IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Veitchia Joannis Seeds

Johnny Palmseed

I have some fresh seeds if anyone is interested. They are fairly large so I can’t send large quantities. US only please.

6B1CD81D-DD21-47EA-88A1-E013D731556B.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I'll pay for the shipping to try some =) 

T J 

No you will not. These are free with free shipping. No prime account required. :D Send me a PM with your info and I will send them out.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

These have been claimed. I might have a few more but not sure if they will finish ripening.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not. I have a few on the plant still but they’re not ripe. One person is on the waiting list. I will let you know.

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2022 at 7:41 AM, Johnny Palmseed said:

Probably not. I have a few on the plant still but they’re not ripe. One person is on the waiting list. I will let you know.

do you still have any?

Lucas

4 hours ago, Little Tex said:

do you still have any?

I think I have a few stragglers left. Send me a PM with your info.

These seeds grow so dang fast. I definitely appreciate the opportunity to try these. 100% germination =) 

Thanks again 

T J 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

20 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

These seeds grow so dang fast. I definitely appreciate the opportunity to try these. 100% germination =) 

Thanks again 

T J 

That’s great to hear! I just sent the last few I had to @Little Tex. More next year for anyone watching and wanting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

More next year for anyone watching and wanting.

I'll keep an eye out for these next year.

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

That’s great to hear! I just sent the last few I had to @Little Tex. More next year for anyone watching and wanting.

Any germination tips?

23 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

100% germination =) 

Lucas

16 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Any germination tips?

I've had good success germinating them in moist sphagnum moss in baggies with bottom heat (95°+).  No need to remove the fibers.  As seedlings they seem to do much better in humid conditions - the ones I germinated in San Antonio struggled in that climate but ones here are doing great so I'd expect similar results for you in H-town. 

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

17 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Any germination tips?

So what I did which isn't the normal way I germinate seeds. I soaked seeds in water for a couple days then dropped seeds into a covered rubber maid with my premixed dirt (Turface/pine bark/garden soil)

T J 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

Have I mentioned these things are fast B) They definitely remind me of germinating Xmas seeds 

T J 

20220616_185242.jpg

• Like 4

T J 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good! I’m glad to see the progress. Most of the time, I never know if anyone has had any success.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:34 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Have I mentioned these things are fast B) They definitely remind me of germinating Xmas seeds 

T J 

20220616_185242.jpg

Is this seriously 5 months from seed? :drool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Is this seriously 5 months from seed? :drool:

Yes sir , with in 3 weeks they were pushing there first leaf. I have noticed the bigger the seed the easier the germination. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Looking good! I’m glad to see the progress. Most of the time, I never know if anyone has had any success.

This definitely has been a success , potted all as triples ,we shall see if I can get past the 2nd leaf haha I'll post to this as long as I can keep them alive. 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

48 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Yes sir , with in 3 weeks they were pushing there first leaf. I have noticed the bigger the seed the easier the germination. 

This definitely has been a success , potted all as triples ,we shall see if I can get past the 2nd leaf haha I'll post to this as long as I can keep them alive. 

T J 

That's impressive. I wish I didn't struggle so much with seeds and sprouted seeds. I'm pretty sure the L. Chinesis @GoatLockerGunssent me are dead, I killed all the Christmas palm sprouts he sent me, and most of the C. Radicalis @DoomsDavesent me died. I think I've got 4 toothpick sized sprouts of them left out of probably 100 lol. 

lemme know if you're ever selling seedlings or interested in a trade. We can meet at an El Rey Taqueria - I've been jonesing the Three Amigos plate and some cantaloupe juice anyway. 

• Like 2

That's impressive. I wish I didn't struggle so much with seeds and sprouted seeds. I'm pretty sure the L. Chinesis @GoatLockerGunssent me are dead, I killed all the Christmas palm sprouts he sent me, and most of the C. Radicalis @DoomsDavesent me died. I think I've got 4 toothpick sized sprouts of them left out of probably 100 lol. 

lemme know if you're ever selling seedlings or interested in a trade. We can meet at an El Rey Taqueria - I've been jonesing the Three Amigos plate and some cantaloupe juice anyway. 

Well, don't give up!

Try some more! 

I used to have trouble with seeds, too. Not no more! My greenhouse is crawling with babies needing to be upshifted.

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

That's impressive. I wish I didn't struggle so much with seeds and sprouted seeds

Well i still struggle with seed germination for sure. Dypsis - Ptychosperma - Areca V and a bunch more I have killed haha I got Chamaedorea Tenella and Ernesti cooking right now that I can't get to pop =( Easiest seeds to germinate have been S.Palmetto, Adonidia, Chamberyonia , and now these. The fact you can kill C.Radicalis is pretty impressive actually =/ I neglect these in the container ranch and they just grow. If your ever down this way we can definitely figure something out. Who doesn't like Mexican food haha 

T J 

T J 

20 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Well i still struggle with seed germination for sure. Dypsis - Ptychosperma - Areca V and a bunch more I have killed haha I got Chamaedorea Tenella and Ernesti cooking right now that I can't get to pop =( Easiest seeds to germinate have been S.Palmetto, Adonidia, Chamberyonia , and now these. The fact you can kill C.Radicalis is pretty impressive actually =/ I neglect these in the container ranch and they just grow. If your ever down this way we can definitely figure something out. Who doesn't like Mexican food haha 

T J 

Keep trying!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:51 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

That's impressive. I wish I didn't struggle so much with seeds and sprouted seeds. I'm pretty sure the L. Chinesis @GoatLockerGunssent me are dead, I killed all the Christmas palm sprouts he sent me, and most of the C. Radicalis @DoomsDavesent me died. 

Just yeeted @GoatLockerGuns sprouts into the dumpster. They arrived with clean fresh roots and departed with black soggy stinky roots. I suck at things that aren't already established. Sorry homey. 

tbf most of my C. Radicalis losses were when a community pot flew away in a freak wind storm, but what survived ain't doing great. Not dead but ain't thriving. 

Just yeeted @GoatLockerGuns sprouts into the dumpster. They arrived with clean fresh roots and departed with black soggy stinky roots. I suck at things that aren't already established. Sorry homey. 

tbf most of my C. Radicalis losses were when a community pot flew away in a freak wind storm, but what survived ain't doing great. Not dead but ain't thriving. 

Try again!

Don't give up!

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Try again!

Don't give up!

Concur. 

12 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

They arrived with clean fresh roots and departed with black soggy stinky roots.

If your roots are black and stinky, then it is probably due to poor drainage.  The right soil mix is key.  You do not have to get to fancy.  A little vermiculite, perilite, LECA (they sell that IKEA by the way), anything to promote drainage will help.  Also, I would recommend investing in a soil moisture meter; they are cheap, and they will help you determine how wet your soil is (particularly deep down in the pot).

• Upvote 2

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Since I like parades,  here are some of my VJ sprouts in my work office.  Seed germination was started 3/12/2022. :D  pots are 8 inches tall for sizing.  Thanks @Johnny Palmseed1CCB3BF2-E27E-4D9C-8B89-565E350FB739.thumb.jpeg.48423f335e0c9d6e4a3c5bac188c0d4b.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

Concur. 

If your roots are black and stinky, then it is probably due to poor drainage.  The right soil mix is key.  You do not have to get to fancy.  A little vermiculite, perilite, LECA (they sell that IKEA by the way), anything to promote drainage will help.  Also, I would recommend investing in a soil moisture meter; they are cheap, and they will help you determine how wet your soil is (particularly deep down in the pot).

It actually drains well - I don't have an exact ratio, but it's a mix of garden soil, LECA, and Repti-Bark. I dunno what my problem is. I do fine with any established seedlings and anything other than a Kentias. *shrugs* 

12 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It actually drains well - I don't have an exact ratio, but it's a mix of garden soil, LECA, and Repti-Bark. I dunno what my problem is. I do fine with any established seedlings and anything other than a Kentias. *shrugs* 

I basically have the same problem whenever I move my 1 leafers to the next pot , I have a high mortality rate haha 

T J 

T J 

On 6/28/2022 at 10:19 AM, jimmyt said:

Since I like parades,  here are some of my VJ sprouts in my work office.  Seed germination was started 3/12/2022. :D  pots are 8 inches tall for sizing.  Thanks @Johnny Palmseed1CCB3BF2-E27E-4D9C-8B89-565E350FB739.thumb.jpeg.48423f335e0c9d6e4a3c5bac188c0d4b.jpeg

Looking good Jimmy Been to long between posts hope all is well. 

T J 

T J 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You @Johnny Palmseed.  I put 5 per community pot with pointy end in the middle, peatmoss/perlite mix, spray bottle water spritz each day, 80 deg. F in my germination box, exactly 4 weeks for these to sprout and 2 weeks exactly for this growth.  Still have remainder of seeds trying to sprout

625072673_VeitchiaJoannis15-28to7-13-2022.thumb.JPG.0bd2fd43cb678ecbcaf02d188f38fcd6.JPG

• Like 2

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

• 1 year later...

So I need to close this thread out. Occasionally I still receive PMs regarding these seeds. Unfortunately, due to a dispute with a neighbor (of more than 20 years) I had to remove my Veitchias. Many years ago, my wife planted them without realizing how much they would grow and stretch out being doubles and triples. Some of the leaves were now falling over the fence line and this was evidently the end of the world for these knuckleheads. Never mind that their Live Oak throws billions of leaves and catkins everywhere in my yard and they don’t offer to help clean them up. My wife was tired of the endless text messages regarding palm leaves in their yard and asked me to remove them. 

Well that sucks. I’ll bet they were some nice looking palms since most of the veitchias I see around here look healthy. 
 I worry a little about this happening here. The neighbor to my West will probably never raise an eyebrow but to my East I’m not too sure. Either way I always ask both if anything is causing heartburn. Everything is pretty small right now though. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

So I need to close this thread out. Occasionally I still receive PMs regarding these seeds. Unfortunately, due to a dispute with a neighbor (of more than 20 years) I had to remove my Veitchias. Many years ago, my wife planted them without realizing how much they would grow and stretch out being doubles and triples. Some of the leaves were now falling over the fence line and this was evidently the end of the world for these knuckleheads. Never mind that their Live Oak throws billions of leaves and catkins everywhere in my yard and they don’t offer to help clean them up. My wife was tired of the endless text messages regarding palm leaves in their yard and asked me to remove them. 

That’s awful!  Did you move them or take them down completely?  I might be tempted to let the neighbors know I now have developed an allergy to acorns!  :) 

Yeah it was very disturbing the way it played out. I removed all of them in order to get a fresh start in the bed. The project is currently on hold due to the summer temperatures but hopefully I should be ready to replant next spring.

• Like 1

Well I hope that it turns out great!  While you have it on hold, be sure to get the neighbors seal of approval!  🤣