IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Epiphytic Ferns

metalfan

so I can know what to look for next!

DSCN5335.jpg

I discovered a gentleman here in South FL who grows wonderful ferns--the Tropical Tassel Ferns.

I have collected several, from him and from other sources. They have turned into some of my favorite plants.

I have also collected some other epiphytic ferns. Here are a few pictures of ones in my collection. I have tried 2 Elaphoglossums, one died and the other is in a constant state of browned edges, even in humidity of 70+%.

Tassel fern

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Dear Gina  :)

those plants look great..and the still resolution is terrefic..

great work !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

These are considered fern allies.  These are called psyllotum (am not sure about the spelling though).

This one is my plant but this died on me already becaue of neglect.

My bad.

post-1017-1188042952_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gene,that's really cool! Send its ghost over to me! I want one!

This is from a plant show here.  Its also a kind of psyllotum that can be grown on teh ground like this but also grows through the crevises of trees and rocks.

Its supposed to take decades to get this big and dense.  I have this plant but is nowhere near this good looking.  I don't think the pictures do it justice

post-1017-1188044140_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

If I can find another plant like this I will send you thier seeds.  Those are the round things at the edges of the leaves.

They are suppose to be related to ferns but they don't produce spores - I guess that is why they are classified as fern allies.

They are only available once in a blue moon- not really commercially grown but are jungle collected i think.  I guess no one has a knack for growing them yet.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Dear Gene  :)

the last 3 stills of a perticular plant is very nice..it should be placed in china clay pots in the main entrance door way...to acheive the oriental look !

thanks for those stills,

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Gbarce @ Aug. 25 2007,08:15)

This is from a plant show here.  Its also a kind of psyllotum that can be grown on teh ground like this but also grows through the crevises of trees and rocks.

Its supposed to take decades to get this big and dense.  I have this plant but is nowhere near this good looking.  I don't think the pictures do it justice

I have seen something very much like this in S FL especially on declining mahogany trees. It seems to develop in decay pockets where branches have torn out from storms. Is it parasitic, like mistletoe?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

No I don't think its parasitic and it just feeds of the decayed matter.  I pot it in fern chips (which is dead material) and they do fine there.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

(Gbarce @ Aug. 26 2007,00:30)

No I don't think its parasitic and it just feeds of the decayed matter.  I pot it in fern chips (which is dead material) and they do fine there.

Thanks Gene. Is yours native to your area or is it exotic? I wonder if the ones I've seen here in FL are native or not. I'll get some pics (probably next week) and post.

Thanks--

Ken.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Lots of epiphytic ferns up here , like these growing on a palm at Flecker Bot. Gdns in Cairns .

Saw lots of Tassels for sale today at the monster market , nice full 4" hanging pots for only $7 .

post-354-1188116658_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Ophioglossum pendulum is also a native here , found this nice basket on a visit somewhere .

Its sometimes called 'Ribbon Fern' and can be found growing out the base of Platyceriums .

post-354-1188117207_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Ken:yes they are native species here.  The upright one is psylottum nidus but I don't know the name of the hanging variety.

Nice ribbon fern Michael.  What type of medium is used in that basket.  Normally when ferns like that are sold here its with a branch that they trained the fern to grow on.

I've tried putting them in a basket like that with jur fern chips and I don't think they do very well.  That's what I used for that psylottum that died on me.  could have been other factors but I am not certain that I have the right medium to begin with.

More pictures later if I can fix my card reader.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

That's what I hope my Ophioglossum looks like some day! Its so cool!

No, Gonzer, not a Selanginella...its a Lycopodium, aka Huperzia. I have a few now:

Carinatum

Hamiltonii

Phlegmarium

nummulifolium

surarrosum

For a little more info, slightly technical, on whisk ferns (Psilotum), try here:

Whisk ferns

_____

Fastfeat - thanks for the link!  There really isn't much infomation on Psilotums (now I am sure of the spelling).  I didn't even know that they are referred to as Whisk Ferns.

I have several more ferns I want to share but my card reader is really broken and needs to be replaced.  Till then.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

No problem Gene.

Hope you get your card reader fixed soon. I have one for SD cards in the computer, but the one I use most often plugs into a USB port, has a 3' (1m) cable, and cost about $5 at a big box electronics store. Might be easier than fixing the on-board one...

_____

Gene

Your fern is a Drynaria, possibly D quercifolia the "oak leaf "fern.These are epiphytic ferns native to SE Asia and northern Australia. Drynarias have two types of frond - shield fronds that trap water and decayed organic mattter, and regular fronds that produce spore.

The variegated one is nice.

Adelaide, South Australia

Classic Mediterranean climate

Zone 10a, maybe zone 10b

WOW that knocks my socks off! I have the Polypodium but am growing it as a terrestrial. I also have some in a basket, I may try to mount some to a totem.

Dryanaria....that's on my "to get" list!!!!!

These next few will be Placyteriums-  Placyterium grande here is a native of the Philippines in the Davao region which is way down south.

These are growing on a Dypsis (not sure of the exact species) but the stems are kind of too skinny.  It normally flares up wider when attached to a wider trunk or even a wall would be good.

post-1017-1188220421_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

This grande is attached to a cocos nucifera.  It looks fine now but it just takes one coconut to destroy teh beautiful shields.

post-1017-1188220517_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines