IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Queen has been found

NWpalms@206

Finally found the Jubaea x Queen, for anyone  interested! I know I heard some people say they were looking when I originally posted about this hybrid. But there is a very limited supply found by a trusted resource. 20gal, only 10 of them, likely the last 10 and 7 still available. Hoping to help this individual fill the orders. I can PM the contact, to serious inquiries, as this is a collectors palm and priced accordingly. 

edit: this is in the PNW area (Seattle) 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Finally found the Jubaea x Queen, for anyone  interested! I know I heard some people say they were looking when I originally posted about this hybrid. But there is a very limited supply found by a trusted resource. 20gal, only 10 of them, likely the last 10 and 7 still available. Hoping to help this individual fill the orders. I can PM the contact, to serious inquiries, as this is a collectors palm and priced accordingly. 

edit: this is in the PNW area (Seattle) 

I see you beat me to the punch. I will be getting one as well, he has 5 more available and and people can PM him at +2065072700.  he is trying to get a shit ton of different palms as well 

How does someone get something that basically does not exist.

yeah I have one, but it came from Patric originally. I can’t think of many more in Texas. It would have had to come from Patric as well, if spending a lot of money, I’d want traceable paperwork.
it’s also not as hardy as other hybrids.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

25 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

yeah I have one, but it came from Patric originally. I can’t think of many more in Texas. It would have had to come from Patric as well, if spending a lot of money, I’d want traceable paperwork.

NW Palmscapes got them in San Diego from a wholesaler who didn't even realize he had the cross. I have 2 on my property and a few others got some as well 

20220119_151605.jpg

Edited by Love them palms
  • Like 1

I contacted him. Came across as a pushy salesman or a scammer. Couldn’t give me any info. Period. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

32 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

I see you beat me to the punch. I will be getting one as well, he has 5 more available and and people can PM him at +2065072700.  he is trying to get a shit ton of different palms as well 

I was there Saturday picked up a couple small things and I put my deposit down, didn’t want to miss this chance I’ve been looking for this one a while and will be my one and only... so i figured better first then last. But he may not even find a home for all 10. I’m hoping he gets them all and has another in a month or so. 2 at once is rough. But they’ll sell I’m sure 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I was there Saturday picked up a couple small things and I put my deposit down, didn’t want to miss this chance I’ve been looking for this one a while and will be my one and only... so i figured better first then last. But he may not even find a home for all 10. I’m hoping he gets them all and has another in a month or so. 2 at once is rough. But they’ll sell I’m sure 

he was helping me put some heat cables on my trees today that had spear pull .making a big list of trees to get for selling 

They are not from Patric. Doesn’t know how they came about. After looking at the 1 picture could easily be something else. I had random hybrids I pulled from nurseries before they were popular. 
Spending $890 on something site unseen and not even in his hand is risky.

I would spend 890 on another hybrid from Patric that is prettier and more cold hardier. And will replace it if it doesn’t come true.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I contacted him. Came across as a pushy salesman or a scammer. Couldn’t give me any info. Period. 

lol seriously :floor:. I know the man and he is straight up honest 

1 minute ago, Love them palms said:

lol seriously :floor:. I know the man and he is straight up honest 

He is honestly selling a palm he doesn’t know if it’s legit. 

13 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

They are not from Patric. Doesn’t know how they came about. After looking at the 1 picture could easily be something else. I had random hybrids I pulled from nurseries before they were popular. 
Spending $890 on something site unseen and not even in his hand is risky.

I would spend 890 on another hybrid from Patric that is prettier and more cold hardier. And will replace it if it doesn’t come true.

Dude that is Jubaea x Queen. the guy knows his shit. sorry you think differently.  Patrick is not the only one selling them 

42 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

Patrick is not the only one selling them 

He may not be the only one selling them , but he is the only one making them. 

T J 

• Like 3

T J 

He has a solid reputation with all the other palm dealers and nurseries I’ve been to in the PNW. I trust him with my money. And the palm is obviously a Jubaea hybrid and doesn’t look butia to me, but I think he is passing along the little info he has. I asked to find out as much as possible about their original source. I left the conversation with the understanding that they may or may not be Patrick just can’t be confirmed. I don’t think he’s lying to me or the other Customers he supplied 2 yrs ago with these. I believe that Patrick may be the only one making these and a batch landed at this San Diego nursery. Or someone else has more privately done the cross. And PalmsNorthwest sells 15g jubaea for 925 up here. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

He has a solid reputation with all the other palm dealers and nurseries I’ve been to in the PNW. I trust him with my money. And the palm is obviously a Jubaea hybrid and doesn’t look butia to me, but I think he is passing along the little info he has. I asked to find out as much as possible about their original source. I left the conversation with the understanding that they may or may not be Patrick just can’t be confirmed. I don’t think he’s lying to me or the other Customers he supplied 2 yrs ago with these. I believe that Patrick may be the only one making these and a batch landed at this San Diego nursery. Or someone else has more privately done the cross. And PalmsNorthwest sells 15g jubaea for 925 up here. 

oh I know he is honest and a good friend and people should not question his knowledge when it comes to palms and exotics. he can school a majority people on this site. when he says it's Jubaea x Queen I am gonna take his word. 

13 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

oh I know he is honest and a good friend and people should not question his knowledge when it comes to palms and exotics. he can school a majority people on this site. when he says it's Jubaea x Queen I am gonna take his word. 

No question here or I wouldn’t have left my money, I have faith ;). I’ve seen his work. I know you guys are buddies, good guy to know! But No, just meant that in response to him being a “scammer”.  I dont think that’s quite a fair assumption. I guess I’ll make my own judgement when I have my palm. No worries though I didn’t start the post to bash anyone or even advertise for him that’s why I didn’t say the name or price. Just putting the word out. 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

No question here or I wouldn’t have left my money, I have faith ;). I’ve seen his work. I know you guys are buddies, good guy to know! But No, just meant that in response to him being a “scammer”.  I dont think that’s quite a fair assumption. I guess I’ll make my own judgement when I have my palm. No worries though I didn’t start the post to bash anyone or even advertise for him that’s why I didn’t say the price. Just putting the word out. 

you were doing the right thing by helping NW Palmscapes and exotics get word out about the JubaeaxQueens, not your fault that there were people who refuse to believe they are real.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love them palms said:

you were doing the right thing by helping NW Palmscapes and exotics get word out about the JubaeaxQueens, not your fault that there were people who refuse to believe they are real.

All good, he sent me a thanks message after, for supporting his small business. Oh and gave me these 2 kind of runted Rich’s F3 super mules for 30$ (Think they Just needed a good flush, had salt crust at the drain holes) and just gave me a Phoenix Theophrasti for free that survived outside through cold blast. Then on the way home he messaged that the 450$ f3 x schizo 15gal,  he’d do 200. And 450 was a price he’d said months ago. So it wasn’t like hey this should be 450 but it’s only 200 type deal. So I charged that and will pick up tomorrow lol. 200 for 15 gal schizo super mule is a good deal. He’ll get me a  big jubaea too he said, and was at a good price. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

I hope he can find Brahea Claras for me. 

I know he had a wholesale list he was looking at that had alot of Brahea on it

• Like 1

Couple of them, They Look pretty good to me. And have a Look as what they’re advertised as. I am pretty excited for pickup day. 

2920FEA6-792C-4F83-B085-6F13007B335E.png

D2383D4E-C44A-4B21-A236-D06373724F92.png

• Like 1

I don’t recall my Jxs having a twist to it … that looks like it has a little butia in it to me. What do I know :crying:

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Couple of them, They Look pretty good to me. And have a Look as what they’re advertised as. I am pretty excited for pickup day. 

2920FEA6-792C-4F83-B085-6F13007B335E.png

D2383D4E-C44A-4B21-A236-D06373724F92.png

they look nice :yay:.saw the pics as well. can't wait for. I've as well 

1 hour ago, RJ said:

I don’t recall my Jxs having a twist to it … that looks like it has a little butia in it to me. What do I know :crying:

Don’t jubaea usually some (not all) have the twist? And butia more the V and arching fronds? This jubaea x syagrus from another post looks pretty similar, fronds and trunk. 

123E1B53-6F32-44D8-B08D-F16579264459.png

Edited by NWpalms@206

Another one of the batch that has no twist. Like always they’ll all be a little different. 

8849425C-1952-46E0-9E56-887993FB7DAD.png

3 hours ago, RJ said:

I’d have to look at mine again.. I’m certainly not trying to discourage this thread :greenthumb:

No worries, this is all in good fun. I love the palms but it’s a hobby and meant to be enjoyed and I try to stay pretty positive about it. Not all opinions will match and that’s ok. 

• Like 3

On 2/20/2022 at 6:56 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Mine finally perished in 2018.  The F1s are variable. Mine grew slowly.  Never really impressed.  Again, I've moved away from acquiring queen derived hybrids. The Lyto and Para mixes have performed better for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

53 minutes ago, buffy said:

Mine finally perished in 2018.  The F1s are variable. Mine grew slowly.  Never really impressed.  Again, I've moved away from acquiring queen derived hybrids. The Lyto and Para mixes have performed better for whatever reason. 

I wonder if Jubaea x Lyto is possible or ever attempted...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buffy said:

Did you purchase a bxL.hoeh?

Edited by RJ

I have a B. x Lyto. wedd. from Patric. It's done real well. Lots of pinnae compared to the other hybrids. I have a B. x Para. coc. and a B. x Para. tor.  right next to each. They're obviously F1s, but the Para. tor. is night and day tougher to the cold, even though its a lot younger. I also have one of the underwhelming B. x Polyand. It's dwarf and very Butia. Slow.  But my curiousity let's it continue.  Queen blood needs too much attention. I currently have 5 or so different queen-blooded hybrids. The less finicky of those are the 'Mountain Giant' Syagrus hybrids with B. para and B. erio. I purchased seed from Nigel a long time ago for those. I may cut down my Yatay Queen this year. The 10 foot trunk is so terribly damaged from murderous cold and bug infestation. I have no idea how it stands. 

• Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

2 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I wonder if Jubaea x Lyto is possible or ever attempted...

I hope Patric tries this hybrid even tho it really doesn't make sense to . We all love Jubaea for its sheer size and hardiness mixing with Lyto Wedd would kinda defeat the purpose possibly. I would still try it , my BxLytoWedd is my fav mule so far. My BxPJT is my fav Patric hybrid only because I don't have a JxS yet. Hoping yall end up with the real thing cause at that price would be tough to swallow for an imposter. 

T J 

T J 

My JxQ was starting to take off, then I dug it up before the Texas Winter Storm and set it back. It's not much to look at right now. I have another small one that hasn't grown much. 

These look more like JxB or Butia yatay x J to me, but there's a lot of variability.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:48 PM, Love them palms said:

Dude that is Jubaea x Queen. the guknows his shit. sorry you think differently

Can someone attach links to the threads on these to show what they look like. Aka The Meteorologist Guy From former Mongtomery County?
The search option gives me a headache.

Id like to compare mine as well.

I can finally plant mine in about two weeks or just keep it in a big pot. I’d hate my soil to kill it but never had any issues with Syagrus.

Edited by Collectorpalms

2 hours ago, necturus said:

These look more like JxB or Butia yatay x J to me, but there's a lot of variability.

I was thinking the same thing to myself. They look very squat to me but growing conditions could factor into that…. 

I dunno…. Known jxs below 

image.jpeg.928afbbb526abc4223c5b8ebd4c8a5dc.jpeg

palm in question… :crying:

image.thumb.png.b081d5ae947a60bf5da48894589e77d2.png

Edited by RJ