Jump to content
knikfar

Super Hardy Washingtonia in Fayetteville NC

Recommended Posts

knikfar
9 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

indeed a monumental palm worthy of care.  Ive seen posts on this one before on NAPA on facebook. There is a number of larger Washingtonia Filibusta on Ocracoke, and at least one large one on Hatteras.  The most northern unprotected appears to be in Avon NC, though there's a smaller trunking one in VB that i believe gets protection.  Photo of me with the Avon specimen

 

The Avon one, September 2019. 20190921_133310_HDR.thumb.jpg.81cc2ae08f3182005bc92be00de25e3f.jpg

Ocracoke from realtor photo, palm still there according to Google maps. 

2020-04-25.jpg.ff13b7e46568d5cbb0fa4848bd22202a.jpg

Another on ocracoke, realtor photo 2019

2020-04-25-1.jpg.8cdae61ecd446d88004c0b50c05f1c76.jpg

Screengrab from 2020 drone footage over Hatterss. Found old Realtor photos that show it was originally planted with another and had 6ftish of trunk in 2007  

1218747793_ScreenShot2020-05-24at3_09_55PM.png.8dc4c3e7fc122ecc423557109cf6fb71.png

That's so cool. Though I can't say I'm super surprised. The Outer Banks have their own special micro-climate. To the point where there are some plants that survive there that haven't further south. The winter of 2018 wiped out most of the washingtonia in the Wilmington area which is much farther south. And I know someone posted on here about a large canary island date palm in the outer banks. I never see those in Wilmington or on Wrightsville Beach. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr.SamuraiSword
3 hours ago, knikfar said:

That's so cool. Though I can't say I'm super surprised. The Outer Banks have their own special micro-climate. To the point where there are some plants that survive there that haven't further south. The winter of 2018 wiped out most of the washingtonia in the Wilmington area which is much farther south. And I know someone posted on here about a large canary island date palm in the outer banks. I never see those in Wilmington or on Wrightsville Beach. 

That was probably me, Ive personally seen 5 trunking CIDP on Hatteras, another two were posted by someone on FB in 2020, and google maps shows there may be a few more.   The outer banks are odd in a way, protection from the cold winds are the defining factor for survival, while that Avon Washingtonia which is partially surrounded by the house and other trees has survived, (and with fair amount of green fronds according to April 2018 streetview) a few palmettos/butia apparently died that same winter in the same town though more exposed.  Two Butia seemingly perished sometime between 2007 and 2016 in Buxton at gas station yet a CIDP only a quarter mile away has survived since at least 2007.  Speaking of Wilmington Theres a filifera there I believe that pulled through...  Another anomole in Buxton is a small date palm, originally planted in a group sometime before 2007 (according to streetview) and despite being planted in straight sand with direct wind exposure, has survived and persisted in a dwarfed state.... Photos from Sept 2019, 

20190921_175344.jpg

20190921_175416.jpg

20190921_175403.jpg

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
3 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

That was probably me, Ive personally seen 5 trunking CIDP on Hatteras, another two were posted by someone on FB in 2020, and google maps shows there may be a few more.   The outer banks are odd in a way, protection from the cold winds are the defining factor for survival, while that Avon Washingtonia which is partially surrounded by the house and other trees has survived, (and with fair amount of green fronds according to April 2018 streetview) a few palmettos/butia apparently died that same winter in the same town though more exposed.  Two Butia seemingly perished sometime between 2007 and 2016 in Buxton at gas station yet a CIDP only a quarter mile away has survived since at least 2007.  Speaking of Wilmington Theres a filifera there I believe that pulled through...  Another anomole in Buxton is a small date palm, originally planted in a group sometime before 2007 (according to streetview) and despite being planted in straight sand with direct wind exposure, has survived and persisted in a dwarfed state.... Photos from Sept 2019, 

20190921_175344.jpg

20190921_175416.jpg

20190921_175403.jpg

This is so crazy. The date palms survived 2018 but palmettos and butias didn't. The date palms are proving to be some of the most common survivors of the 2021 Texas freeze to. Maybe I should give one a try here in Raleigh? Crazier things have happened. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr.SamuraiSword
21 hours ago, knikfar said:

This is so crazy. The date palms survived 2018 but palmettos and butias didn't. The date palms are proving to be some of the most common survivors of the 2021 Texas freeze to. Maybe I should give one a try here in Raleigh? Crazier things have happened. 

I attribute their survival to level of exposure, most palmetto did fine in the southern OBX, I don't think any died or had very significant damage in Hatteras at least in 2018, It seems the 2015-16 freeze was worse in the OBX for metters/pindos.  The surprise for me was Avon where several palmettos seemingly died while the Washingtonia pictured had a fair amount of green....  Then again these palmettos were in a open area, but you be the judge...  

Washingtonia April 2018, solid 8-10 green fronds, even the volunteer survived, wonder what killed it later on?  Keep in mind it fared well after 2016 which killed some palms below...

1672760069_April2018.png.d74a027b3d09f84c2a451ba4c16af96a.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3674412,-75.499271,3a,75y,303.77h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5BJ6NpBVqNHkO_VDBlb0cw!2e0!5s20180401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Palmettos a few blocks south, heavy damage, one killed in 2015-16, also nearby damaged pindo 

1359908763_ScreenShot2022-02-16at12_50_04PM.png.194a65c1c3b7ef73af6db62550e4d6d1.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3591893,-75.5015914,3a,47.5y,308.31h,88.68t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVjSPjfRAamSJCf0dJ2SaqQ!2e0!5s20180401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

 

Well established Sabal Palmetto not far off in Rodanthe, heavy damage.  Dead ones around killed in 2015-16.  Some in the rear fared better

1694395393_ScreenShot2022-02-16at12_42_36PM.png.d622d6894ce412e5b0d327e9157bef93.png1596044236_ScreenShot2022-02-16at12_42_52PM.png.af9f58a244e269fbfa2cdb2fb6cdf204.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.582466,-75.4671657,3a,20y,71.19h,89.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sq0Bq09MmYR1r33YSU2Lk_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

One Palmetto dead, others damaged severly, few pindos in the rear much less damaged.

426397496_ScreenShot2022-02-16at12_45_56PM.png.09d5eabe86759afdbce283f31f75f261.png1021322978_ScreenShot2022-02-16at12_46_23PM.png.ef6a4b0b916b7ec0d272757cc1d24f41.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.582466,-75.4671657,3a,20y,71.19h,89.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sq0Bq09MmYR1r33YSU2Lk_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Again, the outer banks never fails to confuse me, 

 

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB

According to plantmaps.com the outer banks spans 8a thru 9a 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Fayetteville Washingtonia does have an “urban heat island” that is apparent this morning.  27F is the nearest reading and Airport reading.

Red Circle shows the NC Washingtonia 
Most of the cities/town airports in NC are showing several degrees warmer than the rural areas. 
Currently 27F. Myrtle Beach SC International also 27F. Charles, SC 27F. Atlanta 25F. 
Raleigh 24F, Winston Salem 23F. Cape Hatteras 31F. Charlotte 23F. Ashville 17F. 

F85A753E-C278-4BA7-B51E-E704F73CC5F9.jpeg

A6F6042E-89F7-4F55-AC17-F456B02A765C.jpeg

61AB44DE-4EDB-450C-B9A3-9767E2A90D25.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 3/13/2022 at 6:55 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Fayetteville Washingtonia does have an “urban heat island” that is apparent this morning.  27F is the nearest reading and Airport reading.

Red Circle shows the NC Washingtonia 
Most of the cities/town airports in NC are showing several degrees warmer than the rural areas. 
Currently 27F. Myrtle Beach SC International also 27F. Charles, SC 27F. Atlanta 25F. 
Raleigh 24F, Winston Salem 23F. Cape Hatteras 31F. Charlotte 23F. Ashville 17F. 

F85A753E-C278-4BA7-B51E-E704F73CC5F9.jpeg

A6F6042E-89F7-4F55-AC17-F456B02A765C.jpeg

61AB44DE-4EDB-450C-B9A3-9767E2A90D25.jpeg

I'd love to know if my house has more of an urban heat island affect than our airport. RDU is surrounded by forest and far from any downtown core. While I'm sure there is some heat island affect there vs rural areas, I wonder if my location, closer in and surrounded by other houses and development, might be a few degrees warmer. I have a weather station outside but its clearly in a hot pocket that gets significantly warmer than the surrounding area because its up against a tree, facing south, and gets sun from the morning until mid-afternoon. When I try to find weather stations closer to me than the airport, they exist but don't have any historical data. Any thoughts on how I might find this out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmy Pal

There are multiple Washingtonia Robusta plants people are growing in their yards in my area (Near Charlotte) though this area is on/near a lake which provides a little microclimate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
16 minutes ago, Palmy Pal said:

There are multiple Washingtonia Robusta plants people are growing in their yards in my area (Near Charlotte) though this area is on/near a lake which provides a little microclimate. 

I've heard about those! Which is why I think its at least worth a try here. I've heard the same about butias. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoatLockerGuns
56 minutes ago, Palmy Pal said:

There are multiple Washingtonia Robusta plants people are growing in their yards in my area (Near Charlotte) though this area is on/near a lake which provides a little microclimate.

I would love to see some pictures of those.  How tall are they?  Can they be seen from Google Maps Street View?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCFM
4 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

I would love to see some pictures of those.  How tall are they?  Can they be seen from Google Maps Street View?

Two big ones shown in this video. Second one is probably the tallest Washy in Charlotte 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
32 minutes ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Two big ones shown in this video. Second one is probably the tallest Washy in Charlotte 

I follow this guy on YouTube. This is the kind of thing that gives me hope about growing these palms here in Raleigh. But SOO many people on here just tell me they're all going to die, except for the windmills, minors and needles. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoatLockerGuns
3 minutes ago, knikfar said:

But SOO many people on here just tell me they're all going to die, except for the windmills, minors and needles. 

You will never know until you try.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZPalms
On 3/13/2022 at 6:55 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Fayetteville Washingtonia does have an “urban heat island” that is apparent this morning.  27F is the nearest reading and Airport reading.

Red Circle shows the NC Washingtonia 
Most of the cities/town airports in NC are showing several degrees warmer than the rural areas. 
Currently 27F. Myrtle Beach SC International also 27F. Charles, SC 27F. Atlanta 25F. 
Raleigh 24F, Winston Salem 23F. Cape Hatteras 31F. Charlotte 23F. Ashville 17F. 

F85A753E-C278-4BA7-B51E-E704F73CC5F9.jpeg

A6F6042E-89F7-4F55-AC17-F456B02A765C.jpeg

61AB44DE-4EDB-450C-B9A3-9767E2A90D25.jpeg

Interesting, Is the hope mills area warmer because of the lake and cape fear river?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmy Pal
On 3/15/2022 at 11:28 AM, GoatLockerGuns said:

I would love to see some pictures of those.  How tall are they?  Can they be seen from Google Maps Street View?

I can try to snag some pics but I don’t want to post street view address since it is somewhat close to my house lol but I will try to take some pics. I just have to find them again lol. I saw them when I was going for a bike ride for some exercise and I can’t really remember what streets I rode on that day but I’ll find them again sooner or later LOL. But there was one house that had a pretty decent sized one and then another that had some younger waist height robustas. When I find them again I’ll post the pics here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Simpson

Great pictures . I'm glad Ive got a few of those  hardy Washys  .

Will

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Simpson
29 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

Average 30 year  lowest Lows 12.3F

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
2 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

 

Is that average 30 year low for Winston-Salem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmy Pal

So I went back around yesterday to try to find that younger robusta and I found it! It has been there all winter and has done surprisingly well. From what I’ve seen this palm hasn’t been protected as last time I saw the palm it was late January on a very cold day and it wasn’t protected then. But anyways I took a picture for y’all. This is growing near Charlotte in NC. 

A7A03EEC-6A3C-417A-91B2-8100D41CF678.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
4 hours ago, Palmy Pal said:

So I went back around yesterday to try to find that younger robusta and I found it! It has been there all winter and has done surprisingly well. From what I’ve seen this palm hasn’t been protected as last time I saw the palm it was late January on a very cold day and it wasn’t protected then. But anyways I took a picture for y’all. This is growing near Charlotte in NC. 

A7A03EEC-6A3C-417A-91B2-8100D41CF678.jpeg

Thank you for sharing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoatLockerGuns
On 3/15/2022 at 4:00 PM, knikfar said:

I follow this guy on YouTube.

I like his videos by the way...thanks for sharing.  Dude has got to be a fellow Palmtalker.  You can't be that excited about palms, and zone pushing, and not be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 3/18/2022 at 9:06 PM, GoatLockerGuns said:

I like his videos by the way...thanks for sharing.  Dude has got to be a fellow Palmtalker.  You can't be that excited about palms, and zone pushing, and not be.

It would stand to reason. :) And you're very welcome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...