IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Super Hardy Washingtonia in Fayetteville NC

knikfar

This Washingtonia was planted at 944 Bragg Blvd, Fayetteville NC sometime prior to 2007. That's the furthest back Google Streetview goes. In the at least 15 years since it was planted, its experienced multiple single digits, low teens and even at least one drop to zero degree F. Until sometime between 2019 and 2020, it did have a single story commercial structure behind it. But considering that building was only a single story, I'm not sure how much of a microclimate it created since this palm has long grown higher than a single story. Judging by years of streetview images, none of the plantings around this palm appear to have ever received much care. So I highly doubt anyone tried to protect this palm during extreme cold events, including the 100 cold event in 2018. I collected seed from this tree yesterday and I hope to sprout some super hardy Washingtonia babies. To the best of my knowledge, this is the most northerly grown, long term growing Washingtonia on the east coast. I know there were more in the Wilmington area prior to the 2018 cold event but I believe most of those died from that event. 

Washy1.jpg

Washy2.jpg

Seeds1.jpg

Seeds2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

@ZPalms I visited the Washingtonia and collected seeds yesterday. I brought a tree trimming pole with me but the seeds were WAY too far up there for that. Thankfully, there were thousands of seeds all over the ground. :)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, scarecrow said:

Did you take note of the soil? Was it really sandy?

I didn't pay much attention to the soil but I know Fayetteville is in the sand hills of NC. So I'm pretty sure its sandy soil. 

• Like 1

I've known Washingtonia to survive 0 degrees in the arid west, but that's quite a feat in North Carolina!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

3 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

@ZPalms was gracious enough to send some my way, along with some of the Sabal palmetto seeds from that sight.  @knikfar did you collect any of the Sabal seeds?

Wash.filibusta-Sabal.jpg

I didn't collect any of the sabal seeds because I have over a hundred baby sabals in my greenhouse. In July of 2018, I collected seed from a sabal in Winterville NC. That sabal survived the 100 year cold event that happened in January of that same year. Not only did it survive, it had very little damage and produced a ton of seed. I planted all of the seeds I collected, thinking only a fraction of them might sprout. But they ALL sprouted! Now I have more sabals than I know what to do with and I'm trying to sell them on Etsy.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

I've known Washingtonia to survive 0 degrees in the arid west, but that's quite a feat in North Carolina!

Right? I honestly don't know how this one has continued to survive. And we've had three frozen precipitation events this year and it still looks like that! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scarecrow said:

Did you take note of the soil? Was it really sandy?

The soil was mostly of construction clay and sand, I don't know what's deeper but I dug into the ground to take 2 sabal seedlings when I was out there but the ground was freezing it made my hands hurt from how cold the clay was :floor2:

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

I sure hope they don't destroy those palms when the new development begins. I wonder if these palms are on city property or on private land? If the city owns them, maybe they can insist they stay with any new construction.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I sure hope they don't destroy those palms when the new development begins. I wonder if these palms are on city property or on private land? If the city owns them, maybe they can insist they stay with any new construction.

I've been doing some looking around for some information on what to do to protect this tree and its partners, and the only thing I can think of is buying the lot, but I don't know anyone who has the money to really just buy a lot, and the price they got for this lot is really expensive, and it hasn't been sold yet. I also don't think the removal and transplanting of the trees would be a good idea since this one has established itself pretty well.

I wish there was a way to fund enough money to buy the lot or something and turn it into some sort of park or anything to protect them and let the washies just do what they do and observe them also since their are established seedlings that also survived our recent ice storm, snow, and low temperatures but if anyone has any idea what to do, I'm willing to figure it out, but the lot is under franklinjohnsoncommercial and I've thought of calling, but I highly doubt they would care and It would probably make them want to sell the lot faster and give them more of a reason to just chop the trees down from the top.

:beat_deadhorse:

If theirs some way to do it through the city then I'm all ears so any information is good to me! but as of now I'm just brain storming :violin:

I wish I could comb the ground for every last seed but I did collect a boat load of seeds and will find somewhere where they can grow undisturbed and just see what happens! B)

Edited by ZPalms

6 minutes ago, Hutch said:

Can you ask the city to dig them up and move em to your place?

5 minutes ago, Hutch said:

If you can sorry...the city obviously doesn't care!

I haven't asked the city anything but I don't think the city would give me the resources free to move it or care about what I'm saying to figure out another way of protecting it but I could be wrong, I wouldn't even know how to explain why it's important because the average person would just see a palm tree with no significant of it's accomplishment in our climate :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knikfar said:

@ZPalms I visited the Washingtonia and collected seeds yesterday. I brought a tree trimming pole with me but the seeds were WAY too far up there for that. Thankfully, there were thousands of seeds all over the ground. :)

Good thing about Washingtonia seeds is that even if the seeds you collected were from 2020's crop (and most likely from this past year) they'll still germinate.  :D

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

3 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

There was a good sized Chamaerops in Centralia, must have been there at least 8 years or so, that was in front of I think a mexican restaurant.  Building was demolished and just about 3 weeks ago, they shredded the Chamaerops to the ground.  Pity, they had no idea what they were getting rid of.  I kept driving by hoping to catch someone there to inquire about purchasing it from them but no one was ever there when I was.  Until the day that I drove by to see shredded frond-litter all over the ground.  

• Like 3

@ZPalms the city probably doesn't own the parcel.  You'd have to find out who owns it.  I'm sure they wouldn't care.... until they realized that someone was interested in them, and then they'd be unwilling to let them go without capitalizing off of them.  I don't think there's any real way to win the situation.... but hopefully I'm wrong. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

@ZPalms the city probably doesn't own the parcel.  You'd have to find out who owns it.  I'm sure they wouldn't care.... until they realized that someone was interested in them, and then they'd be unwilling to let them go without capitalizing off of them.  I don't think there's any real way to win the situation.... but hopefully I'm wrong. 

That's the thing, that company owns the lot as of now but most likely if they figured out the general interest of the tree and what the importants of that tree is they won't want to let it go without making something off it, It boggles my mind thinking of a solution

Edited by ZPalms

21 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

The price being $319,900 is psycho for a empty lot

For over an acre, what is psycho about it? That would get you an empty 1/4th an acre here :huh:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

For over an acre, what is psycho about it? That would get you an empty 1/4th an acre here :huh:

I don't know much about pricing and lot sizes, I'm terrible at math, I'm a noob to that stuff and my mind is only thinking about the trees and seedlings but for that price it's a whole house to me like could they take a coupon or something cause you got to have a hefty wallet in the first place to be able to afford it and then the money to construct on it :floor2:

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

I don't know much about pricing and lot sizes, I'm terrible at math, I'm a noob to that stuff and my mind is only thinking about the trees and seedlings but for that price it's a whole house to me like could they take a coupon or something cause you got to have a hefty wallet in the first place to be able to afford it and then the money to construct on it :floor2:

Haha fair enough. I was just curious is all. Nothing wrong with thinking about, trees land and money.. I often fantasy of having enough money to buy all the steep sloped,  odd-shaped, undesirable lots to plant massive palms on them lol 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

Haha fair enough. I was just curious is all. Nothing wrong with thinking about, trees land and money.. I often fantasy of having enough money to buy all the steep sloped,  odd-shaped, undesirable lots to plant massive palms on them lol 

I have a sloped hill that goes down into a swamp next to my house, I've been thinking of stuff to put on it to help with erosion but also to look cool :floor:, I think trachys would look neat and I wanna throw some sabal seeds next to the swamp edge but annoyingly we have beavers in their that are cutting down trees so I can't just grow something in the swamp cause I know the beavers will shred anything I plant in there :wacko:

Edited by ZPalms

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

I've been thinking of stuff to put on it to help with erosion but also to look cool ...

One word - Bamboo.B)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

There was a good sized Chamaerops in Centralia, must have been there at least 8 years or so, that was in front of I think a mexican restaurant.  Building was demolished and just about 3 weeks ago, they shredded the Chamaerops to the ground.  Pity, they had no idea what they were getting rid of.  I kept driving by hoping to catch someone there to inquire about purchasing it from them but no one was ever there when I was.  Until the day that I drove by to see shredded frond-litter all over the ground.  

Brutal. We can't save 'em all I guess. Good on you for trying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I'll consider bamboo when I'm ready to destroy the ecosystem :floor:

Clumping bamboo won't destroy anything. Running bamboo is what you're thinking of. Not all bamboo varities are invasive. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

If you would have put a high vis vest, sun glasses, and a hard hat on, you would have had a cop there diverting traffic while you dug it up no questions asked lol

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I've considered bamboo and I think I could put it in a pot but I do like the idea of having some in the ground but I'd want a fast running variety but I don't wanna create a barrier cause that would take a lot of work

You might look into clumping bamboo then.  They'll never run or take over. Don't know what does well out there but Fargesia's do well here and I'm also trying a Borinda and Chusquea. 

• Like 1

Yushania bamboo is nice too and generally stays under 10' or so. It does need some mid day shade to perform best. I've had both Y. anceps and Y maculata and I prefer that latter species.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Even running bamboo is fine, you just have to manage it.  Which does take some elbow grease. 

.....and frequent visits from the lawn mower.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2022 at 10:49 AM, knikfar said:

I collected seed from this tree yesterday and I hope to sprout some super hardy Washingtonia babies.

Okay, where does one get in line? 
:greenthumb:

On 2/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, knikfar said:

This Washingtonia was planted at 944 Bragg Blvd, Fayetteville NC sometime prior to 2007. That's the furthest back Google Streetview goes. In the at least 15 years since it was planted, its experienced multiple single digits, low teens and even at least one drop to zero degree F. Until sometime between 2019 and 2020, it did have a single story commercial structure behind it. But considering that building was only a single story, I'm not sure how much of a microclimate it created since this palm has long grown higher than a single story. Judging by years of streetview images, none of the plantings around this palm appear to have ever received much care. So I highly doubt anyone tried to protect this palm during extreme cold events, including the 100 cold event in 2018. I collected seed from this tree yesterday and I hope to sprout some super hardy Washingtonia babies. To the best of my knowledge, this is the most northerly grown, long term growing Washingtonia on the east coast. I know there were more in the Wilmington area prior to the 2018 cold event but I believe most of those died from that event. 

Washy1.jpg

Washy2.jpg

Seeds1.jpg

Seeds2.jpg

indeed a monumental palm worthy of care.  Ive seen posts on this one before on NAPA on facebook. There is a number of larger Washingtonia Filibusta on Ocracoke, and at least one large one on Hatteras.  The most northern unprotected appears to be in Avon NC, though there's a smaller trunking one in VB that i believe gets protection.  Photo of me with the Avon specimen

The Avon one, September 2019. 20190921_133310_HDR.thumb.jpg.81cc2ae08f3182005bc92be00de25e3f.jpg

Ocracoke from realtor photo, palm still there according to Google maps. 

2020-04-25.jpg.ff13b7e46568d5cbb0fa4848bd22202a.jpg

Another on ocracoke, realtor photo 2019

2020-04-25-1.jpg.8cdae61ecd446d88004c0b50c05f1c76.jpg

Screengrab from 2020 drone footage over Hatterss. Found old Realtor photos that show it was originally planted with another and had 6ftish of trunk in 2007  

1218747793_ScreenShot2020-05-24at3_09_55PM.png.8dc4c3e7fc122ecc423557109cf6fb71.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

That is a great find. 
I have some filifera seedlings here with a Russian origin where the parent palms have to cope with wet cold now and then as well. Looking forward to see those growing in bigger palms as well. 

• Like 1

Southwest