IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your favorite palm species?

jaredthesir

Personally, for me it is the always impressive Canary Island Date Palm, with runners up including Nikau Palm and Trachies (due to their ability to grow in so many normally non palmy places). Of course it is hard to not mention the coconut palm in this list as well.

Being from Michigan, I want to learn about more types of palms that I have probably never seen, and I want to see some of your favorites!

As an aside I also wanted to thank this community for teaching me so much about palms, as I have a new appreciation and obsession for them, and I CANNOT WAIT to go to Fort Myers next week to see how many palms I can recognize after seeing them here. Cheers!!

canary_island_date_palm_-_gress_photo_dscn1927_3.jpg

• Like 5

Hedyscepe canterburyana

• Like 5

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I always find this topic funny.  The favored palms here are hated palms to some others.  Inevitable.  One man's treasure is...  Personally, I understand when you have a limited selection of what will grow, you take what you can get, and who cares what others think.  That being said, 90% of the palms where I live at the moment are windmills, and I won't grow another trachycarpus unless it's a princeps.  I even left a 12 foot tall windmill at an old property a few months ago, because I didn't feel like taking it with me.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

Agree with the above. Two of my favorites are Cocos and Adonidia merelli. Why? Because they’re beautiful AND I can’t grow them. 

• Like 5

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I’m a huge fan of Hedycepe Canterburyana, Chambeyronia Houailou and any of those big boy Dypsis like Prestoniana, Bejoufa or the like. 

-dale

• Like 5

My favourites are all kinds of Chamaedorea palms.  After a trip to Costa Rica I felt in love and started to collect them.

They can be kept inside during colder times and stay outside during summer and don't get too big.

Unfortunately getting seeds isn't that easy. Two days ago I purchased two new ones from RPS my only source up to now.

Have nice Sunday.

Eckhard 

• Like 3

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

:D

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Beccariophoenix Alfredii, without a doubt.  It is the closest thing to a coconut I've ever seen, and they went through 24.4F + frost in my backyard with just a little bit of burn and zero protection.  A close second is Licuala Peltata v. Sumawongii, for the funky big solid fans and excellent cold hardiness.  Small ones also took only minor damage at 24-25F, either in the open or in partial canopy.

• Like 5

It is hard enough to pick a favorite genus, let alone a favorite species...

If I did have to pick one, instinct points me towards Licuala 'Mapu', i.e. the one in my avatar photo. That palm has drawn me in ever since I first saw it. Plus, I always think it would make for a cool tattoo if done correctly. There are many, many more species in close second.

Ryan

• Like 2

South Florida

I think we all might have certain tendencies….  Some phenotypic preferences colored by uniqueness or lack of availability.  

I know it may be sacrilege, but I don’t really love Coconuts, I’m annoyed by Veichia merrillii, and I hate Ptychosperma elegans.  Mostly because these are are literally everywhere here and kind of cause problems around my lot with power lines, mess, lack up upkeep by neighbors, and they grow like weeds.   

Then again, I love Majesty Palms…. Even though they are just BB store annuals.  I like the fat bases and fluffy fronds.  And they don’t like to grown in the sandy ground here too much, so mostly unobtainable to me in their ultimate form.  
8807FBBE-781C-4795-82A9-709F4345FB94.jpeg.19f813b29c269cd9b846326d9eca01ac.jpeg

In general, I find myself drawn toward bigger trunks.  

…With flowing fronds on feather palms (like Satakentia, Neoveitchia),

F27E3736-F4B6-46D1-8533-7218DBAA9B3F.jpeg.6255ce80fce645bb480a3ae6efc7228c.jpeg

and spiky, stiff fronds on fan palms (Coccothrinax miraguama, Copernicia, Chamaerops). 

CBDBC4A3-7004-4B14-B8CE-7471AACBB3E4.thumb.jpeg.53bedabd7f6e7df1658cd322f3793b7a.jpeg

I also love the durability of Pseudophoenix Sargentii, that’s annoying slow enough to be rarish (though faster than 1/2 my stuff) but has a little bit of all of the above, and tolerates my extremes well.  

D77547A7-BA11-4A10-9928-7F3A47E4497C.jpeg.0958a078d3fa7a15cf9c0c3fb032bae5.jpeg

Then, of course, there are the big dypsis in Hawaii and others that are so fantastical, unobtainable, and magnificent that I don’t believe they are even real. 

ps-these are all lifted internet pics… sorry if I stole anyone’s.  

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Billy said:

Do I dare say my favorite is B. Alfredii over cocos nucifera? Of course I'm most attracted to plants I can't grow in this climate but B. Alfredii does a pretty good coco palm mimic in my opinion making it potentially my favorite palm. A long list of palms fight for 2nd and 3rd place, pretty much all dypsis palms, plus hedyscepe canterburyana, chambeyronia houailou, and a nicely grown howea fosteriana always looks pretty. 

Durable, fat base, wavy-wavy fronds, fuller more robust looking, small non-traumatic seeds…..  what’s not to love?  

5FF87FE7-72F6-4276-A262-F1F122793281.thumb.jpeg.b7801239f85901af32137f06b89fcc2c.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Probably my Pseudophoenix vinifera.  Planted around 2003.  I believe it's thriving on the water that leaks from our lily pond.  About 10 years ago my dog jumped in and I believe put a few holes in the liner.  About once a week we need to top it off from a hose.  Picture is from Nov. of 2020.  It produces pounds of seeds each year.

Pseudophoenix vinifera-20201005_134112.jpg

Pseudophoenix vinifera-20200901_084901.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

18 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Durable, fat base, wavy-wavy fronds, fuller more robust looking, small non-traumatic seeds…..  what’s not to love?  

5FF87FE7-72F6-4276-A262-F1F122793281.thumb.jpeg.b7801239f85901af32137f06b89fcc2c.jpeg

There's one thing not to love: their slow growth speed.

• Like 2

previously known as ego

9 minutes ago, ego said:

There's one thing not to love: their slow growth speed.

It probably depends on your climate.  This one was planted in August 2018 as a 5' tall 3 gallon palm.  The tops of the leaves are just over 15' now, so 3.5 years of growth and 10' in height.  It's not the greatest photo due to the overcast skies, but you can see the torched Dypsis Lutescens (front left) and Bottle (front right) and Caryota Mitis (behind it and ~2' taller).  The Mitis was planted in March 2019 at about 5' height too.  So as a comparison, 3 years and 12' in growth on the Mitis = 4' per year.  On the B. Alfredii it's 10' growth in 3.5 years = 2.9' per year. 

2041794814_P1090251BeccariophoenixAlfrediiMarch2022.thumb.JPG.7c5329940490b047ab0bb711c43ae4ba.JPG

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Sabal Mexicana. 

Beautiful palm.  I have 3, but now that they are seeding I got "weeds" growing all over the place.  LOL

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Yeah my grandma has a 40 footer her brother in law took it from Mexico in the 90’s he has one from the same parent, almost 50 feet tall. Hers was partially in the shade.

Lucas

Ah yes Fort Myers... it was the place where I first became a palm enthusiast, after seeing all the Roystonea regia I was hooked.  :drool:

Edited by Joe The Palm
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Probably my Pseudophoenix vinifera.  Planted around 2003.  I believe it's thriving on the water that leaks from our lily pond.  About 10 years ago my dog jumped in and I believe put a few holes in the liner.  About once a week we need to top it off from a hose.  Picture is from Nov. of 2020.  It produces pounds of seeds each year.

Pseudophoenix vinifera-20201005_134112.jpg

Pseudophoenix vinifera-20200901_084901.jpg

Holy Moly Steve! That hing is a monster!

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

6 hours ago, realarch said:

Holy Moly Steve! That hing is a monster!

Tim

Yup, visitors ask all the time, "is that a Royal".  LOL  Think it's all that pond water.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

13 hours ago, Merlyn said:

It probably depends on your climate.  This one was planted in August 2018 as a 5' tall 3 gallon palm.  The tops of the leaves are just over 15' now, so 3.5 years of growth and 10' in height.  It's not the greatest photo due to the overcast skies, but you can see the torched Dypsis Lutescens (front left) and Bottle (front right) and Caryota Mitis (behind it and ~2' taller).  The Mitis was planted in March 2019 at about 5' height too.  So as a comparison, 3 years and 12' in growth on the Mitis = 4' per year.  On the B. Alfredii it's 10' growth in 3.5 years = 2.9' per year. 

2041794814_P1090251BeccariophoenixAlfrediiMarch2022.thumb.JPG.7c5329940490b047ab0bb711c43ae4ba.JPG

A real stunner. Dare I say it may look even more beautiful than a cocos. My climate is more like the Californian one so I won't expect any fast growth. May I ask about its fertilizing regime?

previously known as ego

6 hours ago, ego said:

A real stunner. Dare I say it may look even more beautiful than a cocos. My climate is more like the Californian one so I won't expect any fast growth. May I ask about its fertilizing regime?

I fertilize everything 4x per year with 13-3-13 Lesco, so nothing unusual.  But I am in swampy Florida, and this palm is downhill from a gutter downspout.  It's not a big section of roof, but you can just see the corner of the gutter on the right side of the photo.  So it gets a lot of water with our daily summer thunderstorms. :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I fertilize everything 4x per year with 13-3-13 Lesco, so nothing unusual.  But I am in swampy Florida, and this palm is downhill from a gutter downspout.  It's not a big section of roof, but you can just see the corner of the gutter on the right side of the photo.  So it gets a lot of water with our daily summer thunderstorms. :)

Is that a liquid or a slow release fertilizer?

Sounds like a monsoon climate. No wonder. 

previously known as ego

On 2/28/2022 at 3:20 PM, Billy said:

@Looking Glass Couldn't agree more! I had said I was going to put an end to the Alfredii purchasing and switch it up but as of recently I'm thinking I may have to grab one more

I’m sure there’s plenty of people down by you to get one being in palm growers haven. They are 50 miles north of you also. :greenthumb:

-dale

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ego said:

Is that a liquid or a slow release fertilizer?

Sounds like a monsoon climate. No wonder. 

It's a timed release granular, probably about 50% fast release nitrogen.  We get about 60 inches of rain per year, mostly daily storms around 2-3pm from May to October.  So it's humid like a swamp.  I also have driplines on almost all of my palms, the bigger ones only get about 1-2 gallons per day.  It's just to make sure things don't totally dry out, but it's only supplemental.

Wow. I wouldn't mind watering mine a lot every day in the summer but I guess that cannot replace rain. 

previously known as ego

My favorites vary according to my current fancy. At the moment, I would have to say

1. Areca catechu 'Dwarf' - They do great planted in the yard here.

1691303311_ArecacatechuDwarf1-0305-13-21.thumb.JPG.31f18298ab4515a46d43ccb240c52216.JPG

2. Cocos nucifera Dwarf Red Spicata twins

1781459409_CocosnuciferaDwarfRedSpicataTwins0107-10-21.thumb.JPG.0516540f43b095528404a1b9e84f80e2.JPG

• Like 7

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Kerriodoxa elegans, a couple of photos, one with a shovel for scale and one without. Such elegant palms.

Tim

5830792C-BE49-4077-9911-6807445C3020.jpeg

9A23E1EA-07AE-407E-86C7-B5579C675713.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Right now it is licuala micholitzii (split leaf) I am having a hard time trying to find out what it will look like full grown 

C65C0A40-7F68-494C-9EC8-1D5330B57443.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 2/26/2022 at 8:52 PM, jaredthesir said:

Personally, for me it is the always impressive Canary Island Date Palm, with runners up including Nikau Palm and Trachies (due to their ability to grow in so many normally non palmy places). Of course it is hard to not mention the coconut palm in this list as well.

Being from Michigan, I want to learn about more types of palms that I have probably never seen, and I want to see some of your favorites!

As an aside I also wanted to thank this community for teaching me so much about palms, as I have a new appreciation and obsession for them, and I CANNOT WAIT to go to Fort Myers next week to see how many palms I can recognize after seeing them here. Cheers!!

canary_island_date_palm_-_gress_photo_dscn1927_3.jpg

I have found that owning a palm will potentially change how you feel about it.  After feeding and trimming for a few years I found I didn't like phoenix sylvestris(a nasty cross with dactylifers I expect).  My hands and arms were getting some nasty stabs from he needles and my face(near mis to the eyes) was punctured by a leaflet tip.  the palm needed about 30 dead leaves removed a year, and it was trunking, one day it would be overhead with these leaves falling on someone.  CIDP is  great looking palm as a landscape specimen, but I would never own one if I had to trim it when it trunked.  My favorite phoenix sp is rupicola, doesnt get too big, or grow too fast an its thorns are almost harmless.  I can count on one hand the number of times I was stuck by my rupicola triple in 11 years since planting.  I can deal with that.  But yes, a healthy CIDP is a sight to behold.  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Can't we all just stop pretending and admit that everyone's favourite is cocos nucifera? :lol:

• Like 2

previously known as ego

5 hours ago, ego said:

Can't we all just stop pretending and admit that everyone's favourite is cocos nucifera? :lol:

Way to common to be a favorite here in the islands.  EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE.   LOL

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Well. Tough to choose. 

I do enjoy walking out in the morning with coffee in hand, and stare at this D. cabadae.:rolleyes:

IMG_0587.JPG

• Like 2

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

But then, I have this to gaze at as well.

K oliformis.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

Marojejya dariani. It was amazing to see these in a couple of private gardens last year.

20210321_133104.jpg

20210320_101512.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ego said:

Nope. But I’m definitely the minority. 

-dale

• Like 1