IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Orchid bark mulch

Erez

Hi, 

I have an indoor majesty palm I repotted a few days ago.  (picture)

I have a spare orchid bark potting medium - is it a good idea or not to use it as mulch?

The pros I thought for it were moisture retention (Israel, 35-40 degrees on many summer days), and the potting mix has 25% perlite so I thought some type of cover might help drafts from blowing them away.

Any cons or problems?

Ditto what John&Sancho say, I also mix it into the soil for increased soil aeration. I don't top off with mulch but my conditions are much wetter. 

"Yes, I use it as 1/3 part of my soil mix for my potted palms and they like it."

I remember reading decades ago about how oxygen-loving palms are at the roots, which is exactly why most (but all not all species), cannot tolerate saturated soils.  I even use more orchid bark for the cycads.

But I see the OP originally posted about Majesty Palms (Ravenea rivularis) . This is actually one of those palms that is the exception to the rule and are water lovers big time, so in a warm and ARID climate, I think mulching with bark may be useful in maintaining the soil moisture and temperature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

But I see the OP originally posted about Majesty Palms (Ravenea rivularis) . This is actually one of those palms that is the exception to the rule and are water lovers big time, so in a warm and ARID climate, I think mulching with bark may be useful in maintaining the soil moisture and temperature.

Ah yes, good point.  I remember having one of those potted outdoors and just couldn’t keep up with the watering.  

• Upvote 1

Great to hear,

The reason I was hesitant and asked here was because I've read somewhere that when bark as a top dressing decomposes, it can create fungus, diseases, and change the soil ph.

Btw, because it loves water so much I chose to pot it in a self watrering pot. In theory it should like it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick follow up

Bottom line, bad idea...  don't mulch a majesty palm.

Just 2 months in , and major fungus gnats infestation. No new plants, nothing changed in the water routine.

I removed the bark today, removed the top soil layer, and hope some drying up will stop them.

Bark decomposes when top watered, and with majesty palms being so water loving, it's not recommended to keep the 2-3 top inches dry before watering, herego - perfect evironment for fungus gnats.

I think I would extend the conclusion to all indoor palms, since they're all water loving.

• Upvote 1

Majesties don't like being indoors. Mine is much happier on the patio. But to kill the gnats, buy some Mosquito Bits and add them to your water. It'll kill the larvae but it'll take a few cycles to eliminate them. 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

"Majesties don't like being indoors. Mine is much happier on the patio. "

Somehow, I managed to overwinter mine in the basement and it's been in active growth and looks gorgeous.  It is a double no less.  Got it outside yesterday.  This is the most success I have ever had with a Majesty.

I agree, most Majesty palms end up succumbing as indoor plants. I normally do season mine outside, the problem has been in the indoor/winter season.  The only thing different I did this season was keeping it very well watered, and it was in the basement with decent lighting.  

• Upvote 2

You're both correct ofcourse.

I live in a west side flat without an outdoor.

Unfortunently I bought this plant without knowing it doesn't fit and the garden shop recommended it.

It has sentimental value, so I'm trying to keep it alive although it's not easy... was also sold with scales and other pests...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

to kill the gnats, buy some Mosquito Bits and add them to your water.

I do the same....works really good on the larvae.  Use the starch sticks for the remaining gnats until the cycle runs its course.  They do not live long, so you will not have to wait long.

• Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

I don't wanna jinx myself but I haven't seen fungus gnats in almost a year. 

I bought the wrong product - I bought mosquito dunks. I put a couple in a Ziploc bag and smashed them with my size 11's and - WEAR A MASK - added them to the top of the soil. Easy peasy.