IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

super dwarf cavendish

ZPalms

Finally got one! I had the option between Orinoco Pitu which is around 7-9 feet tall & gets very large bunches and fruit and Orinoco XL which gets 8-10 feet with the same fruit size as pitu but the only difference is Pitu has greener leaves and XL has yellowish looking leaves and I went with Pitu because I wanted greener leaves and those 2 are good size dupes to Musa Basjoo because I wanted something like the size of a Musa Basjoo B)

I asked about the flavor of the banana and they told me as qouted "They are actually more of a dual purpose banana. When they're ripe they're actually pretty good eating fresh out of hand. They have no acid and a nice light sweetness. Kind of moist and less dense then a standard orinoco.. If you're going to cook with them they make really nice whole boiled bananas with salt and butter put on them or you can slice them thin before the green fruits are fully mature and they make nice crunchy chips."

Noticed some webbing on my banana tree, Spider mites <_<

Just took the tree into the shower and rinsed in every crevice, Where do they even come from? I’m gonna do this once a week to not only water but to keep it pristine!

Nice I just bought a banana too, Ensete ventricosum It put out 2 leaves this week! I see Orinoco everywhere here, and I wanted to try something different!

• Like 2

Lucas

12 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Nice I just bought a banana too, Ensete ventricosum It put out 2 leaves this week! I see Orinoco everywhere here, and I wanted to try something different!

Oh wow! I just googled it and that’s a massive banana tree if it’s the right photos I’m looking at! 

I never see anyone here growing bananas at all so I plan to grow my Orinoco up and spread them around because I don’t think many people as myself not too long ago knew you could grow bananas in colder zones

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 6:13 PM, ZPalms said:

I've been looking for Musa Basjoo but I've been finding it difficult to find a good trusted seller, They don't even sell them at lowes during the season, I was lucky to find super dwarf in a local greenhouse nearby.

@ZPalms have you looked at the big box stores there? Our local lowes sells them for the majority of the year. 

Basjoo reliably produces fruit here yearly, but its small, green and there's nothing to it. Neat to watch and a great ornamental for a tropical landscape.

I have a Namwah planted this year that I grew from tissue culture last season. They are supposed to be quite hardy. We shall see. 

There are several hardy banana types for NC. Check out TheMillennialGardener on youtube. He is somewhere up there and has a few varieties and recently posted a video about how they did during a pretty nasty winter. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@ZPalms have you looked at the big box stores there? Our local lowes sells them for the majority of the year. 

Basjoo reliably produces fruit here yearly, but its small, green and there's nothing to it. Neat to watch and a great ornamental for a tropical landscape.

I have a Namwah planted this year that I grew from tissue culture last season. They are supposed to be quite hardy. We shall see. 

There are several hardy banana types for NC. Check out TheMillennialGardener on youtube. He is somewhere up there and has a few varieties and recently posted a video about how they did during a pretty nasty winter. 

Suprisingly enough my lowes around here doesn't sell any bananas at all, same for home depot!

I will eventually buy Musa Basjoo but for my first I wanted something that gave decent good fruit to eat if I wanted them and grew large and since orinoco was recommended having decent fruit and cold hardy then after that I'll get Basjoo for it's look specifically but I will check out that youtube channel thanks! B):greenthumb:

Everyone loves large leaves :D

I received my orinoco but is this root rot and should I treat it?

E3CB611E-68F4-46F2-AB9E-79E3DD53CAFE.jpeg

Edited by ZPalms

17 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I received my orinoco but is this root rot and should I treat it?

E3CB611E-68F4-46F2-AB9E-79E3DD53CAFE.jpeg

are they soft?

2 minutes ago, spike said:

are they soft?

Kinda mushy or bendy and soft, I’ve never seen banana roots before so idk if this is normal or not but if not I’ll clip all the bad roots and dunk in hydrogen peroxide and water mix once I’m given the ok :greenthumb:

Edited by ZPalms

3 minutes ago, spike said:

i can't tell what that means sorry

I mean I can squeeze them and they are mushy so they are soft

I’m gonna go ahead and snip the bad roots or what i think are bad roots because new white roots look to be wanting to sprout and I’ll hit it with hydrogen peroxide and everything should be good :huh:

Edited by ZPalms

38 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I mean I can squeeze them and they are mushy so they are soft

oh, yeah that sounds like rot. Hopefully the corm is fine

Roots will regenerate. I would just soak it in a small bucket or cup with some H2O2 for an hour or two, even overnight if you wanted. 

Bananas are generally pretty tough. 

I had one completely eat up with mealybugs in the roots snap right out of it after a root wash in insecticidal soap and immediately planting it in cow manure. 

haha.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Roots will regenerate. I would just soak it in a small bucket or cup with some H2O2 for an hour or two, even overnight if you wanted. 

Bananas are generally pretty tough. 

I had one completely eat up with mealybugs in the roots snap right out of it after a root wash in insecticidal soap and immediately planting it in cow manure. 

haha.

Do I mix it with water or is it ok in just H2O2

2 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Do I mix it with water or is it ok in just H2O2

Either or. Hydrogen peroxide isn't going to hurt it. 

I usually use about a cup per gallon when soaking. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Either or. Hydrogen peroxide isn't going to hurt it. 

I usually use about a cup per gallon when soaking. 

Thanks! I’m gonna do that before I sleep :)

Whats a good banana fertilizer? My dwarf cavendish banana leaves are starting to shrink and I'm guessing its from the nutrients depleting from the pot

Edited by ZPalms

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Whats a good banana fertilizer? My dwarf cavendish banana leaves are starting to shrink and I'm guessing its from the nutrients depleting from the pot

Palm or citrus fertilizer is ideal. Bananas are potassium and magnesium hogs. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

2 hours ago, Xenon said:

Palm or citrus fertilizer is ideal. Bananas are potassium and magnesium hogs. 

Oh, does palmgain work good because that's what I got

Edited by ZPalms

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Oh, does palmgain work good because that's what I got

Perfect 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 5/14/2022 at 3:09 PM, ZPalms said:

Palmgain does work quite well. 

I also use MG flowering tree and shrub feed granules (Product Link is HERE) that seems to work perfectly well. 

I do also use compost all around the base, and throw all my clippings below it (hibiscus flowers, coffee grounds, some grass, leaves etc...). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Palmgain does work quite well. 

I also use MG flowering tree and shrub feed granules (Product Link is HERE) that seems to work perfectly well. 

I do also use compost all around the base, and throw all my clippings below it (hibiscus flowers, coffee grounds, some grass, leaves etc...). 

Is things grown with miracle fertilizer safe to eat? I would love to use a product like that since i'm sure lowes probably has it on stock and palmgain is only possible for me to get online

8 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Is things grown with miracle fertilizer safe to eat? I would love to use a product like that since i'm sure lowes probably has it on stock and palmgain is only possible for me to get online

I don't see anything in the ingredients list that would suggest otherwise. You can always email MG and ask. Its derived from kelp, bone meal, feather meal, etc... some salt based fertilizers and poly coated urea. 

@Silas_Sancona what are your thoughts? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

I don't see anything in the ingredients list that would suggest otherwise. You can always email MG and ask. Its derived from kelp, bone meal, feather meal, etc... some salt based fertilizers and poly coated urea. 

@Silas_Sancona what are your thoughts? 

Me myself, if the salt based %'age is higher than the organic portion of a fertilizer, not sure i'd use it on anything i'd consume.. MG could use organic components in their stuff, but highly suspect just how much ..compared to the chemical stuff.   To be safe, stick w/ organics.. even if they'll cost a little more in the beginning.  

Again, just my thoughts..

• Like 2

Thats a good point. I suppose for edible varieties I would agree. 

I use the MG on basjoos - obviously not eating those things. 

The namwah I have I use compost, manure, and feed with seaweed, molasses, fish emulsion, plant tone, and fox farm marine cuisine etc.....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Me myself, if the salt based %'age is higher than the organic portion of a fertilizer, not sure i'd use it on anything i'd consume.. MG could use organic components in their stuff, but highly suspect just how much ..compared to the chemical stuff.   To be safe, stick w/ organics.. even if they'll cost a little more in the beginning.  

Again, just my thoughts..

4 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Thats a good point. I suppose for edible varieties I would agree. 

I use the MG on basjoos - obviously not eating those things. 

The namwah I have I use compost, manure, and feed with seaweed, molasses, fish emulsion, plant tone, and fox farm marine cuisine etc.....

I don't mind synthetic fertilizers on ornamental plants, but miracle grow specifically just doesn't sound good or healthy in produce or for soil life and I remember seeing a video or something about it that I wish I could find, but I agree with organics for things I plan to consume and I really want to try the orinoco bananas if I can get a healthy bunch of them. :D

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

Plants uptake ions whether they are ultimately derived from an "organic source" or not. All of the MG fertilizers (organic or not) are safe to use on food crops. 

Personally I don't feed bananas, but they get most of the yard trimmings. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 1 month later...

I throw a lot of food scraps around my bananas…watermelon shells and other fruit waste,  egg shells, spent coffee grounds, etc.

Biggest tip to help your bananas root and take off, remove weed competition. Banana roots are not good at competing for yard space.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Xenon said:

Got some bananas on the neglected Orinoco PXL_20220709_144246950.thumb.jpg.da52b42ba508a8d6880c57a1e614da80.jpg

Amazing! Could we see a full picture of your orinoco?

4 hours ago, D Palm said:

I throw a lot of food scraps around my bananas…watermelon shells and other fruit waste,  egg shells, spent coffee grounds, etc.

Biggest tip to help your bananas root and take off, remove weed competition. Banana roots are not good at competing for yard space.

I got lot wilds animals around here, does the food waste attract bugs and animal?

Edited by ZPalms

11 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Amazing! Could we see a full picture of your orinoco?

Remarkably hasn't crisped up after the 30 or so days above 99F since June. Other people in my area who feed and water bananas are getting much bigger, more impressive racks 

PXL_20220709_192210153.thumb.jpg.86156e57037ad5b79ca6053c35a250b0.jpg

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

16 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Remarkably hasn't crisped up after the 30 or so days above 99F since June. Other people in my area who feed and water bananas are getting much bigger, more impressive racks 

PXL_20220709_192210153.thumb.jpg.86156e57037ad5b79ca6053c35a250b0.jpg

That’s actually amazing, I was having trouble trying to visualize what my bananas would probably look like when they get better but these still look great! :D

• 1 month later...

I have ice cream bananas, grand nain, double mahoi, and super dwarf cavendish growing. I recently picked a bunch of ice cream bananas and have two more bunches growing now. 

984BA4CB-3C60-4B41-B394-DD47C2B79F78.jpeg

925C6A4A-2F35-4809-9B1A-607A7669A566.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JDawgs said:

I have ice cream bananas, grand nain, double mahoi, and super dwarf cavendish growing. I recently picked a bunch of ice cream bananas and have two more bunches growing now. 

984BA4CB-3C60-4B41-B394-DD47C2B79F78.jpeg

925C6A4A-2F35-4809-9B1A-607A7669A566.jpeg

Oh wow! what does the ice cream bananas taste like?

56 minutes ago, JDawgs said:

They’re pretty sweet compared to store bought bananas. They have a hint of vanilla. I like them. 

That sounds soo good, I would love to try blue java but it's too cold here but they look so tasty, I love banana milkshakes :yay:

Edited by ZPalms

3 hours ago, ZPalms said:

That sounds soo good, I would love to try blue java but it's too cold here but they look so tasty, I love banana milkshakes :yay:

Banana Daiquiris 🤤

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palmlover_78 said:

Banana Daiquiris 🤤

I have no idea what that is but it sounds good, I looked it up on google and it looks good! I love sweet banana drinks 😍