IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hybrid Trachy seeds, germination, etc.

BeyondTheGarden

Got some seeds off etsy from seller, "Desertscapenursery";  1. Nova x Wagnerianus; 2. Nainatal; 3. Nova. 

I tried scraping the fruit off the nova x wag but it's totally dry and not fleshy, and the endocarp came off with the fruit skin, revealing the endosperm.  I hope I'm getting the terms right.  I'm going to plant it and see what happens.  Not sure what to do with the rest.  I'm paranoid about mold because all of the Trachy seeds that I have tried with the baggie method have molded.  Even the ones that I have scraped the fruit and washed thoroughly.  

With standard fortunei, I know I can sow them directly in the garden, in the ground, and they'll sprout (no idea about germination rate).  But for more rare seeds I don't want to do that.  I know these seeds aren't that valuable/rare.  But I've got princeps seeds coming from Coldplant that I definitely want to get right.  

I know @Fallen Munk advised soaking in a mild bleach solution.  Any idea the ratio for that?  I'd hate to kill the seed.  But then again I guess the bleach wouldn't work in this case, as the fruit can't be removed without also removing the endocarp....  I feel like such an amateur asking how to germinate a seed.  Didn't have this problem with Jubaea or Cham radicalis.  

20220214_182905.jpg

• Like 1

I have never bothered this kind of things for trachy hybrids and sow them exactly like I have did with fortunei/wagnerianus which are not difficult. 
Princips I did the same but they have much more uneven germination rate in my opinion where some seeds where still germinating after a year. 

Southwest

• 2 weeks later...

Most municipal water supplies have bleach in the water, so I don't add extra.  Even with my Jubaea where I totally remove the endocarp.  I will say that every time that I have removed the fruit from trachy seeds and the endocarp comes off with the fruit, they always rot.  I got some takil seeds awhile back like that.  I think they were not mature.  I have about 100 princeps seeds coming from Coldplant, and about 300 Bulgaria X Wagnerianus coming from Plovdiv.   That's a lot of seeds to strip fruit off of.  I may just leave the fruit on.