IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Office Wodyetia

Philly J

6 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

Nice. 

Rob how is Mr Foxtail at your pops house doing this winter?

Foxtails actually do quite nicely as indoor or indoor/outdoor palms.  They are tolerant of lower humidity and seem not to attract too many pests.

58 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

Foxtails actually do quite nicely as indoor or indoor/outdoor palms.  They are tolerant of lower humidity and seem not to attract too many pests.

Needs 3 grows on it haha, I had just a south window for it last winter and it SUFFERED lol.  3 whole dead fronds, had only 2 healthy ones and a spear before it went outside last May.  

but I have been battling mites on it every single winter too.  Easy to manage those infestations, no mealy or scale on it thank goodness.

1 hour ago, Philly J said:

but I have been battling mites on it every single winter too.  Easy to manage those infestations, no mealy or scale on it thank goodness.

What works for you? I'm using a combo of neem oil and my shower, and that's a lot of effort even with my tiny jungle. Plus it stinks. Every other option I saw was toxic, expensive, or me bringing in more bugs to kill these bugs and I dunno how I feel about turning my apartment into a mite combat zone. 

5 hours ago, oasis371 said:

"I had just a south window for it last winter and it SUFFERED lol. "

Not understanding, why do you think it suffered?

It wasn’t enough light.  Full direct for 3 months and immediately inside and no grow lights on it.  3 whole fronds turned soft and black in a matter of a week and then the dying just stopped and I had only two healthy fronds on it from September to mid May.  Grow bulbs on it this year right away and didn’t lose a single frond.

5 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

What works for you? I'm using a combo of neem oil and my shower, and that's a lot of effort even with my tiny jungle. Plus it stinks. Every other option I saw was toxic, expensive, or me bringing in more bugs to kill these bugs and I dunno how I feel about turning my apartment into a mite combat zone. 

Miticide unfortunately my palm brother.  In Canada we have a product called End All and it has a combo of pyrethrin and potassium salts of fatty acids.  For me it’s the only thing that has worked.

18 hours ago, Philly J said:

Rob how is Mr Foxtail at your pops house doing this winter?

Hey! Mr foxtail is doing well. He lost a few fronds as it always does.  Now that lighting tech has gotten better Iam going to build it a light stand to give it some extra growth. 

• Upvote 1

I originally thought the OP's picture showed the palm in a corner next to large windows (the purple being shutters). I see it's only light is artificial.  I overwinter mine, which is much smaller in a fairly bright basement with some natural sunlight but mostly LED workshop bulbs. Hopefully, it'll bet kicked out by mid April. They used to be available at the local big box stores..., not any more.

• Like 1