IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Whip Out the [big enuf] Ten-Inch

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

A good friend of mine came out from Florida to stay at my dive a while.  I asked if he'd help me with some of the chores around the place in lieu of rent, and he said, "No problem."

One day, I mentioned that I wanted to remove the Washie, pic'd below, to move my driveway.

DSCF0007~1.JPG

He said, "Oh, yeah, elementary.  No biggie.  Just a rope, a ladder and a chain saw's all we'll need."

So, on Sat morn, August 5, I took my 10" (25 cm) pole saw and cut off as much of the skirt of dead leaves as I could.

We tried to rent a big chain saw (20", 50 cm) but the place refused to rent it to us when they learned we were going to use it on a palm tree.

"Let's try the little one."

So, we rented a big ladder, and cut off most of the rest of the dead leaves.  

Then, we tied a 100' (33.333 m) length of rope around the crown.  (Took a while, the rope kept catching on the spines in the petioles.)

Then, my guest climbed about 10 feet (3.3333 m) down from the crown, and cut a notch in the wood.  He told me to hold onto the rope, just a little taut.

After he made the cut, he climbed off the ladder, grabbed the other free end of the rope . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

. . . . So, while our neighbor shook his head and rolled his eyes, we tugged on the rope, the crown rocked, then

CRASH!size, font color>

The crown fell to earth, a perfect, three-point landing, missed everything we hoped it would, including wires, a clothes hanger, and a lemon tree (and us).

I asked my friend to climb back up the ladder to strike a gloating pose, and he did.

DSCF0008~1.JPG

banzai!

It's not as though I'm completely unfamiliar with lumberjacking.  I've massacred a number of dicot trees, but, well, an old dawg learned a new trick . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(palmsrgreat @ Aug. 07 2006,23:59)

What about a pic of the outcome?  :laugh:

Oooh!

You're a pushy one!

:P

(palmsrgreat @ Aug. 08 2006,00:13)

hahhaha, your friend looks quite proud.

And, justly.

I played querilous yenta all through the proceedings.

I'm scared to climb on ladders with chain saws, but he isn't.

Oh, now the fun'll really begin.  Time to hack out that asphalt driveway. . . . .

dave

Interesting Dave. I believe this post might live as long in infamy as Jana's Queen (just joking, Jana- I thought that post was cathartic for you) did on the other board.  :D  :laugh:

So, what are you going to plant in its place???

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 08 2006,00:18)

Zac

My driveway, once we remove the stump, probably hack that out with a hoe and a maddock or axe.

dave

So are you just removing the driveway all together, or replacing it?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Aug. 08 2006,00:29)

So are you just removing the driveway all together, or replacing it?

Taking out a three-foot (1 m) wide strip, next to the wall on the right, to expose the soil to the elements, and plant some plants that'll hide that ugly wall.

And, moving it over three feet, to make up the difference so vee-hickles can get in there.

dave

(Dave from So-Cal @ Aug. 08 2006,00:28)

(Zac in NC @ Aug. 08 2006,00:18)

Zac

My driveway, once we remove the stump, probably hack that out with a hoe and a maddock or axe.

dave

Booooooooooor-inggggggggggggg. JK, That sounds like a plan. Gotta have a place to park the cars.

Zac

Zac  

dear dave  :)

that was a neat work.

In India we cut coconut trees in similar fashion but every 5 to 6 feet trunk is cut and brought down gradually. and chopping or cutting of the trunk is done using knives crafted from high tensil steel taken out from the leaf springs of heavy trucks.

we do not have accesses to powered chain saw.but the guys who cut the trees charge about 13 to 14 dallors to fell each trees. but they are pros,no mistakes whatsoever anytime.

they bring thick binding ropes which are tied around the palms that even after cutting they dandle with the bottom portion of the trunk.then they release the load rope,only them the big mama gradually comes to the ground without even a thud.

one has to see this to admire their work  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Zac!?!?

Park the cars?

What's a lawn for . . . ?

dave

(Dave from So-Cal @ Aug. 08 2006,02:53)

Zac!?!?

Park the cars?

dave

Oh I know, the drive is for setting your potted palm collection, so the roots stay in the containers and not into the soil. I get it now. Everything is clear.

Zac

Zac  

Dave,

It sounds like your neck might be the same color as a Cyrtostachys renda? That's funny about parking the cars in the lawn..........................................that was a joke, right?

???

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

(Randy @ Aug. 11 2006,20:25)

Dave,

It sounds like your neck might be the same color as a Cyrtostachys renda? That's funny about parking the cars in the lawn..........................................that was a joke, right?

???

My neck is the same color as C. renda, which is the same color as my red shoes . . . .

Well, there was a long-departed time in my life when I parked my car on the lawn, but that's a long time ago.

dave

(amazon exotics @ Aug. 11 2006,17:15)

Better hire or rent a stump grinder. Those are not easy roots to axe through. Couldn't you notch the bottom of the palm and drop it in one piece? Ladder work can be very dangerous or even deadly. Hate doing it!

I don't think the roots will be that tough, once they start to rot.

The reason I didn't want to drop it in one piece is because of the stuff nearby.  In particular, I was afraid of it falling on, and wrecking, the nearly block wall, or flattening my clothes hanger or lemon tree.

dave

Zac!?!?

Park the cars?

dave

Dave your question reminds me of what I see on my drive to work everyday. Except here most of the cars parked in yards are missing wheels and they generally have different colored quarter panels, doors or fenders.

Jake

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Dave, I have cut down and stumped many of these trees. The roots will take quite awhile to rot. For the $50-100 somebody would charge to stump it, it will save alot of backache and give your " renda neck "  a chance to heal.  Can't plant a palm for RLR if ya got a hurtin back.

(JakeK @ Aug. 15 2006,07:52)

Zac!?!?

Park the cars?

dave

Dave your question reminds me of what I see on my drive to work everyday. Except here most of the cars parked in yards are missing wheels and they generally have different colored quarter panels, doors or fenders.

Jake

Hmm.

Kinda reminds me of parts of Akron and Massillon, up north.

dave

Parking the cars on the lawn would provide a bit of shade for freshly planted seedlings and the exhaust for heat in winter. Then when they grow up just move the cars for  much needed shade elsewhere. Like you guys don't do some crazy thing to protect the little guys.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

(tikitiki @ Aug. 15 2006,15:54)

Parking the cars on the lawn would provide a bit of shade for freshly planted seedlings and the exhaust for heat in winter. Then when they grow up just move the cars for  much needed shade elsewhere. Like you guys don't do some crazy thing to protect the little guys.

There's not a lot we won't do, that's for sure.

Like slaving out in the hot sun, pulling weeds, courting Queen Melanoma . . . .

dave