IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

USDA Hardiness Zone Map for Kurdistan?

Muslim Gardener

I was out driving by Mediterranean sea yesterday and I saw the beautiful palms and wondered what kind of zone I am in? I saw blue hesper palms and Washingtonia. 

12 minutes ago, Muslim Gardener said:

I was out driving by Mediterranean sea yesterday and I saw the beautiful palms and wondered what kind of zone I am in? I saw blue hesper palms and Washingtonia. 

Where exactly were you? Here's a map for the Middle East.

middle-east-plant-hardiness-zones-map (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am guessing you are referring to the coast of Turkey or Syria, in which case it would mostly be 10a or even 10b in the more sheltered spots. You can probably grow more exotic and less hardy stuff than Washingtonia and Brahea Armata. You may be able to grow Becarriophoenix Alfredii there, although it may also get knocked out every 25 years during Siberian blasts. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

19 minutes ago, Teegurr said:

Where exactly were you? Here's a map for the Middle East.

middle-east-plant-hardiness-zones-map (1).jpg

I am in zone 10 it says. The beige before the light red that is 11. Western Kurdistan.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

I am guessing you are referring to the coast of Turkey or Syria, in which case it would mostly be 10a or even 10b in the more sheltered spots. You can probably grow more exotic and less hardy stuff than Washingtonia and Brahea Armata. You may be able to grow Becarriophoenix Alfredii there, although it may also get knocked out every 25 years during Siberian blasts. 

Thank you so much for this information. I will have to try some of those palms. I have met many friendly folks from the UK and they are almost always nice. Take care.

• Like 2

Here's a more detailed snapshot from Plant Maps. Light pink is 10A. 10B is the brighter red colored areas. 9A is the brown areas / 9B = dark red.

1688319018_Screenshot2022-02-20at00-34-34TurkeyInteractivePlantHardinessZoneMap.thumb.png.e51badf4e33108c530b171a83e0aff40.png

Can access the full map of Turkey / zoom in much closer to specific areas here:  Can also switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit as well.. Other maps of the region can be viewed on the same site.

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-turkey-plant-hardiness-zone-map.php

• Like 3

The more I read this forum, the more I’m amazed at all the amazing, interesting climates around the world I never imagined existed. I live in west central Florida not too far from the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa bay and my area struggles to be a high 9B. Oh yeah, the Gulf Stream and Atlantic Ocean aren’t far from me relatively speaking - and yet I still have to fear for catastrophic freezes every winter and then hurricanes every summer. The southern US needs an east-west oriented mountain range B)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

10 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

The more I read this forum, the more I’m amazed at all the amazing, interesting climates around the world I never imagined existed. I live in west central Florida not too far from the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa bay and my area struggles to be a high 9B. Oh yeah, the Gulf Stream and Atlantic Ocean aren’t far from me relatively speaking - and yet I still have to fear for catastrophic freezes every winter and then hurricanes every summer. The southern US needs an east-west oriented mountain range B)

I hear you.  I am 4 degrees latitude south of Cairo Egypt.  I bet a cold front has never brought temps lowers than 30F there.  We both have the chance to see that every year.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

On 2/20/2022 at 2:45 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

Here's a more detailed snapshot from Plant Maps. Light pink is 10A. 10B is the brighter red colored areas. 9A is the brown areas / 9B = dark red.

1688319018_Screenshot2022-02-20at00-34-34TurkeyInteractivePlantHardinessZoneMap.thumb.png.e51badf4e33108c530b171a83e0aff40.png

Can access the full map of Turkey / zoom in much closer to specific areas here:  Can also switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit as well.. Other maps of the region can be viewed on the same site.

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-turkey-plant-hardiness-zone-map.php

I can grow coconuts!?!?

On 2/24/2022 at 8:55 AM, Austinpalm said:

I hear you.  I am 4 degrees latitude south of Cairo Egypt.  I bet a cold front has never brought temps lowers than 30F there.  We both have the chance to see that every year.

Are you in Egypt?

32 minutes ago, Muslim Gardener said:

I can grow coconuts!?!?

You might be able to!

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

59 minutes ago, Muslim Gardener said:

Are you in Egypt?

Nope.  South Texas.  Just making a comment about how much farther south cold weather travels in North America versus some other similar latitudes around the world.  Good luck with the coconuts.  We had several here before last years horrible cold front.  I am planting new ones.  We'll see how long they last.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

54 minutes ago, Muslim Gardener said:

I can grow coconuts!?!?

Depends..  For good looking Coconuts, If low temperatures in you're area stay above roughly 35F/ 2C, and days are warm / dry most of the winter ..and hot, with some rain during the summer,  ....maybe.. 

They'll grow in some of our desert regions here in the U.S. that are hot enough in the summer, mild enough ..most winters  ..but due to lack of much rainfall,  usually don't look as nice as they can in Florida, the Caribbean / Mexico, or Hawaii.  They'll survive very occasional, brief dips below 2c  but sulk and turn kind of yellowish until it warms up. Anything below say 29F -1.5C and long stretches of cool / cold and wet weather during the winter can really hurt them.

29 minutes ago, Austinpalm said:

Nope.  South Texas.  Just making a comment about how much farther south cold weather travels in North America versus some other similar latitudes around the world.  Good luck with the coconuts.  We had several here before last years horrible cold front.  I am planting new ones.  We'll see how long they last.

Okay. Happy palming!

23 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Depends..  For good looking Coconuts, If low temperatures in you're area stay above roughly 35F/ 2C, and days are warm / dry most of the winter ..and hot, with some rain during the summer,  ....maybe.. 

They'll grow in some of our desert regions here in the U.S. that are hot enough in the summer, mild enough ..most winters  ..but due to lack of much rainfall,  usually don't look as nice as they can in Florida, the Caribbean / Mexico, or Hawaii.  They'll survive very occasional, brief dips below 2c  but sulk and turn kind of yellowish until it warms up. Anything below say 29F -1.5C and long stretches of cool / cold and wet weather during the winter can really hurt them.

I didn't know that. Like coconuts in Arizona? Texas?

1 hour ago, Muslim Gardener said:

I didn't know that. Like coconuts in Arizona? Texas?

One was recently found growing outdoors here in AZ, in a suburb east of Phoenix.  Most that have been documented -by fellow PalmTalk Members anyway-  are located near Palm Springs, another town in the desert, only to the west, in California. A few others near the Salton Sea, ...A landlocked body of water ( Below Sea level ) near Palm Springs.  Very Hot and dry there and none of the Coconuts look exceptional.  One ( There were a few others, that got cut down unfortunately ) near Palm Springs looks pretty good.. Another in a town just west of Palm Springs there also looks pretty good ( Search the Forum for " Corona Coconut " )

You really don't start seeing good looking Coconuts out here in Southwestern North America until you reach Guaymas, a town along the east coast of the Gulf of California, in Sonora, Mexico. Hot ..and pretty dry there.. but much more  humidity. Less chilly weather during the winter there as well compared to where i'm located, just a few hundred miles to the north.  Cabo San Lucas and  the small resort town of La Paz, northeast of Cabo, at the southern end of Baja California have some good looking Coconuts growing as well. Hot, but not quite as hot as here down there, much more humidity and rarely gets below 45F all winter. Southern tip of Baja is surrounded by the ocean as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

One was recently found growing outdoors here in AZ, in a suburb east of Phoenix.  Most that have been documented -by fellow PalmTalk Members anyway-  are located near Palm Springs, another town in the desert, only to the west, in California. A few others near the Salton Sea, ...A landlocked body of water ( Below Sea level ) near Palm Springs.  Very Hot and dry there and none of the Coconuts look exceptional.  One ( There were a few others, that got cut down unfortunately ) near Palm Springs looks pretty good.. Another in a town just west of Palm Springs there also looks pretty good ( Search the Forum for " Corona Coconut " )

You really don't start seeing good looking Coconuts out here in Southwestern North America until you reach Guaymas, a town along the east coast of the Gulf of California, in Sonora, Mexico. Hot ..and pretty dry there.. but much more  humidity. Less chilly weather during the winter there as well compared to where i'm located, just a few hundred miles to the north.  Cabo San Lucas and  the small resort town of La Paz, northeast of Cabo, at the southern end of Baja California have some good looking Coconuts growing as well. Hot, but not quite as hot as here down there, much more humidity and rarely gets below 45F all winter. Southern tip of Baja is surrounded by the ocean as well.

I know all about the Alamo Sea in Los Santos and it's real life counterpart. Salton Sea is drying up though. 

13 minutes ago, Muslim Gardener said:

I know all about the Alamo Sea in Los Santos and it's real life counterpart. Salton Sea is drying up though. 

This is true, It is ..there are efforts being considered to try and counteract that however.. How effective they will be, if / when implemented, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the drying can be stopped ..or at least greatly slowed down. Salton Sea used to be a well known California tourist draw several decades in the past, would like to see it's appeal brought back to life again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Cabo San Lucas and  the small resort town of La Paz, northeast of Cabo, at the southern end of Baja California have some good looking Coconuts growing as well. Hot, but not quite as hot as here down there, much more humidity and rarely gets below 45F all winter. Southern tip of Baja is surrounded by the ocean as well.

Interesting note: all the coconut palms in La Paz and Cabo do not  fruit. (Well, at least not in La Paz)

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 4 weeks later...

@Muslim Gardener welcome! See my PM (private message).

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.