of boulders and I was not even into palms yet, I was thinking of a more formal garden but I’m sure glad I got bit with the palm bug I would never have time to take care of a formal garden but jungles are GREAT!!!

• Like 3

On 2/27/2022 at 9:39 AM, 96720 said:

Thought I might share a few pictures of my jungle!

It has the look of a nice Oasis.  As a follow up to the question on planting, when did you start planting your now largest specimens, such as the Royals, and the Bismarckia?  Did you start with smaller plants or have access to some larger ones to plant?

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Very nice! Really like what you have done but got to ask like how with water supply in Phoenix of all places? I see the irrigation lines but damn you even have a pond. Really like what you have done. 

• Like 2

Really nice job!!!  As a fellow Arizonian, I'm always interested in what other addicts are growing.  Can you share a species list of some of the less obvious specimens?

• Like 1

Water in phoenix is not cheap in summer my bill is 2000+ a month but this is my joy I don’t do anything else this is my vacation and anything else people waste money on this is my only vice!!!

list of palms I can remember!!

Bismarckia mobilizing (lots)

Acoelorraphe weightii 

Allagoptera arenaria

Allagoptera caudescens 

Beccariophoenix 

Brahma decumbens

Butia capitata

mule palms (lots)

Caryota mitis

Chamaedorea cataractarum 

common Bamboo palm

coconut queen 

Chambeyronia macrocarpa
Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera

Coccothrinax argentata 

Dypsis decaryi 

Gaussia gomez-pompao

Hyphaene thebaica 

Jubaea chilensis

Livistona nitida

Livistona mariae

Medemia argun

Nannorrhops ritchiana 

Parajubaea torallyi 

lots of phoenix species 

Pritchardia remota

Rhapis excelsa

Roystonea regia 

Sabal causiarum

Sabal minor

Syagrus botryophora

Syagrus romanzoffiana

Wodyetia bifurcata 

butia x Jubaea x queen 

I think that’s about all!!

I’m trying to answer everybody’s questions I almost always plant 5 gal. Or smaller the hybrids you usually have to get 15 gal. But now that I’m growing my own mules they are also 5 or less!!

I’m going to also include a video of walking from the top pond to the bottom pond!!

• Like 4

Wow, 2k a month for water but look at the results! Good on you as like you say, everyone spends money on a passion or another so why not palms!

• Like 2

water has become a lot more expensive in the phoenix area.  How big is the lot?  I had 0.75 acres in gilbert with 40-50 palms and it never hit even $300/month 12-15 years ago.  Watering here in sandy soils in florida is also an issue, but I get most of my water from the HOA pump 2x a week($50 month HOA fee) and seasonal rain.  I also hand water on my bill about in the dry spring with the hose but my water bill doesn't exceed $200.  Truly its a passion.  With a water bill like that, the cost of specimen palms is much less significant.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I have 21/2 acres this is basically 1/4 of it 1/4 has a citrus grove and 1/4 is under development for more jungle it also has a pond

FFC7936E-6167-4311-BCF3-BEEA6E19927F.jpeg

On 3/1/2022 at 8:44 PM, 96720 said:

6EE55248-D539-487B-B30B-B6EBFD63C49D.MOV 6EE55248-D539-487B-B30B-B6EBFD63C49D.MOV 6EE55248-D539-487B-B30B-B6EBFD63C49D.MOV 6EE55248-D539-487B-B30B-B6EBFD63C49D.MOV 6EE55248-D539-487B-B30B-B6EBFD63C49D.MOV 115.54 MB · 3 downloads 6EE55248-D539-487B-B30B-B6EBFD63C49D.MOV 115.54 MB · 3 downloads 6EE55248-D539-487B-B30B-B6EBFD63C49D.MOV Water in phoenix is not cheap in summer my bill is 2000+ a month but this is my joy I don’t do anything else this is my vacation and anything else people waste money on this is my only vice!!!

list of palms I can remember!!

Bismarckia mobilizing (lots)

Acoelorraphe weightii 

Allagoptera arenaria

Allagoptera caudescens 

Beccariophoenix 

Brahma decumbens

Butia capitata

mule palms (lots)

Caryota mitis

Chamaedorea cataractarum 

common Bamboo palm

coconut queen 

Chambeyronia macrocarpa
Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera

Coccothrinax argentata 

Dypsis decaryi 

Gaussia gomez-pompao

6EE55248-D539-487B-B30B-B6EBFD63C49D.MOV Hyphaene thebaica 

Jubaea chilensis

Livistona nitida

Livistona mariae

Medemia argun

Nannorrhops ritchiana 

Parajubaea torallyi 

lots of phoenix species 

Pritchardia remota

Rhapis excelsa

Roystonea regia 

Sabal causiarum

Sabal minor

Syagrus botryophora

Syagrus romanzoffiana

Wodyetia bifurcata 

butia x Jubaea x queen 

I think that’s about all!!

I’m trying to answer everybody’s questions I almost always plant 5 gal. Or smaller the hybrids you usually have to get 15 gal. But now that I’m growing my own mules they are also 5 or less!!

I’m going to also include a video of walking from the top pond to the bottom pond!!

3 questions concerning Jubaea chilensisLivistona mariae, and Medemia argun:

How long have you grown them?

Are they in the ground?

What exposure do they receive?

Hi 73˚, Lo 40˚

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

The Jubaea a long time full sun I actually have 3 of them all in differing amounts of sun the oldest one in full full sun the Medemia a long time in full sun very slooooow growing the marine maybe 3-4 years also full sun shade is too hard to come by and it’s saved for exotics!!!

• Like 2

Cool set up.   Where is the Pseudophoenix sargentii section?   Surely you have more love to give….  

On 3/2/2022 at 3:18 PM, 96720 said:

I have 21/2 acres this is basically 1/4 of it 1/4 has a citrus grove and 1/4 is under development for more jungle it also has a pond

FFC7936E-6167-4311-BCF3-BEEA6E19927F.jpeg

Wow 2 1/2 acres in phoenix!  Truly a labor of love, that is a lot of work in a difficult environment.  I look forward to see it all grow in in the coming years.  I think you will need a drone to capture it in 10 years.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Hey Don, that is a lovely desert garden. Great job, you should be proud of what you’ve accomplished. I see not only aesthetics, but the labor involved.

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thank you!!! It was a lot of work fortunately I had a lot of free work from some great friends including free tractor work there is no way I could ever afford this jungle if it were not for all the free stuff including tons of boulders if you have ever priced boulders you know there are thousands of dollars just in boulders!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 96720 said:

The Jubaea a long time full sun I actually have 3 of them all in differing amounts of sun the oldest one in full full sun the Medemia a long time in full sun very slooooow growing the marine maybe 3-4 years also full sun shade is too hard to come by and it’s saved for exotics!!!

Is this a Jubaeopsis?

2E58F4CD-4676-4A06-8F0A-324C937F0890.jpeg

How long is "long time" for the Medemia?

Hi 69˚, Lo 41˚

That’s a Jubaea!! The one in part shade. I have never kept time of when things were planted I was just planting for my own enjoyment I didn’t know there were other crazy people like me but it has been years and it is still so small you could walk right past it and not even see it I will post a picture tomorrow!

Thanks for posting the image of the Medemia. I started a little over 100 seeds in August of '16 from RPS. Through trial and error (lots of errors) I have 5 left. They are almost as large as yours, but are confined to pots. In another thread about this species, an Arizona resident claimed he had better luck starting the seed directly in the ground. Do you remember if the root system was healthy when you planted it? Do you recall where it came from? Do you water it only with the drip system? Do you add fertilizer?

Hi 78˚, Lo 39˚

I don’t remember the root system it was a one gallon I got from jungle music it only has a drip I don’t think it needs much more considering it’s native origin I am not one that fertilizers much.

• Like 1