IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Furthest North Surviving Texas Queen?(9a)

Little Tex

Found This palm survived unprotected in Southern Humble Texas

There was 2 queens one died, and dead washingtonia next to it which makes it remarkable this one survived.

Northqueen.jpg

• Like 5

Lucas

This is a selfie with the top of mine in Huntsville TX. But, full disclosure, it's in a pot and it was brought inside last winter. So this absolutely doesn't count. I'm just proud of how much it grew last year. 

20220107_213644.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Little Tex said:

There was 2 queens one died, and dead washingtonia next to it which makes it remarkable this one survived.

Northqueen.jpg

that's pretty cool, do you mean the early 2021 freeze?

Are you sure that queen wasn't protected?

Here is an unprotected survivor a stone's throw north of I-10, just east of Katy:

PXL_20220110_180722414.thumb.jpg.d39633ed38d48acc138755bfdf209152.jpg

But in all fairness, I've been looking real hard for surviving queens in the Houston Area... it's like looking for unicorns. Even the innermost heat island and the NASA/Bay Area was wiped clean with many of the initial survivors dying in the past few months. I have not been to Texas City or Galveston recently. 

• Like 5

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

5 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Northqueen.jpg

Southern Humble, aka that would be near the IAH airport that reported 13F. I suppose it is possible. I had a couple survive 14/15 in 2018. One very near the house which was a seedling of the 1980s ( which I have 2nd generation seedlings now) the other was just a walmart special that always did bad but came back....then the following 2019 a frost at 27F killed it. The other lived till the Big 2021 freeze.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 4

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

2 hours ago, Xenon said:

Here is an unprotected survivor a stone's throw north of I-10, just east of Katy:PXL_20220110_180722414.thumb.jpg.d39633ed38d48acc138755bfdf209152.jpg

But in all fairness, I've been looking real hard for surviving queens in the Houston Area... it's like looking for unicorns. Even the innermost heat island and the NASA/Bay Area was wiped clean with many of the initial survivors dying in the past few months. I have not been to Texas City or Galveston recently. 

I have a trip to Houston/Moody Gardens and meet with the person in charge of Landscaping. She said they lost 1000s of palms and such. I saw pictures, I am not sure if any queens pulled though, though If they did they are right near where the Royals were.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 3

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

3 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I am not sure if any queens pulled though, though If they did they are right near where the Royals were.

Did the royals die?

Lucas

3 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Did the royals die?

Oh the royals are very very dead. 

FWIW, I saw many queens pushing green on Tiki Island and the west end of Galveston but that was in May. Not sure how many ultimately pulled through. It only briefly dipped to 19F on the west end of Galveston where Moody is while the east end probably saw 17-18F. There are some robust Bismarckia survivors on the island so I'm fairly confident there are at least a few queens. 

Photo by Barry Landry

FB_IMG_1645203454595.thumb.jpg.c5997c2ca1a6f3d59181d88af1d5821b.jpg

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

• 1 year later...

Good news, Ill get a pic later, but after this december freeze its FINALLY pushing green after being defoliated!, I also found two more survivors in the heights that immediatley pushed green (protected).

• Like 2

Lucas

• 11 months later...
On 2/18/2022 at 12:29 AM, Xenon said:

Here is an unprotected survivor a stone's throw north of I-10, just east of Katy:

PXL_20220110_180722414.thumb.jpg.d39633ed38d48acc138755bfdf209152.jpg

What is the status of this Queen?

4 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

What is the status of this Queen?

Dead after the freeze in December 2022 (15F) 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)