IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large Howea Forsteriana transportation

PsyPalm

Hey all!  

I'm buying a fairly large (3m) Kentia for a client and was wondering if anyone here had any advice or experience transporting a palm that size (attached a pic from the seller for reference).  I rented a panel van and my plan was to just seal the dirt in the pot with newspaper and duct tape and then tie all the fronds up together and put it in the van sideways, lmk what ya'll think haha.  Thanks in advance!

272720944_350350526893330_4002450079418848878_n.jpg

How long a trip will it be?

Use plant velcro to bind the fronds more gently. I would avoid full horizontal. See if you can angle the pot inside a box or other support. Go fronds in first from the back for easy removal. 

Good luck!

@2hpgreat advice! I’m only transporting it ≈25miles so it’s not going to be in the van for very long, gonna do it tomorrow fingers crossed! I’ll update the thread with pics once I’m done 

I have transported several 24 inch boxed Howeas from San Diego to San Francisco. 

Fully horizontal is fine for this small palm*, start with the palm horizontal, while facing the pot, walk backwards with the petioles under one arm as you wrap them  tightly with plastic or string.  If the palm is completely withing the van then there is no need for further wrapping.  With larger ones exposed to freeway wind I wrap them with porous fabric (not plastic) until they resemble an Egyptian mummy. 

*Anecdotal comments say that fully trunked Howeas with many feet of trunk can suffer damage to the apical meristem during horizontal transport. 

IMG_1169 (Small).JPG

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Wanted to update the thread on this, was a successful journey overall!

Here's the palm when we picked it up, human for scale:

IMG_4674.thumb.JPG.76c6f06db23ac23c44a07b2d07792c00.JPG

The journey wasn't too long so I just gently taped the fronds together:

IMG_4675.thumb.JPG.17ef7bc08eddd04fb46ac275dbed69ee.JPG

IMG_4676.thumb.JPG.89aa634394612691b0dcaf9ef75491de.JPG

And here she is after a good cleaning/staking and placed in my clients entryway atrium:

IMG_4679.thumb.JPG.5265685804996192dd3be2bfb8badd67.JPG

IMG_4681.thumb.JPG.ff727162fe6653ce460cfa8c4c2e73e2.JPG

IMG_4686.thumb.JPG.6aa0d99bd8d07371b3f972d52ca67488.JPG

IMG_4685.thumb.JPG.f39adcfb9c13aa2af4ad63181edcad59.JPG

Gonna wait a bit before I change anything regarding the pot situation, I just left her in the plastic pot she came in for now and placed it inside a nice ceramic pot so she can acclimate to her new home before any root stresses are introduced.  But other than that I'm happy with how it came out, client is thrilled :D

@Darold Petty that is pretty freaking awesome transporting a boxed howeas in the back of a Tacoma, major props! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PsyPalm said:

And here she is after a good cleaning/staking and placed in my clients entryway atrium:

That palm is beautiful and looks fantastic in that setting.  I once transferred one that size plus 3 other 5-footers.  In rav4, 400 miles.  Prepared like you did and let the fronds lay where they wanted.  Forsteriana conveniently collapses like an umbrella; belmoreana not so much—stiff buggers.

Two years ago I moved my forsteriana from my livingroom to the salesdepartment of a toolswholesaler. The palm simply outgrew the space in my house. The total height was 5 meters and I moved it in my Ford Mondeo! The palm is still mine and I go watering it twice a week. 

gea14klein.jpg

howeawinterstalling2klein.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wimmie said:

The palm simply outgrew the space in my house. The total height was 5 meters and I moved it in my Ford Mondeo!

That specimen is fantastic.  Beautifully grown.  Whatever you are doing, you are doing it right! :)  Looking at your pot I’m wondering now if mine is over potted.